Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Yorkshire
It's a good point Bloomy. There's a lot of talk about few youngsters banging the door down to get into the first team but if we dropped some of those first teamers how many of them would start banging the door down to get back in? I think we'd learn a lot not just about how good the kids are but also about how much desire the more experienced players have.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(17-04-2017, 09:38 AM)Malc Wrote:
(17-04-2017, 08:16 AM)Grasscutter Wrote:
(16-04-2017, 08:12 PM)Malc Wrote: What happens now then? Who's to be dropped? Who comes in?

Is Westy fit yet? Mark Adair can't be far away. Lamb? Umeed?

Yes, the short term of Friday to deal with - what would we do in Jim's shoes? I think he needs to set the cat amongst the pigeons a little in what we assume is a 'cosy' squad.

1) Westwood, if he's had enough middle time to come in for Mellor. Likeable... but a wicketkeeper. Just Westwood sticking around might allow Trott and Bell some time to relax.

2) Adair, again, if ready should surely to be taking the place of OHD. With a bowling average of 39 and a genuine number 11, surely he needs to be relegated to white ball only. With those stats to top, surely Adair is worth a run in the side bringing some much needed youth in while at least trying to stay up.

3) Is it not time for Barker to bat at 7 and Clarke at 8? I cannot remember Clarke's last contribution. Clarke is undoubtedly a man over the hill in the 4 day game - but excellent for 10 overs and a biff against the white ball. A man going through the motions I feel, but we need him with his ideal replacement in India.  

4) I'd be tempted to give Hain one more game, however in a 14 game season his place has to be under threat from any given young batting talent available frankly! Javid maybe leading the way here.

Thoughts? How do we make the best of a dreadful situation?

There are so many sides to this - let's be positive, it's a long season, we've lost to 2 very good teams, returning players will change the situation, Gilo and Jim know what they're doing......or the.....The batting has been dreadful since mid season 2015, Bell scored 600 runs last season and 170+ of those came in the first game, Trott has looked disinterested for 2 years, Hain can't cope with a laterally moving ball, Rikki has lost it.

The dilemma of the young lads - do we put them into a losing team and hope they aren't damaged by it.

And.....I'm convinced things have been sour behind the scenes for 2 years. Has whatever caused that been eradicated.

What would I do? Westy to return, Lamb, Adair and Javid to take Bat/bowling roles. When will Rankin and Stone be ready? Then finally, hope for a bit of luck!

If we were looking at the first side, Yorkshire lost last week and Surrey are currently following on against Lancashire...does not bode well
Paul fondled my onion bags.
I would love to be wrong but I don't get the impression that this would be a good environment for a youngster to come in and try and make his way.
Post game reaction from Giles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D3hmHncdCY
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
1positive in all this, our bowlers will keep fresh having only turned their arm over once per game, also is their too much emphasis on coaching these days & indeed too many coaches, as Steve Waugh said a coach is there to take you to the game, all these coaches & we can't play cricket!
(17-04-2017, 12:29 PM)Lilly Wrote:
(16-04-2017, 08:12 PM)Malc Wrote: What happens now then? Who's to be dropped? Who comes in?

Yes, the short term of Friday to deal with - what would we do in Jim's shoes? I think he needs to set the cat amongst the pigeons a little in what we assume is a 'cosy' squad.

1) Westwood, if he's had enough middle time to come in for Mellor. Likeable... but a wicketkeeper. Just Westwood sticking around might allow Trott and Bell some time to relax.

2) Adair, again, if ready should surely to be taking the place of OHD. With a bowling average of 39 and a genuine number 11, surely he needs to be relegated to white ball only. With those stats to top, surely Adair is worth a run in the side bringing some much needed youth in while at least trying to stay up.

3) Is it not time for Barker to bat at 7 and Clarke at 8? I cannot remember Clarke's last contribution. Clarke is undoubtedly a man over the hill in the 4 day game - but excellent for 10 overs and a biff against the white ball. A man going through the motions I feel, but we need him with his ideal replacement in India.  

4) I'd be tempted to give Hain one more game, however in a 14 game season his place has to be under threat from any given young batting talent available frankly! Javid maybe leading the way here.

