Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Yorkshire
Ashley was on the live commentary around midday today just as the wickets started to tumble.

I sensed he was already less than impressed with the manner of Porterfield's dismissal when his stint started and his mood certainly darkened over the next 20 minutes.

I think he knows he's got a major problem on his hands and is going to have to have far more input on the 1st XI than he originally intended.

The club is simply going to have to find the money from somewhere to stem the decline otherwise we could be gone, over and out by August.
Was there for the post lunch session today but left at the 2nd rain delay, only saw 15 overs or so. Pitch looked quite easy paced though the overhead conditions are obviously having a say as youd expect. Coad and Patterson looked good, Willey less threatening. Barker played sensibly. Decent crowd.
GOOD FRIDAY - When you have a start like this you begin to look at the fixture list and say things like, "Oh that's good I'm at work when that games is on so I will miss it.." instead of "Oh **** I will be at work when that game is on so I will miss it..". To feel like that after just 5 days of the season is so depressing. I thought some of the shots played were awful despite them having a good bowling attack and at 47-1 it all seemed to be moving on nicely. I wish I had an answer for it but I don't.
If Porterfield has about 6-7 more failures in the next 10 innings (If we haven't given up on him before that), his first class average will dip below 30. It is currently 30.66 and that is just not good enough. That is one of many problems we face for the rest of the season. Today was dire and I was fairly happy to go home when it rained for the second time to put me out of my misery. The sad fact was, there didn't appear to be any shout out's from the members, it's almost as if we are now just expecting this sort of collapse to happen. I often wonder if having century makers from 1-9 gives a side a false sense of security, a kind of "If I don't make any runs, we have people down the order who have got us out of a scrape many times..".
Some of the batting wasn't great but the Yorkshire bowlers didn't give much away.  At the end of the day, Keith Barker said that as well as the ball swinging, it also nipped a bit off the pitch.  So it's difficult to be sure at the moment how poor a score this is.  A few more from Barker in the morning would be very gratefully received.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
More of the same really this game, good to see Barker in some batting form as a slight positive.

At least due to the live stream on YouTube I was able to watch us capitulate whilst doing housework
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
Views from Keith Barker and Ben Coad here:
http://deepextracover.com/2017/04/coad-s...ston-rain/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yorkshire seem to be enjoying batting alot more than we did...no gremlins in the wicket then
Yes greenday no greemlins thought we bowled reasonably well today without looking threatening to blow them away. Only the weather can save us now
The bowling did test Yorkshire but any edges that failed to go to Tim or the slips, seemed to go over them all or wide of them. On any other day we might have kept them to 250. Like Rednalbear said, the weather looks to be the only saviour for us unless some of our tired looking batsmen can guts it out which as a unit, we have not seen for a while.
Meanwhile, down the M5, Somerset have produced another questionable pitch. Green in the middle but bare at both ends this is, incredibly, a used wicket. There has only been one game at Taunton so far this year - against Oxford Uni - but they are using the same wicket against Essex and scores are low. Looks like a statement of intent: come to Taunton and get a result wicket. What are our chances of making three figures in either innings when we go down there next month?
Somerset barely did that last season against us there, so if we can get to 100 batting first (Too optimistic?) who knows, dizzy heights indeed. There can be no excuse for a pitch like that in April. Somerset have been producing batting friendly pitches for decades and if they suddenly change now then they must be trying it on. Then again, they kept getting off without points deductions, so......
(15-04-2017, 08:30 PM)paulbear Wrote: The bowling did test Yorkshire but any edges that failed to go to Tim or the slips, seemed to go over them all or wide of them. On any other day we might have kept them to 250. Like Rednalbear said, the weather looks to be the only saviour for us unless some of our tired looking batsmen can guts it out which as a unit, we have not seen for a while.

TBF we showed some spirit typified by Barker and wright's new ball bowling in the final session and a smart catch @short leg from Hain
Hoping to go on Monday...I dont think we can ask for more from the bowlers, they've been brilliant for last few years, we just need to hope their batting ability can help us this season

BTW, I feel I should really change my username...although I'm still only 29, I'm passed the 'green day' phrase.quite along time ago!
(15-04-2017, 11:15 PM)greenday28 Wrote: Hoping to go on Monday...I dont think we can ask for more from the bowlers, they've been brilliant for last few years, we just need to hope their batting ability can help us this season

BTW, I feel I should really change my username...although I'm still only 29, I'm passed the 'green day' phrase.quite along time ago!

How about BUBLE29 or VLynn100?
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
greenday28
George's report.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...92429.html

Hard to disagree with any of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Leicester Exile
(14-04-2017, 12:52 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(14-04-2017, 12:05 PM)exiledinkent Wrote: Both openers out in the first hour. The opposite of a surprise.

Absolute rubbish - AGAIN !  Ash really does have to sort the batting out - and soon !  He doesn't have many options in the squad - I guess Ateeq MUST be due a game, but Umeed is obviously not up to it at the moment and Lamb & Banks are too inexperienced.  Otherwise it's all rounders like Adair (still not fully fit I gather) or Thomason.

I really do think they have to sign someone like Angus Robson - if that deal isn't already in the pipeline.

I forgot we've got Westwood to come back.  I think it was reported that he should be back mid-April - perhaps for the next CC game ?
There is talk of the youngsters being too inexperienced. Perhaps so. But are they going to score less than most in the current 1st team?
Give them a chance - we might be surprised and it might just wake a player or two out of complacency.
LE - aka John
Yeah i'd like to see someone come in and partner Westwood when he's back...possibly try and see how Javid goes at the top of the order...
Another game without maximum bowling bonus points...a bit of a worry at this time of year if we can't take 9 wickets in 110 overs.
Proud to be a Bear