Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Surrey Edgbaston 21/4
We sat in the Grandstand at the 50 over final at Lord's. A real mix of Bears, Surrey and neutrals. Arrogance of Surrey fans was a delight to witness!! I came across a Twitter conversation on the Sunday suggesting all Bears fans were drunken, uncouth, foul mouthed etc. I simply challenged this.....never got a reply and was blocked by 5 Surrey supporters within 5 minutes! Bizarre.
(25-04-2017, 12:03 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(24-04-2017, 06:20 PM)paulbear Wrote: I can understand the idea of not declaring. Can you imagine a few of their side getting in and perhaps Sanga giving it a biff. If that had happened and we'd have lost then I can only imagine how low the changing room would be. Good to see that Dernbach's figures since his wicket maiden X2 were 23-1-98-0, now that's more like it you big showboating poser. I asked for a bit of fight for today and we obviously showed it and I hope those Surrey big mouths sitting under the scoreboard were a bit quieter once they knew that the 'Strutters' couldn't win. Best day of the season so far.

There was no way Surrey could win, no side would chase down in excess of8 and over on the 4th day, in the unlikely event of them getting anywhere near we can put9fielders on the boundary & bowl outside leg stump
Surrey could have won if just one big hitter gets in. I have seen plenty of fielders on the boundary before and it's no guarantee of saving runs. In the days when 5 per over was considered a lot, Essex beat Middlesex chasing 7 an over off 30 with people around the boundary and the fact that our fielders are not spring chickens any more makes it a bit more possible. Ask Boltonboy about Northants coming close to winning in August 1987, needing 222 when bad light and rain came with Northants 207-7 from 26.5 overs.
Patel would have bowled probably half those over & no one would have taken him apart on a4th day pitch
In our only defeat of 2012, Patel took 7-75 in the first innings v Somerset and on the 4th day of that game Somerset got to their target of 271 with Patel getting 0-96. I'm not saying that on Monday it would have been possible but it would not have been impossible and the above example shows that Patel on a 4th innings pitch is capable of being taken apart as was the case in that game. In these days of faster scoring in all forms of cricket, not everything is out of reach and even a rate of 8+ is possible especially as the chances of being bowled out in a session did not seem likely.
(25-04-2017, 08:30 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Patel would have bowled probably half those over & no one would have taken him apart on a4th day pitch

Hi Simon

I thought that the boys did really well yesterday to prevent a 'cheating' Surrey team from winning the match. The behaviour of both Curran Brothers was disgraceful (Tom in the Bears first innings - mouthing off at Javid when he got him out - Sam in Surrey's innings for refusing to walk off when given out lbw + Surrey's "synchronised appealing" which was undertaken simply to put the umpires under pressure - When the deep square leg and fine leg appeal for lbw you know that most probably they have been instructed to do so by either or both the Captain & Coach. Also their slowing down of the over rate on Sunday evening in an attempt to put more pressure on the Warwickshire Batsmen. Having said that the boys showed some real grit and determination in batting all day yesterday and it was a shame that neither Tim Ambrose nor Ian Bell were able to get a well deserved ton - Bell's innings was especially significant being Captain - Hopefully it will hold him and the team in good stead for the rest of the season.

Getting back to Surrey it seems acceptable these days that their gamesmanship etc is all part of the game - That has to change -It sets a bad example to youngsters both watching and playing at their respective level(s) - There's no excuse for such behaviour and it should not be tolerated - Its not good for the game - Speak soon eh?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DJL's post:
narsty simon
Obviously a huge improvement. But we have fielded three times and conceded close to, or over, 400 every time.
The batting has attracted criticism but the bowlng is a worry. No one who is young enough or quick enough to really take it to the opposition.
(25-04-2017, 09:37 PM)DJL Wrote:
(25-04-2017, 08:30 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Patel would have bowled probably half those over & no one would have taken him apart on a4th day pitch

