Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worcestershire RL Cup
Warwickshire now the new whipping boys of english county cricket !!
I enjoyed the game. As has been said,  Bell took far too long and Riki played really well as did Grant Thornton.

However, in simple terms they had some sloggers, as has every other team...and we haven't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Malc's post:
Harborne Bear
(12-05-2017, 05:49 PM)Lilly Wrote: My sentiments exactly. Thomason is 19, Livingstone at Lancashire is the same age and is performing to a far higher standard. I don't feel that any of us younger players we have will be of the level we need in this generation, and it will be a few years before the next crop come through and can be assessed. I am unimpressed thus far and we really need them to step up as the squad is on its knees

Though some performances by young players in our first team for the first time have been disappointing, it is probably only fair to judge them after a good quantity of performances. Thomason has played some good innings for 2ndXI, Lamb has played some outstanding ones on a regular basis. Unfair to judge them against Livingstone who is obviously a special talent, just as Hain is for the Bears.

May I ask on how many occasions you have seen these young players play for the 1stXI or 2nd XI? Maybe better to reserve judgement until you have seen them in person a few times. Adair and especially Thornton bowled well at New Road yesterday to keep the Bears in a game which looked lost after the partnership between Cox and Clarke, with the depth to Worcestershire batting line-up, with Leach in at number 9. Thornton deserved his 4 wickets and regularly beat the bat of Hastings and other batsmen who had destroyed the more experienced bowlers.

These younger players need support not criticism as they do have talent and hopefully with the right coaching can make it as future first team players.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanBear's post:
Harborne Bear, The Good Mugabe
(13-05-2017, 08:47 AM)Malc Wrote: I enjoyed the game. As has been said,  Bell took far too long and Riki played really well as did Grant Thornton.

However, in simple terms they had some sloggers, as has every other team...and we haven't.

Having been at New Road also, I also enjoyed the game, fluctuating one way and then the next. It was not easy batting against the new ball under cloud but was a good pitch to bat on, a good test of bat against ball. Warwickshire were always likely to have to bowl Worcestershire out to win the game, with 7 an over attainable with sensible batting and the occasional big hit. Thornton bowled outstandingly well under pressure, Adair bowled well as did Patel in his later overs. Hastings and Whiteley both had a couple of lives, as did Rikki Clarke. It was the later overs in spells by Barker and Clarke which went for too many boundaries and enabled Worcestershire to get ahead of the D/L target. Rikki Clarke's innings was outstanding, the management obviously decided to give Thomason an opportunity to bat higher when we could no longer qualify, he hit one enormous six but was unable to work the ball around for singles against the two spinners and was caught in the deep. Ian Bell may have scored another century but his slow play in the middle overs reminded me of the old style one day innings, scoring a run every second ball, as Shantry and Barnard bowled a good line and length to frustrate him. Overall an enjoyable game but always felt that Warwickshire total was maybe too low, especially with Worcestershire batting so deep.
I only follow internet and BBC commentaries. But we seem to be playing a game everybody else has moved on from.
And the makeup of the side looks terrible.
A top three all wanting to score a run a ball century followed by the wicketkeeper.
Very accurate "playing a game that everyone else has moved on from". Wasn't at Worcester but the first time I looked at a live score Bell had 20 from 40 balls, in excess of six and a half overs to score 20! Someone should explain to both captain and management how this works, we have plenty of centuries and near centuries but loads of defeats, this needs some team work and joined up thinking not a battle of personalities and I fear that is what is behind our present predicament.
I agree that some of our youngsters need "the right coaching" not sure who will deliver that though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
parkfield bear
I'm not sure exactly how many times it's happened, but it seems that nearly every 1 day game this season has seen an opposition batsman get either his career highest score or his first big total of the season. Didn't Joe Clarke get his first 50 of 2017 yesterday? I'm sure some statto somewhere can do the leg work on this for us!

Maybe the tide will turn tomorrow- no pressure on us, Yorks wanting a semi final place.
(13-05-2017, 11:51 AM)Rayb Wrote: Very accurate "playing a game that everyone else has moved on from". Wasn't at Worcester but the first time I looked at a live score Bell had 20 from 40 balls, in excess of six and a half overs to score 20! Someone should explain to both captain and management how this works, we have plenty of centuries and near centuries but loads of defeats, this needs some team work and joined up thinking not a battle of personalities and I fear that is what is behind our present predicament.
I agree that some of our youngsters need "the right coaching" not sure who will deliver that though.

