Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrey v Warwickshire
Sam needs to sort himself out; I see Lawrence of Essex is starting this season as he ended last season bang in form. 19 years of age and looking extremely promising.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Seems to me that our biggest issue in CC cricket is the opening partnership. Let's be honest, if William Porterfield was going to make a success of it he would have done so by now. To throw Mellor in and expect instant results is tough on him - he may or may not make the grade but whilst it's early days, I suspect he will be no Varun Chopra. That leaves us with either Westwood - who I fear is way past his best - and Umeed, who is still young and learning his craft. As far as I know there are no other youngsters in the second eleven likely to score runs heavily enough to force themselves into contention either.

The lack of an obvious opening partnership suggests to me that we need to think outside the box. Why not try experimenting with Hain, Trott or both? They made a great job of it in 50 over cricket last year so why wouldn't they do the same in four day cricket? That of course would mean our middle order needs attention - perhaps it's time to give Javid another go - maybe even as an opener. The other batting concern for me is Clarke, whose batting seems to have faded significantly over the last couple of years. Somehow, from somewhere, we need to unearth new talent. Surely there must be some decent league players out there with the hunger, desire and application needed to succeed?
Really, Warleybear, do you really think that winning the T20 is what it is all about. WHY?
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
Mark Adair who is coming back to full fitness scored 47 for the second team today, so would be a viable alternative all rounder, when he is fully fit.
Liam Banks is the other opening batsman on the staff, but he is still 17, so it may be too early to expect him to come into the first team and succeed.
The other batsmen on the staff, Javid, Lamb & Pollock are not openers, and their batting style is unlikely to work as an opener. Although Ed Pollock has been scoring well, at #3, for Durham Uni.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(10-04-2017, 06:30 PM)paulbear Wrote: Really, Warleybear, do you really think that winning the T20 is what it is all about. WHY?

He does not like proper cricket
(10-04-2017, 05:57 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Seems to me that our biggest issue in CC cricket is the opening partnership. Let's be honest, if William Porterfield was going to make a success of it he would have done so by now. To throw Mellor in and expect instant results is tough on him - he may or may not make the grade but whilst it's early days, I suspect he will be no Varun Chopra. That leaves us with either Westwood - who I fear is way past his best - and Umeed, who is still young and learning his craft. As far as I know there are no other youngsters in the second eleven likely to score runs heavily enough to force themselves into contention either.

The lack of an obvious opening partnership suggests to me that we need to think outside the box. Why not try experimenting with Hain, Trott or both? They made a great job of it in 50 over cricket last year so why wouldn't they do the same in four day cricket? That of course would mean our middle order needs attention - perhaps it's time to give Javid another go - maybe even as an opener. The other batting concern for me is Clarke, whose batting seems to have faded significantly over the last couple of years. Somehow, from somewhere, we need to unearth new talent. Surely there must be some decent league players out there with the hunger, desire and application needed to succeed?

Re Trott and Hain opening, world of difference between 50over and proper cricket, field placings, bowlers limited to 10overs etc and why move Trott who has 2 centuries already this season I know batting@3means you could be in 2nd ball I just think Trott is happier@3 don't forget England ruined him when they asked him to open
Before we get too despondent about the Surrey result, just contemplate this result in the first match of the season in 1911:
http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIV...Y1911.html
After the match, one leading cricket journalist said that Warwickshire shouldn't even be a first class county any longer.
Fast forward to the table at the end of the season:
http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/NATION..._1911.html
So all is not lost.  We just need Frank Foster to be reincarnated!
I see that Brian Halford has tweeted the same thing - remember 1911.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Harborne Bear
Re. people saying nobody in the 2's are knocking on the 1st team door...

Lamb and Thomason scored a lot of runs last season and like one or two others have mentioned Javid is long overdue another go.

Granted this doesn't solve the opener conundrum.
(10-04-2017, 06:30 PM)paulbear Wrote: Really, Warleybear, do you really think that winning the T20 is what it is all about. WHY?

Its now my favourite competition.... fits in with my lifestyle along with my friends and family. It is very well suported and enjoyable to go along to.. ... fast, skillful and exciting. Love it or hate it... it is the present and certainly the future.....