Hi Simon

I thought that the boys did really well yesterday to prevent a 'cheating' Surrey team from winning the match. The behaviour of both Curran Brothers was disgraceful (Tom in the Bears first innings - mouthing off at Javid when he got him out - Sam in Surrey's innings for refusing to walk off when given out lbw + Surrey's "synchronised appealing" which was undertaken simply to put the umpires under pressure - When the deep square leg and fine leg appeal for lbw you know that most probably they have been instructed to do so by either or both the Captain & Coach. Also their slowing down of the over rate on Sunday evening in an attempt to put more pressure on the Warwickshire Batsmen. Having said that the boys showed some real grit and determination in batting all day yesterday and it was a shame that neither Tim Ambrose nor Ian Bell were able to get a well deserved ton - Bell's innings was especially significant being Captain - Hopefully it will hold him and the team in good stead for the rest of the season.

Getting back to Surrey it seems acceptable these days that their gamesmanship etc is all part of the game - That has to change -It sets a bad example to youngsters both watching and playing at their respective level(s) - There's no excuse for such behaviour and it should not be tolerated - Its not good for the game - Speak soon eh?

Excellent post Dave, Batty has always been a mouthy cricketer & it's obviously rubbed off on his team mates, interestingly when we spoke to Ashley on Monday evening about their chances of winning the championship he wasn't convinced, great to chat the other day, you going to Taunton?
My starting assumption is that cricket supporters are likely to be nicer people than the general population; but Surrey fans to seem to be the exception that proves the rule.
My most difficult contact with a Surrey supporter was when I had my hip replacement operation with an epidural anesthetic rather than a general one; and the anesthetist spent the whole operation telling me about how great Surrey were.  I felt I wasn't in a position to argue because he had rather a lot of power over me so I had to bite my tongue pretty hard.
To be fair, if you have to have an operation, talking about cricket while it is going on is probably one of the better ways of passing the time.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 3 users Like Terry's post:
Malc, parkfield bear, Paul
Surrey fans have a superiority complex and like Yorkshire they seem to forget that most of their glories lie in the past, Recently, Boycott was on Dermot O'Leary's show going on about how great Yorkshire are then just before he went he had to get the last word in, "Remember we have won more championships then anyone.." . Yes, not many in the last 50 years though, 4 Mr Boycott as well as very few One-day trophies and 18 out of 21 semi-final defeats since 1979. If these bragging other counties want to argue about success, most trophies in the last 10 years, Warwickshire, Sussex, Hampshire, Durham - 4 each. Last 15 yrs Sussex 7, Warwickshire 6. Last 20 Surrey 8, Sussex/Warwickshire 7. Last 25 Warwickshire 13, Surrey 9, Lancs/Gloc 8 and last 30 years Warwickshire 14, Lancs 11, Surrey 9. Warwickshire seem to feature rather a lot wouldn't you say. You can't argue with facts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Warleybear
Can't believe you listen to dreadful o dreary
I don't but as I cannot get 6 music in my car it is the lesser of many evils and besides, it automatically came on when I first got into my car. I was expecting 'Sounds of the 60's' (Brian Matthew R.I.P.) but got Derm and Borecott.
SadlySOTShas been moved to6am,well worth waking up for though
(26-04-2017, 09:23 PM)paulbear Wrote: I don't but as I cannot get 6 music in my car it is the lesser of many evils and besides, it automatically came on when I first got into my car. I was expecting 'Sounds of the 60's' (Brian Matthew R.I.P.) but got Derm and Borecott.

Can only be the lesser of2evils
I see that Gareth Batty has gone from originally claiming that he thought that Surrey could win every match this season (they didn't) to saying that they can win every competition.  After Somerset recovered from 22-5 to make almost 300 and beat Surrey yesterday, maybe he is reconsidering again.
When I saw him give a bowling masterclass at Lord's in February, he was surprisingly self-deprecating. So I suspect a lot of his attitude is a bit of a front.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
journeyman cricketer Batty

He certainly has plenty of 'Front' and also a short fuse. In did hear an interview with him though with Pat Murphy about a week ago and very surprisingly he came across as a forthright, intelligent, honest and friendly individual who tried very hard not to paint a bravado-laden picture of health on the Surrey side and I did have a slightly changed opinion of him after the interview had finished.