There are so many sides to this - let's be positive, it's a long season, we've lost to 2 very good teams, returning players will change the situation, Gilo and Jim know what they're doing......or the.....The batting has been dreadful since mid season 2015, Bell scored 600 runs last season and 170+ of those came in the first game, Trott has looked disinterested for 2 years, Hain can't cope with a laterally moving ball, Rikki has lost it.

The dilemma of the young lads - do we put them into a losing team and hope they aren't damaged by it.

And.....I'm convinced things have been sour behind the scenes for 2 years. Has whatever caused that been eradicated.

What would I do? Westy to return, Lamb, Adair and Javid to take Bat/bowling roles. When will Rankin and Stone be ready? Then finally, hope for a bit of luck!

If we were looking at the first side, Yorkshire lost last week and Surrey are currently following on against Lancashire...does not bode well

I will take you to task re Trott disinterested, his2nd inns. @the Oval albeit in a losing cause disproves that
(17-04-2017, 03:32 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(17-04-2017, 12:29 PM)Lilly Wrote:

I will take you to task re Trott disinterested, his2nd inns. @the Oval albeit in a losing cause disproves that

You beat me to it Simon - what a ridiculous statement about Trotty our most consistent batsman. If you go to games you will also know that he and Jeetan are always the most vocal in their support on the field for their team mates.
I do go to games, oh you don't mean me!
(17-04-2017, 04:02 PM)narsty simon Wrote: I do go to games, oh you don't mean me!

Of course I don't mean you - whoever said Trott hasn't been interested for a couple of years. They clearly didn't go to the 50 over final either. Idiots.
Something tells me you are wound up
(17-04-2017, 04:07 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Something tells me you are wound up

Takes a lot to upset me but criticising a lack of interest from one of our best players - and my hero has done it!
Good interview from Ash I think, i just hope something changes.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
(17-04-2017, 05:04 PM)stingray Wrote:
(17-04-2017, 04:07 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Something tells me you are wound up

Takes a lot to upset me but criticising a lack of interest from one of our best players - and my hero has done it!
He is either very brave or very stupid
King of Spain sounding pretty downbeat there and it seems to me downplaying talk of significant recruitment. He sounds like he's saying things may get worse before they get better and, with the age of the squad, I think he's right.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(17-04-2017, 04:05 PM)stingray Wrote:
(17-04-2017, 04:02 PM)narsty simon Wrote: I do go to games, oh you don't mean me!

Of course I don't mean you - whoever said Trott hasn't been interested for a couple of years. They clearly didn't go to the 50 over final either. Idiots.

I only went to one game last season when I had a balcony room at the Ageas Bowl. Trott was on the boundary below me for a long time but never stopped shouting encouragement to team mates.
More worryingly, although the players behaved immaculately in the bar they were in two distinct groups. I don't remember seeing the skipper and the coach was at the bar talking to journalists.
It would be unfair to draw conclusions but if the team spirit is lacking then being in that environment, and in the sort of form Hain is in for example, it must be very, very hard work.
Regardless of team spirit the players need to have individual pride in their performance

I'm certain all the players care (no one more than Trott) they just need to find a way of at least competing. with the squad we have id be very surprised if we're not relegated but the past couple of performances can't continue
Not quite sure why I am being quoted and abused with regard Trott when I didn't say it?

He's about the only one I would not be critical of currently, together with Barker and the bowlers generally, Clarke aside. I would suggest reading who actually said something before jumping on my back in future...
Paul fondled my onion bags.
George's latest:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...92908.html

Reads as though we're just going to have accept a painful couple of years and put up with whatever rubbish is served up in the meantime.

I trust our membership fees will be adjusted accordingly?   Dodgy
That's unfair DC - it happens all the time in team sport - transitions and team re-building. Hopefully Gilo will put in place a better system to ensure the transition is more gradual.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
(18-04-2017, 02:40 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: That's unfair DC - it happens all the time in team sport - transitions and team re-building. Hopefully Gilo will put in place a better system to ensure the transition is more gradual.

Take your point LE. But the decline hasn't just "happened".

Most of us could see this coming over the last couple of seasons. An ageing team and a failing production line of new talent has been evident for 3 years.

And we should certainly have moved mountains to ensure that players like Chopra and Evans, who we could ill-afford to lose, were kept at the club.

There should have been some sort of contingency in place to ease the transition. I don't want to see the side bulked up with veterans and Kolpaks.

But I don't much like the alternative being offered by the professionals in charge with the 2017 season less than 2 weeks in.