Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leicestershire
Leicestershire scoring trajectory:
10 overs: 80/1
20 overs: 125/1 (40/0)
30 overs: 194/2 (69/1)
40 overs: 258/3 (64/1)
50 overs: 363/7 (105/4) Clawed it back in the last couple of overs.

Not impossible to chase, assuming we can get some decent partnerships.
[-] The following 1 user Likes philly's post:
Warleybear
Run a ball 50 for Trott coming up.
I see the flaw in my plan.
WP gone already. 7/1.
Super Start...
Paul fondled my onion bags.
All over.................being taught how to bowl on a flat pitch.
Tim going well but, like yesterday, we're chasing far more than we should have had to.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Falling away quickly now.
Poor stuff from us.

We have been thoroughly outplayed in all but 2 games so far this season and our opponents are sniffing easy wins out as they should do.

It is looking a season too far for some players as we have all been saying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Measham Bear's post:
Bald Reynard
Dreadful with the ball, only two turned up with the bat. I can take losing but in reality the last two games have been spankings.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
We are in a mess, Bell needs to relinquish the captaincy with immediate effect if only to get his form back,18 championship games without a century! bowling has been our stronger suit in recent years, if this ageing attack can get butchered by Leicestershire what will Middlesex do on a Lord's flat track come August, the 2 biggest sides in the game Surrey&Yorkshire have both spent time in the mug's league of late, they came back strong especially Yorkshire in winning back to back County Championships
[-] The following 3 users Like narsty simon's post:
Bald Reynard, Leicester Exile, Paul
(02-05-2017, 04:52 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 04:33 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Don't forget that Leicester is a small ground so 300 is probably par...or am I just clutching at straws?

I think you will find Grace Road is probably one of the biggest in the world. However, that does create lots of spaces for scoring 4s (he says clutching at straws)

This is the team WB reckons should be relegated to Minor County status

Hopefully this puts WB's continuous, shameful sniping of a so called 'Mickey Mouse' county to bed
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
There are so many questions to be asked about WCCC at the moment and so few answers. Over the past few seasons there appears to be little investment in our squad, not simply financial investment but thought and creativity when making fundamental appointments in management, coaching and player recruitment.
Every position that becomes available seems to go to one of our old boys, that hasn't always happened, we used to be at the forefront when making creative and directional changing appointments. Some were good Woollmer, Donald etc, some not so good Greatbach etc, we were however on the front foot.
I posted on here last season questioning the effectiveness of Dougie Brown as our first team coach and thought naively that he was going to be replaced by Ashley Giles, good move I thought given unfinished and rudely interrupted business. Ashley however was given a seemingly superior role and the first team coaching role was given to Jim Troughton. For the life of me I cannot see what Jim is likely to achieve with an ageing squad supported by cheap imports that quite frankly would have struggled to make a Warwickshire second eleven in not to distant times.
Our batting coach I believe is Tony Frost who a short time ago (and I genuinely do not want to be rude) was looking after our mowers and cutting the outfield. Our bowlers look as poor as I can remember, I seriously don't think we have a genuine strike bowler, Jeetan possible? And yet every county we play from either division seem to have a couple of lads who make us jump about and get a 5 for on debut. Strange because Ashley tells us that it is very difficult and takes an age to secure a worthwhile new signing.
Ian Bell has returned from an illustrious international career that he claimed he had every intention of continuing with, has anything improved since his return to Edgbaston? Has the squad been galvanised? Have the young starlets that we have previously been able to rely upon surged forward? Most importantly has the atmosphere around WCCC improved and our ambitions blossomed? The sort of atmosphere previously experienced at this great club is not just absent, it looks light years away, almost a dream.
Still Edgbaston will probably be sold out for the Champions Trophy, the 20/20 finals day and the Test against the West Indies, who needs a cricket team!
[-] The following 6 users Like Rayb's post:
Bald Reynard, DaveC, Leicester Exile, parkfield bear, paulbear, Warleybear
We bowled the same amount of dot balls as they did but only 1 six says it all. We should never have had to chase that score but because our bowling looks as insipid as our batting, we now find ourselves losing to complete rubbish like Leicestershire. I bet they cannot even believe what they have seen from us today. We play Notts on Friday, I am going and God help us if their batting gets going as we will be chasing more than the huge total they made last year. Pitiful.
My word. Wasn't there today but was yesterday at Edgbaston v Durham. For me Bell is one of the biggest disappointments, he's not scoring runs, his tactics aren't up to much and I can't say he seems to light a fire under the rest of the team, unlike Trott and Jeets for example who are constantly encouraging the others.

I'm still desparate to see some of the younger players given a go, like a Javid, pleased to see Hain doing well and Poysden given a couple, didn't come off for Thomason today but he felt at least aggressive and a bit more interesting as both bowler and batsmen.

Also not sure where Clarke's at currently, seems totally out of sorts.

Finally, again mostly about yesterday but the mood from the crowd seemed very low/negative towards our own team yesterday, something must change.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
Oh dear. We looked to be roughly on course at 229/3, but our batting these days is so weak after the top 5 that all it took was one wicket and then we lost our last 7 wickets for 31 runs. At least only two teams have won all their games so far (and they've only played 2 games) so we're not out of it by any means, but it's critical now that we win our next match. If we lose, I fear we're out of the running.
Proud to be a Bear
Batting figures after 3 games

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/warwickshi...ype=season

Bowling figures

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/warwickshi...ype=season
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(02-05-2017, 09:51 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 04:52 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 04:33 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
Don't forget that Leicester is a small ground so 300 is probably par...or am I just clutching at straws?