Is it coaching or is it state of mind, attitude, confidence etc. Yesterday Worcestershire seemed to be risk taking, we didn't. Maybe we didn't take enough from Brendon Mc's involvement?
Not simply coaching I agree, our state of mind at present seems totally befuddled, we appear to have no game plan at all. I watched a little of Notts v Durham a couple of days ago, Collingwood, Billy Root, Hales, Read, Steel Clarke were playing a completely different game to the one we seem to play.
(12-05-2017, 08:27 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Following this from afar so many issues raised by you all do seem to suggest poor decisions by Bell and Troughton. Certainly 6 defeats on the bounce is unacceptable especially as two of those defeats at the hands of teams some feel should no longer be in existence

In relation to the four day game.... Possibly.... amongst other options (A division 3 with some newer counties, amalgamation, disbanding as 4 day teams etc etc...)  Derbyshire and Leicestershire have won the wooden spoon 70% of the time in the championship this century. Think about that .... That is now a firm pattern that isn't good for the championship... and the championship needs ideas to survive - division 2 is sadly now a farce... two leagues in one (competitive teams and also runs) where teams don't even play each other twice.

But I digress.....  As for the 50 over competition.... I have posted very seldom on this as it isn't my favorite competition - but the Bears results are terrible. We don't seem to be able to punch are way out of a paper bag.... loss after loss killing morale.

Normally I, rightly or wrongly, have an answer... on this occasion I don't really......

Not much we can do with the personnel.... we cant do a mass clear out..... really we can only change tactics.... which leads to the elephant in the room.... the one that in some will get the juices flowing...... 

To me, Bell wouldn't and shouldn't have been captain nor Troughton coach. Bell is a fine player - but not captain material and the whole set up is too cozy with the triumvirate of Bell, Troughton and Giles.
Before we get too carried away with our vilification of the team, let's not forget that we won this blasted competition last year with largely the same playing squad, bar Chopra (who I don't think played many games) and Laurie Evans. Perhaps therein lies at least part of the issue - Evans brought some dynamism to the innings (when it came off!) which this year has largely been sadly lacking. I don't know what the total count of sixes for and against is but I suspect the ratio will be significantly in favour of the opposition. A few more sixes in all of the games and things could have looked very different - such is the margin between success and failure.

I know that's not the full story and there have been many other failings with ball and bat but if we could unearth a dynamic big hitter perhaps we'd be a different proposition. I suspect the management have been hoping that some of our youngsters would have been the answer but sadly that hasn't really happened, although let's not forget that there have been some positives which hopefully we can take into the CC arena when it starts again on Friday - Hain, Trott, Bell, Ambrose and Clarke (at last) have all scored heavily at times and the bowling of Thornton yesterday offers some hope for the future too.

I don't think the picture is quite as bleak as some would suggest - changes definitely need to be made at every level but let's keep calm and keep backing the Bears!
[-] The following 2 users Like Harborne Bear's post:
IanBear, Malc
Indeed... a big hitter and we could run into form for the T20.... might as well experiment now.
(13-05-2017, 06:14 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Indeed... a big hitter and we could run into form for the T20.... might as well experiment now.
Don't forget de Grandhomme and Elliott for T20
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Laurie Evans was our big hitter at the end of an innings last season but the whole of last season did not see the amount of 300+ scores we have seen so far this season. Very rarely do we see this type of scoring during early season games. During our victories in this competition last year, we restricted Northants to just over 250, Leics 237, Worcs 115 and we defended 283 v Yorks . We also defended 283 and 284 in the knockout stages. It did help to not concede 300+ but we were able to strangle sides with less than 300 on the board 3 games on the trot. The poor results this season seem to stem from both the bat and the ball and although other sides have been able to score 300+ batting first or second, it's taken us by surprise and we just haven't caught up with everyone else.
(13-05-2017, 02:51 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 08:27 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Following this from afar so many issues raised by you all do seem to suggest poor decisions by Bell and Troughton. Certainly 6 defeats on the bounce is unacceptable especially as two of those defeats at the hands of teams some feel should no longer be in existence

In relation to the four day game.... Possibly.... amongst other options (A division 3 with some newer counties, amalgamation, disbanding as 4 day teams etc etc...)  Derbyshire and Leicestershire have won the wooden spoon 70% of the time in the championship this century. Think about that .... That is now a firm pattern that isn't good for the championship... and the championship needs ideas to survive - division 2 is sadly now a farce... two leagues in one (competitive teams and also runs) where teams don't even play each other twice.

But I digress.....  As for the 50 over competition.... I have posted very seldom on this as it isn't my favourite competition - but the Bears results are terrible. We don't seem to be able to punch are way out of a paper bag.... loss after loss killing morale.

Normally I, rightly or wrongly, have an answer... on this occasion I don't really......

Not much we can do with the personnel.... we cant do a mass clear out..... really we can only change tactics.... which leads to the elephant in the room.... the one that in some will get the juices flowing...... 

To me, Bell wouldn't and shouldn't have been captain nor Troughton coach. Bell is a fine player - but not captain material and the whole set up is too cozy with the triumvirate of Bell, Troughton and Giles.

Is triumvirate your favourite word?
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
narsty simon
2020will be his favourite year too
Hail Caesar!

(14-05-2017, 07:04 AM)narsty simon Wrote: 2020will be his favourite year too

Will he have 2020 vision as well
LE - aka John
Yes triumvirate is an excellent word... in cricket theres usually a triumvirate involved..... whether its sucess or failure.

As for T20.... I know you are all equally excited by this upcomming premier limited overs competition...... :-)