Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Games
to be honest i think it will do birmingham the world of good,
im a proud brummie and i hope to be going to some of the events,
we have the opportunity to make it the best games ever.
i will be volunteering my services.
Keep Calm i am a Warwickshire Bear
(21-12-2017, 01:51 PM)DaveC Wrote: Yes - and the city has to find £750m of it's own to stage them.

I suspect us poor BCC council taxpayers will be be getting a few more inflation-busting precepts added to our bills over the next few years.

The current administration are a total shambles - as the story below shows. I've little confidence that this will be delivered successfully within budget.

In fact we are looking long-term to move outside the city boundary because we're so fed up with the extortionate council tax.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mid...l-14057542

Dave.... the residents of Birmingham... well the ones not getting their council tax rebated... would be stuffed with more inflation busting increases anyway. It is rumoured that many councils in the country are considering a near 6 percent increase next year... and they arent holding anything.

The council tax is no longer fit for purpose IMHO.... it is punative and avoided by many newbies whos jobs are subsidised by the tax payer through in work benefits.

Anyway... good to hear that Littlepete... whilst in many ways I agree with Dave's view of council finances... I do hope this is a sucess and believe it will be good for the area.
(22-12-2017, 01:14 AM)littlepete Wrote: to be honest i think it will do birmingham the world of good,

And me Pete. I’m delighted. A real opportunity to showcase the city. I recall all the doom and gloom prior to the London Olympics and it turned out to be in my opinion the best for a long time and raised the profile of the paralympics tremendously.
(22-12-2017, 07:05 PM)stingray Wrote:
(22-12-2017, 01:14 AM)littlepete Wrote: to be honest i think it will do birmingham the world of good,

And me Pete. I’m delighted. A real opportunity to showcase the city. I recall all the doom and gloom prior to the London Olympics and it turned out to be in my opinion the best for a long time and raised the profile of the paralympics tremendously.

I've been waiting for this one!  Dodgy

No doom and gloom about London 2012 from me. The bid was properly though out and costed. And - it was the Olympics and it was London. I volunteered - sadly was not accepted - but managed to attend a number of events. It was brilliantly organised and was a once in a lifetime experience.

By comparison this bid was a last minute affair cobbled together by grandstanding local politicians - sadly from all sides. And it's being "delivered" by one of - if not the worst - performing local authorities in the country. Laughable if it wasn't so serious.

The event itself is a hot potato that takes a lot of inducement from the governing bodies for anyone to take it on. Hence the reason Birmingham ended up as the only bidder.

Oh - and the one and only event I might have been tempted to attend - track cycling - isn't even going to be in the city. They're using London.

London 2012 and Birmingham 2022 bear absolutely no comparison.

Hopefully I'll have long since moved beyond the city boundaries before the cost overruns start appearing on the council tax bills.
Dave.... your council tax is going up anyway.... you cant escape it.... :-)

Councils like to tax and waste.... at least with this we can have a laugh rather than it being spent on some group for Albanian folk dancing asylum seekers and their PC friends... or a Romanian poetry centre for the deaf.
When the Icelandic financial crash occurred some councils lost millions. It came to light that councils throughout the UK have millions invested " for a rainy day". I think it's time councils like Birmingham revealed how much they have stashed away and why some of it is not being used in these times of low/zero pay rises.
LE - aka John
(23-12-2017, 05:51 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Dave.... your council tax is going up anyway.... you cant escape it.... :-)

Councils like to tax and waste.... at least with this we can have a laugh rather than it being spent on some group for Albanian folk dancing asylum seekers and their PC friends... or a Romanian poetry centre for the deaf.

Birmingham council tax was frozen for 3 years from 2011 under the previous administration. Unsurprisingly once the red flag started flying over the council house it has risen every year since.

We've personally gone from just under £1100 in 2011 to nearly £1600 p.a. next year. And in SC we pay an additional £50 precept for our local devolved town council - whose every move is blocked or delayed by the burghers in Birmingham.

So please don't tell me it always goes up - the clowns in charge in Birmingham blame everything on Westminster as a pretext for their annual inflation busting hike when they could look closer to home. 

They even tried to explain that the £6.5m they wasted "resolving" the bin strike was not real money as it came out of contingency not revenue. A bit like claiming that money I spend personally doesn't really count if it comes from my savings account instead of my current account!
one of the reasons i dont post much on here is because your all up your own arses happy christmas you boring old farts you have never got a good thing to say anout anything thats not aimed at you Stingray.
Am I missing something - I thought Stingray was supporting your point of view,Pete.
LE - aka John
I believe passionatley in Birmingham hosting the Commonwealth games, HS2 and running the metro to Edgbaston and also all the way along the Hagley Road to Quinton.

And... as for the council tax.... it never goes down and mostly shoots up (the Government did stop councils doing it for a few years - but now they have been let off the leash again) .... and many cities who arent hosting the games will jack their council tax up anyway. So Im pleased Birmingham are holding the games... the City has a bright future.
LE if you look again it says its not aimed at you stingray
(25-12-2017, 01:22 PM)littlepete Wrote: your all up your own arses

From the man who spends his summers carting a silly little flag proclaiming his love for an average pug-faced all-rounder, posts - unbidden - reams of badly composed photos of half-empty cricket grounds and regularly regales us with grammatically-challenged reviews of half-remembered (for very good reason) bands that takes the biscuit.

(25-12-2017, 01:22 PM)littlepete Wrote: i dont post much on here

A wise policy. Perhaps you should adhere to it more rigorously.

Sorry for the discourtesy folks. I may have strong opinions which I will always state robustly. But I have never resorted to personal abuse (until now!) in 17 years of posting on this site and it's forerunners.
ouch ha ha ha i find your remarks quite funny Dave C as for having aknock at rikki clarke why not do it to his face oh you cant do that can you because he is playing for a club in top flight not second devision, you want to have a go at my photography come see me face to face i will put you in the picture, oh if i remember right you dont go to watch many games, but please please come say hello next time you do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes littlepete's post:
narsty simon
(26-12-2017, 05:51 PM)littlepete Wrote: LE if you look again it says its not aimed at you stingray

Ah - you missed a full stop before "It's" Tongue - see you are not the only Pedant - he he
LE - aka John
(25-12-2017, 01:22 PM)littlepete Wrote: one of the reasons i dont post much on here is because your all up your own arses happy christmas you boring old farts you have never got a good thing to say anout anything thats not aimed at you Stingray.

Just one other thing Pete - nowadays someone just turned 70 is no longer considered old. Tongue
LE - aka John
Chuckle LE i do find that very amusing(full stop)
[-] The following 1 user Likes littlepete's post:
Leicester Exile