I think you will find Grace Road is probably one of the biggest in the world. However, that does create lots of spaces for scoring 4s (he says clutching at straws)
This is the team WB reckons should be relegated to Minor County status

Hopefully this puts WB's continuous, shameful sniping of a so called 'Mickey Mouse' county to bed

There seems to be some confusion.... We were talking about the red ball game - not the white ball 50 over domestic competition or indeed T20. Leics and Derbys continuous failure in the championship is a totally different issue. To be clear a strong county championship is important - two teams sharing the wooden spoon 70% of the time this century isn't good for cricket. Changes need to be made - perhaps a third division with some minor counties brought in with counties like Leics and Derbys - or amalgamate a few. Its easy to not have any ideas and believe in a laissez faire way forward....

(02-05-2017, 10:24 PM)Rayb Wrote: There are so many questions to be asked about WCCC at the moment and so few answers. Over the past few seasons there appears to be little investment in our squad, not simply financial investment but thought and creativity when making fundamental appointments in management, coaching and player recruitment.
Every position that becomes available seems to go to one of our old boys, that hasn't always happened, we used to be at the forefront when making creative and directional changing appointments. Some were good Woollmer, Donald etc, some not so good Greatbach etc, we were however on the front foot.
I posted on here last season questioning the effectiveness of Dougie Brown as our first team coach and thought naively that he was going to be replaced by Ashley Giles, good move I thought given unfinished and rudely interrupted business. Ashley however was given a seemingly superior role and the first team coaching role was given to Jim Troughton. For the life of me I cannot see what Jim is likely to achieve with an ageing squad supported by cheap imports that quite frankly would have struggled to make a Warwickshire second eleven in not to distant times.
Our batting coach I believe is Tony Frost who a short time ago (and I genuinely do not want to be rude) was looking after our mowers and cutting the outfield. Our bowlers look as poor as I can remember, I seriously don't think we have a genuine strike bowler, Jeetan possible? And yet every county we play from either division seem to have a couple of lads who make us jump about and get a 5 for on debut. Strange because Ashley tells us that it is very difficult and takes an age to secure a worthwhile new signing.
Ian Bell has returned from an illustrious international career that he claimed he had every intention of continuing with, has anything improved since his return to Edgbaston? Has the squad been galvanised? Have the young starlets that we have previously been able to rely upon surged forward? Most importantly has the atmosphere around WCCC improved and our ambitions blossomed? The sort of atmosphere previously experienced at this great club is not just absent, it looks light years away, almost a dream.

Good post - challenges some of the "accepted" thinking.

Yesterdays result was very poor - as a competition it must have been difficult to sit there and watch.

(02-05-2017, 10:24 PM)Rayb Wrote: Still Edgbaston will probably be sold out for the Champions Trophy, the 20/20 finals day and the Test against the West Indies, who needs a cricket team!

Yes - after nearly three decades of membership, I ceased last year. I'm not into domestic 50 over cricket (prefered a 40 over league) and think that only championship and T20 cricket should be played. This year I have taken out T20 membership, purchased three days (nights) of the Test Match and T20 finals day. The Test Match was well priced by the club - the first three days roughly equal to attending four days of the championship.
A detailed report from George:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(03-05-2017, 12:20 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Oh dear. We looked to be roughly on course at 229/3, but our batting these days is so weak after the top 5 that all it took was one wicket and then we lost our last 7 wickets for 31 runs. At least only two teams have won all their games so far (and they've only played 2 games) so we're not out of it by any means, but it's critical now that we win our next match. If we lose, I fear we're out of the running.

I agree with you EB.  Our bowling was pretty atrocious, but the it was the batsmen (again !) who let us down (with the honourable exceptions of Hain and Ambrose).  Leicester clocked up an equally big 50 over run total against Worcester - but the Pears scored 360.  The Leicester attack is obviously not that good - it's just that we have such crap supporting batsmen - unlike Worcester. 

If Worcester can find good batsmen - surely a much 'bigger' County like us should be able to do it ?!
(02-05-2017, 10:24 PM)Rayb Wrote: There are so many questions to be asked about WCCC at the moment and so few answers. Over the past few seasons there appears to be little investment in our squad, not simply financial investment but thought and creativity when making fundamental appointments in management, coaching and player recruitment.
Still Edgbaston will probably be sold out for the Champions Trophy, the 20/20 finals day and the Test against the West Indies, who needs a cricket team!

Very good post Rayb (only your 7th ?!).  I agree with virtually all that - except possibly the statement that too many jobs go to our 'old boys'.  That policy is not NECESSARILY a bad one - Club loyalty can be beneficial - but that assumes we have the talent 'in-house', or can find good staff to bring back (I've yet to decide if Alan Richardson is one of those !).  There are many at the Club who don't really deserve promotion - and I might agree with you about Tony Frost (who was a good Groundsman - but had no history as a great Batsman - though I suppose he MAY be a good Coach).  However, we have a long history of 'over promotion' / retainment - Neal Abberley is one that immediately comes to my mind (though I am sure many on here will disagree) - and I do think Dougie was another.  We also have a habit of turning away staff that go on to make good Coaches - Graeme Welch (who did eventually come back - and then went again !) and Allan Donald are the best recent examples.