I'll try and fit some championship cricket in this year... but my viewing habits have dramatically changed over the last decade.... I used to attend around 16 days play of four day cricket a season.... last year it was sadly only handful of days..... this year it may be a handful of sessions..... I will follow it on the internet as many others do. As for domestic 50 over cricket .... loved 40 over domestic cricket ... 50 overs is too much... so if we get to a final I will possibly go for the 'big day out' at Lords.

Full membership is now a thing of the past.... This year we have T20 season tickets, finals day tickets and some tickets for the first three days of the test. Hats off to the club ... all the tickets were very reasonably priced including test match tickets that were priced at little more than a day at the championship.

Its amazing how quickly things change in life.... to be honest a lot of people who go to T20 feel alienated by the cricketing 'purists' who use words like 'proper cricket' or 'hit and giggle'... shame really.... those people will leave the first class game in a perilous position... they need to reach out and build a bridge to those who attend in their thousands to watch T20 every year and help fund the game.

T20 is now the games premier domestic one day competition... and probably the games premier tournament in terms of everything but history.... the championship is a bit like footballs FA cup.... its interesting if you have a good run in it or nostalgically remember the good old 1970s.... but sadly loosing its appeal amoungst the young.
Funny that whilst @ the Oval we sat with a group of youngsters @the Oval who not only enjoyed the game bot said it was their favourite format
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Paul
I think the championship is nothing like the FA Cup. Do the top sides rest their players?  Its the premier league of cricket. T20 is the league cup Dodgy

[-] The following 4 users Like Paul's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon, parkfield bear, paulbear
(11-04-2017, 10:30 AM)Paul Wrote: I think the championship is nothing like the FA Cup. Do the top sides rest their players?  Its the premier league of cricket. T20 is the league cup Dodgy

I was 60 this year. I'm lucky enough to have retired 2 years ago...I think this is relevant.

In my youth, if I wasn't playing, my favourite format was Sunday League. 80 overs fitted in very well with a single day format. My mother used to take me and she became enamoured by the game (a bit like the Big Bash philosophy). I liked the knockout Gillette Cup and its more recent formats - I love a Lord's final and I loved the minor counties being involved in a knockout tournament. The current league format leaves a lot to be desired. However, I hardly ever saw CC cricket. Yet I saw this as the gold standard. 

Now, I attend nearly every day of first team cricket at Edgbaston and attend as many away games as possible....I too was at The Oval on Friday and wondered why we chose to bowl!!!! I enjoy 100 over 1 day games - as long as the game is closely fought and I think T20 can be entertaining, although it's not cricket.

The point I'm trying to make is that cricket is a rare sport - there are 3 totally different forms and everyone offers something to the supporter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Malc's post:
Warleybear
Might be worth having a look at one of these two gentlemen who seem to have some pedigree as opening batsmen and could potentially do a job for us:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...91702.html
(10-04-2017, 08:17 PM)bear4life Wrote: Re. people saying nobody in the 2's are knocking on the 1st team door...

Lamb and Thomason scored a lot of runs last season and like one or two others have mentioned Javid is long overdue another go.

Granted this doesn't solve the opener conundrum.

Watching many days of 2nd XI championship cricket last season, Matthew Lamb, usually batting at number 4,  was certainly the most impressive younger batsman with several big scores/hundreds and the valuable ability to build an innings patiently and then accelerate with more aggressive shots later in his innings. Assuming that he does not wish to open, then his progress may be stifled (similar to Evans in 2016) due to little chance of first team opportunity while Trott, Bell, Hain and Ambrose occupy the numbers 3 to 6 positions. Ed Pollock seemed far too aggressive early on in an innings for first team Championship cricket. Alex Mellor batted at number 5 in 2ndXI Championship games last season, opening in t20 games, so he must have shown willingness to change to an opener in order to gain quicker first team opportunity.

