Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset at Taunton
I reckon Andy Umeed will be opening the batting for us in the CC against Somerset on Friday.  He's not in the Seconds team for their current match against Notts (and he was Seconds Captain - Poysden is now Captain).  I know that match will be finished by Friday, but the Management don't (normally) seem to like playing people in 4 day games, straight after a 3 day.  He'll probably open with Westwood (who's also not playing for the Seconds).  Hain IS playing against Notts, so it's unlikely he'll be returning to the CC team for the time being (of course, Giles and Troughton might decide to play him 7 days in 8 !).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
IanBear
Deserves chance and Hain should play as well .
Top 7 Westwood ,Umeed ,Trott,Bell ,Hain ,Clarke and Ambrose .That would match anybody in league .
Rest of team Patel ,Barker,Thornton and Wright ( if fit ).
What do you think ??
(15-05-2017, 04:36 PM)Richardparker Wrote: Deserves chance and Hain should play as well .
Top 7 Westwood ,Umeed ,Trott,Bell ,Hain ,Clarke and Ambrose .That would match anybody in league .
Rest of team Patel ,Barker,Thornton and Wright ( if fit ).
What do you think ??

They will inspect the wicket before selecting the team. Spinner friendly pitches at Taunton in recent seasons so Javid may play rather than Hain and offer a second spin option. Mark Adair likely to be in squad also as not in today's 2ndXI team so he may play if Wright is unfit, with Clarke and Barker taking the new ball and Thornton and Adair as change seamers and additional all rounders. Sunny Singh has bowled well in recent 2ndXI matches so he may also be in the squad as he is also not in today's 2ndXI team.
(15-05-2017, 03:53 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: I reckon Andy Umeed will be opening the batting for us in the CC against Somerset on Friday.  He's not in the Seconds team for their current match against Notts (and he was Seconds Captain - Poysden is now Captain).  I know that match will be finished by Friday, but the Management don't (normally) seem to like playing people in 4 day games, straight after a 3 day.  He'll probably open with Westwood (who's also not playing for the Seconds).  Hain IS playing against Notts, so it's unlikely he'll be returning to the CC team for the time being (of course, Giles and Troughton might decide to play him 7 days in 8 !).

Hain out for 13 in our First Innings against Notts Seconds.  I guess it's even less likely he'll be back for the Firsts against Somerset !

PS OHD is in the Seconds team - presumably demoted for a while ?!
The ECB, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that international cricket is not spread thinly enough at present so have awarded Taunton an IT20 this year. As a consequence, the usually homely ground is now dominated by a massive temporary stand. The kiosk that used to sell the biggest bacon rolls on the planet has gone and so has half the car park, making it even more difficult to find anywhere to park. If, like me, you will be using the park and ride, note that it doesn't run on Sundays although as we barely lasted into the third day last year that may be academic.

Somerset have some of their own issues having lost both their CC games so far. Perhaps they will feel they have some catching up to do and will produce a pitch where they might get some batting points rather than the minefields they have been favouring. Perhaps I will have the chance to see Trott and Bell make big hundreds together one more time. Perhaps...
(15-05-2017, 03:53 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: I reckon Andy Umeed will be opening the batting for us in the CC against Somerset on Friday.  He's not in the Seconds team for their current match against Notts (and he was Seconds Captain - Poysden is now Captain).  I know that match will be finished by Friday, but the Management don't (normally) seem to like playing people in 4 day games, straight after a 3 day.  He'll probably open with Westwood (who's also not playing for the Seconds).  Hain IS playing against Notts, so it's unlikely he'll be returning to the CC team for the time being (of course, Giles and Troughton might decide to play him 7 days in 8 !).

After that initial inns v Durham, Umeed looked completely out of sorts & way out of his depth  Mellor has a better technique & would therefore be a better bet to open
Singh not playing in the 2nd's either so could he be playing on Friday? Going for the 4 days, nice ground, nice town, will be in good company really looking forward to this trip.
If it's a raging bunsen he surely must play
The weather may play a role on team selection.  A lot can happen before Friday but I am thinking of building an ark in my back garden.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
The squad

https://warwickshireccc.com/news/preview...ship-2017/

Warwickshire Squad

Ian Bell (Captain)
Tim Ambrose (Wicket-Keeper)
Keith Barker
Rikki Clarke
Sam Hain
Oliver Hannon-Dalby
Ateeq Javid
Jeetan Patel
Josh Poysden
Sunny Singh
Grant Thornton
Jonathan Trott
Andy Umeed
Ian Westwood
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Warwickshire team

IJ Westwood, ARI Umeed, IJL Trott, IR Bell*, SR Hain, TR Ambrose†, R Clarke, KHD Barker, JS Patel, GT Thornton, Sukhjit Singh
Somerset team

ME Trescothick, D Elgar, TB Abell*, JC Hildreth, SM Davies†, PD Trego, RE van der Merwe, C Overton, J Overton, DM Bess, MJ Leach
Match details
Toss - Warwickshire, who chose to bat
Umpires - PK Baldwin and AG Wharf
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Frustrating first day.  Rain and thunderstorms in Taunton but back in Bristol, it's bright sunshine and looks like it hasn't rained all day.
I thought Umeed looked like a well-organised batsman until Jamie Overton beat him for pace.
It looks as though both sides are expecting spin to play a big part - good to see Singh making his Championship debut.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Once rain comes in over the Quantocks then its going to be one of those sort of days....
..... well .... we'll still be batting on the third day....
Unfortunately, a load of Quantocks again!
LE - aka John
I think Trott has no plans for an early walk over the Quantocks today......
(21-05-2017, 01:45 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I think Trott has no plans for an early walk over the Quantocks today......

Really sorry I've missed Trotty getting a ton again - and without wishing to put the mockers on him, maybe a second one. Just thinking about the post on here a few weeks about him being disinterested for a couple of years. If this is disinterested, more of the same please Jonathan!
Unforunatley it was a tea time walk across the Quantocks.... but an excellent score from Trott. Lets get to 400 and see what happens.... you never know.... it can be a strange game.
The loss of that final batting point (needed 8 off the 110th over?) was a tad disapointing..... anyway.... looks like our first red ball run out of the season concludes the innings..... Enforce a follow on and take all 20 wickets by tomorrow evening?
.... 80 odd for 4.... and Thornton getting his first .... and second first class wicket. Has this game still got legs to it? I doubt it.... but you never know

I know a few of the regulars on here are currently secretly watching the IPL.... but this has been a fasinating afternoon. ;-)