Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Surrey Edgbaston 21/4
(24-04-2017, 03:51 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Surely we'll declare at tea? 30 overs left to bowl them out, they're not going to score at 9 an over on a fourth day pitch!

I'm saying nothing   Eatdrink020
Astounding, I cannot believe we're carrying on!
Proud to be a Bear
Surely they will have know if they is a possibility of getting 10 wickets in a session. If not then why spend the time fielding - much better to bat on.
LE - aka John
Perhaps they knew that Surrey would bowl Dernbach which is a guarantee of flowing runs?
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(24-04-2017, 04:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Surely they will have know if they is a possibility of getting 10 wickets in a session. If not then why spend the time fielding - much better to bat on.

Batty has been dangerous, and Surrey's other bowlers haven't bowled well. I mean it's not as if we've got a world class spinner in our ranks. Oh wait...
Proud to be a Bear
Match drawn...
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Just got home. Impressed with the attitude today - well done, Bears. Also, good to get back to normal with the final 5 wickets scoring more than the top 5!
Well done you Bears. Much much better performances and a good result all things considered.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Should have declared @tea & had a go @them,they couldn't win the game, we probably wouldn't but you don't know if you don't try
[-] The following 3 users Like narsty simon's post:
Exiled Bear, Lilly, Paul
While it's a refreshingly improved performance, I'm not sure why we didn't at least try and bowl them out in 30 overs. The 5 points for a draw don't really help us that much (not compared to the possible 16 for the win) and we've got to take our chances of going for a win when we can! It's not as if Barker and Wright needed batting practice, they've been among our most in form batsmen this season!! I hope we don't come to regret this come the end of the season.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
narsty simon
I can understand the idea of not declaring. Can you imagine a few of their side getting in and perhaps Sanga giving it a biff. If that had happened and we'd have lost then I can only imagine how low the changing room would be. Good to see that Dernbach's figures since his wicket maiden X2 were 23-1-98-0, now that's more like it you big showboating poser. I asked for a bit of fight for today and we obviously showed it and I hope those Surrey big mouths sitting under the scoreboard were a bit quieter once they knew that the 'Strutters' couldn't win. Best day of the season so far.
Was never worth the gamble to declare. I'm all for attacking captaincy, but we needed another 10-20 overs to consider it on what was a good pitch, no one was going to run through them.

Much better performance. Good that Ian and Amby have joined in with the bat. Still hot favourites to finish bottom of the pile, but we can compete in the process at least!
Table doesn't make particularly happy reading:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-champ...ointstable
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
This could be considered even more depressing reading!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-cha...tournament
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Never mind about the table looks now. Once the first win is out of the way (Don't be cynical, it will happen) it gives a significant amount of points more than a draw and things could look a lot better. The lack of CC games might be a good thing over the next few weeks and if we can get a good start in the one - day games, we might get a bit of confidence back. I hope this becomes a turning point as at the end of the 2nd day, everyone was talking about a 3rd innings defeat in a row. COYB.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
(24-04-2017, 06:20 PM)paulbear Wrote: I can understand the idea of not declaring. Can you imagine a few of their side getting in and perhaps Sanga giving it a biff. If that had happened and we'd have lost then I can only imagine how low the changing room would be. Good to see that Dernbach's figures since his wicket maiden X2 were 23-1-98-0, now that's more like it you big showboating poser. I asked for a bit of fight for today and we obviously showed it and I hope those Surrey big mouths sitting under the scoreboard were a bit quieter once they knew that the 'Strutters' couldn't win. Best day of the season so far.

There was no way Surrey could win, no side would chase down in excess of8 and over on the 4th day, in the unlikely event of them getting anywhere near we can put9fielders on the boundary & bowl outside leg stump
(24-04-2017, 09:23 PM)paulbear Wrote: Never mind about the table looks now. Once the first win is out of the way (Don't be cynical, it will happen) it gives a significant amount of points more than a draw and things could look a lot better. The lack of CC games might be a good thing over the next few weeks and if we can get a good start in the one - day games, we might get a bit of confidence back. I hope this becomes a turning point as at the end of the 2nd day, everyone was talking about a 3rd innings defeat in a row. COYB.
I disagree about the lack of games, the break has come @a bad time, after a promising finish to this game I think we need to play again sooner rather than later
(24-04-2017, 06:20 PM)paulbear Wrote: I can understand the idea of not declaring. Can you imagine a few of their side getting in and perhaps Sanga giving it a biff. If that had happened and we'd have lost then I can only imagine how low the changing room would be. Good to see that Dernbach's figures since his wicket maiden X2 were 23-1-98-0, now that's more like it you big showboating poser. I asked for a bit of fight for today and we obviously showed it and I hope those Surrey big mouths sitting under the scoreboard were a bit quieter once they knew that the 'Strutters' couldn't win. Best day of the season so far.

It was only last season that I realised how annoying Surrey fans are! Goodness me, what an odd bunch. At The Oval there's a bigger bunch who sit in the Peter May stand with the same attitude as those who ventured to Edgbaston this season and last season. I remember reading an interview with Bumble about rivalry - he said that most folks think that Lancs want to beat Yorks more than anyone else. He suggested that it was Surrey that topped their list....as they do everyone else's.
The Surrey fans I was sat near on Sunday kept going on about how amazing a keeper Foakes is - that'll be why he let through 14 byes in the second innings and dropped a dolly of a catch down the leg side in the first innings then...
Proud to be a Bear
We sat in the Grandstand at the 50 over final at Lord's. A real mix of Bears, Surrey and neutrals. Arrogance of Surrey fans was a delight to witness!! I came across a Twitter conversation on the Sunday suggesting all Bears fans were drunken, uncouth, foul mouthed etc. I simply challenged this.....never got a reply and was blocked by 5 Surrey supporters within 5 minutes! Bizarre.