Personally I would like to see Sam Hain open with Ian Westwood (or Porterfield if Westwood unavailable) as he does have the technique and potential class but can understand that the coaches would not wish to put him under even more pressure by opening in all formats. This would allow Matthew Lamb, Ateeq Javid or Aaron Thomason to come in at number 5. It is better to leave Trotty at number 3, he is our only Test class batsman at this time, in terms of converting starts into big innings. The other opening option is Ateeq Javid, who started to open in 2ndXI Championship with Andy Umeed in late 2015 but has had no success at 1stXI level opening the batting, his only successful Championship season was with him in the middle order at number 5 when Evans was at number 3 or 4. Both lost their places when Bell and Trott returned.

The poor opening stands of recent seasons is not our only problem at present, there are also far too many middle order collapses to expect to make potentially match-winning totals. The seam bowling attack still lacks a bowler of genuine pace to finish off the opposition tail, Barker, Wright and Clarke are a fairly reliable unit but I would not play Hannon-Dalby as well as Clarke on good pitches or conditions. Possibly Mark Adair may have opportunity soon as the 4th seamer.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanBear's post:
bear4life, The Good Mugabe
Frankly I'd take Angus Deayton at this stage but you do have to worry about a 2/27 conversion rate.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
We don't want to panic & sign players for the sake of it, adding to the wage bill, on paper he appears no better than what we already have
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
bear4life
In the current second team game Ateeq scored a hundred, Mark Adair scored 47 & 66, Matt Lamb took 4 wickets & scored a good 50, as well as runs for Grant Thornton & Sam Grant. Ed Pollock is getting runs for Durham Uni against county sides.

Yes, our young players lack experience, but given a chance some of them will develop into useful first team players
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 2 users Like The Good Mugabe's post:
coolerking, IanBear
Going back to earlier in this post, the CC has not been well attended since the 1950's and in the 60's it took a real nosedive which explains why someone came up with the Gillette cup and other forms of limited overs cricket. The CC is only here to develop players into Test cricketers so if it is well attended or not is not a real point and even having a good season is no guide to how well attended the games will be. The 1972 Warwickshire CC winning team had very poorly attended games. I don't think for one minute that T20 is the future, they said that about floodlit cricket and we don't see much of that apart from the 2nd half of T20 games but rarely in other formats. I think the argument that T20 brings youngsters to cricket is total rubbish - It brings youngsters to T20 cricket and you don't see many watching other formats. When I have spoken to Dad's with youngsters about CC cricket and whether they watch it, they look at me like I'd gone insane and shake their head with a grimace.
(12-04-2017, 05:30 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: In the current second team game Ateeq scored a hundred, Mark Adair scored 47 & 66, Matt Lamb took 4 wickets & scored a good 50, as well as runs for Grant Thornton & Sam Grant. Ed Pollock is getting runs for Durham Uni against county sides.

Yes, our young players lack experience, but given a chance some of them will develop into useful first team players

You have been told to stop ramming down our throats the star qualities of these 2nd Xl.  players, you are obviously an expert on our2nds as you appear to watch every ball of every game, why don't you watch less of that and more of the1st team then you can compare and contrast and appreciate the gulf in class, 1more thing, Jim Troughton has been @the club a long time as player, captain and coach, if these players were as good as you think,  they would be given their chance and as also has been pointed out these coaches know more than us and that includes you believe it or not
(12-04-2017, 09:44 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 05:30 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: In the current second team game Ateeq scored a hundred, Mark Adair scored 47 & 66, Matt Lamb took 4 wickets & scored a good 50, as well as runs for Grant Thornton & Sam Grant. Ed Pollock is getting runs for Durham Uni against county sides.

You have been told to stop ramming down our throats the star qualities of these 2nd Xl.  players, you are obviously an expert on our2nds as you appear to watch every ball of every game, why don't you watch less of that and more of the1st team then you can compare and contrast and appreciate the gulf in class, 1more thing, Jim Troughton has been @the club a long time as player, captain and coach, if these players were as good as you think,  they would be given their chance and as also has been pointed out these coaches know more than us and that includes you believe it or not

Whilst it may get a bit tedious at times, we all ride our hobby horses on this site; and at least we are in no danger of forgetting that there are young players striving to make the transition.  Even in a flock of geese, there may be the occasional swan.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/