Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Surrey Edgbaston 21/4
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/preview...ionship-2/

Last chance saloon for some of the batsmen I guess (particularly Porterfield and Mellor) ?!  Hain out, Westwood and Lamb in.  Otherwise pretty much the same squad as the Yorkshire and first Surrey games - though Panayi and Singh are not included.
Surprised Lamb in the squad and not Javid unless he is injured
(20-04-2017, 04:05 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Surprised Lamb in the squad and not Javid unless he is injured

I agree, I thought Ateeq would be a shoo-in (for Hain).  He is playing (and scored a 50 in the first innings) in the current Seconds game against the Pears.  Westwood and Lamb are also playing in that - and they're in the Surrey squad.
Looking at the squad, one of the two openers used this season will probably be omitted for the return of Ian Westwood.

Also the presence of Grant Thornton in the squad gives the option of changing one of the bowlers, or even one of the all rounders.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(20-04-2017, 04:16 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Looking at the squad, one of the two openers used this season will probably be omitted for the return of Ian Westwood.

Also the presence of Grant Thornton in the squad gives the option of changing one of the bowlers, or even one of the all rounders.

Yes, I would guess Porterfield would stay and Westwood will be the other Opener in place of Mellor. Of course, that would mean that Mellor will either drop down the order in place of Hain, or Lamb will come in.
Westwood seems to have improved whilst he was injured!!
None of the possible opening partnerships will post 50.
[-] The following 1 user Likes exiledinkent's post:
Paul
It would be good to give Alex Mellor another chance to open, and even bring in Grant Thornton.

I'd expect Matt Lamb to come into the side in place of Sam Hain.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Just looked at the 2nd team score Javid made 16 today so is not injured. so i guess the question is does Ian Jim and Ashley only see him as a one day player
It seems that Westie, Matt Lamb & Grant Thornton were withdrawn from the game this morning, with Liam Banks & Henry Brooks coming into the side.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(20-04-2017, 05:03 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: It would be good to give Alex Mellor another chance to open, and even bring in Grant Thornton.

I'd expect Matt Lamb to come into the side in place of Sam Hain.

Lamb won't play,Westwood,Mellor ,Porterfield, Trott &Bell the top5
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Bald Reynard
I hope Mellor stays in the side and has a longer run, I'd drop Porter field. Very disappointed Javid is not in this side, he's scored a century I think against some MCC young cricketers side, so is obviously in some sort of form.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
(20-04-2017, 06:21 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: It seems that Westie, Matt Lamb & Grant Thornton were withdrawn from the game this morning, with Liam Banks & Henry Brooks coming into the side.

And Mark Adair.  He must be very near a First Team return - good - we need more Seam bowling alternatives, as well as Batsmen ! Adair looks like the cream of the upcoming youngsters - and is a very decent batsman.
I think Adair is a bowler first - but a man who puts Clarke under some much needed pressure for his place, that or OHD.

I think Mellor will be giving way for Westwood, Lamb for Hain.
Javid and Westwood in for Hain and Mellor.
Proud to be a Bear
Javid in. There was no way Mellor was staying in, not a proper opener. What happened to Lamb?
Javid wasn't in the squad but now playing, I'm happy but confused. Though I'm happy for Ian Westwood too, I feel like the older players who haven't been performing have been let off, drop the 2 younger batsmen instead? Oh well.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bloomy's post:
Bald Reynard
Toss uncontested. They've put us in.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
It would have been nice to see a youngster or two, but let's hope the players coming in can make a difference. A half century by Westy would settle some nerves!
Only three under-30s in last week's team, two of whom have now been dropped. And we've brought in a 34-year old. Some transition that.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(21-04-2017, 10:55 AM)Bloomy Wrote: Javid wasn't in the squad but now playing, I'm happy but confused. Though I'm happy for Ian Westwood too, I feel like the older players who haven't been performing have been let off, drop the 2 younger batsmen instead? Oh well.

Agree with you on those 2 points Bloomy !