Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrey v Warwickshire
(09-04-2017, 04:23 PM)greenday28 Wrote: Yes they have brought Ashley in...they haven't had a plan in place on how we will replace our ageing squad...they've had years to do it.

I would argue that is the responsibility of the Director of Cricket, and is presumably why Dougie was sacked. They perhaps did wait too long before taking action though.
Proud to be a Bear
Excellent stand between Trott and Barker should mean losing with a little honour and dignity restored.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Trott,Barker and Patel show for the reason of the season i'd say
(08-04-2017, 10:27 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Lizzy Ammon wrote in The Times today that Barker seems to have lost a yard of pace over the winter. Can anyone who was there comment on this?

I was there Friday. I thought the bowling was steady on a very flat wicket. Was Barker slower? I don't think so, but there was little bounce and even less lateral movement. Surrey were just at the top of their game. Simples!
We finally won a session
Hanna beating Yorkshire has really shaken things up
Good effort today by Trott, with decent support from Bell and Barker. Would have been easy to cave in - and some of them did - but to take the game into the fourth day is something positive at least.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Yes enormous credit to those 3
Report here:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...91530.html
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
The amount of low scores is terrible, my thread about my incredulity of the club not singing a couple of batsmen is terrible management

We do not have one opening batsman who will average anywhere near 40 this season

Hain needs to step up and Trott and Bell need to have great seasons for us not to get relegated !!
I cannot see how the club have not recognised this or done anything about it

Negligence - utter negligence
(10-04-2017, 11:18 AM)Wolfman09 Wrote: I cannot see how the club have not recognised this or done anything about it

Might it not be sensible to wait and see where we are in 3 or 4 games before resorting to the rabid doom mongering and attacks on club management that I associate more with football fans?
I don't think it's necessary to wait for three or four more matches to be able to say that a squad has been allowed to grow too old together and without sight of adequate alternatives. That's a valid criticism, albeit of past management.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(10-04-2017, 12:06 PM)coolerking Wrote: I don't think it's necessary to wait for three or four more matches to be able to say that a squad has been allowed to grow too old together and without sight of adequate alternatives. That's a valid criticism, albeit of past management.

It's some of the rather dramatic language I object to. Jim and Ashley are new in post, let's see what happens. And can I be the first to congratulate Trotty on a fabulous 150!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Harborne Bear
I think what is most disappointing is that this is not a surprise. Plenty of people on this forum have seen it coming. Since it is safe to assume that the KoS knows more about cricket than any of us, he will have foreseen it too. The fact that he hasn't been able to do anything about it suggests that we are so skint that there is no money available for players (T20 excepted). A sad state of affairs.

Short of persuading Grant Elliot to play all forms of cricket we are stuck with the players we've got. A few of them are well overdue a good performance. Up to Ashley and Jim to help them produce it.
(10-04-2017, 03:09 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I think what is most disappointing is that this is not a surprise. Plenty of people on this forum have seen it coming. Since it is safe to assume that the KoS knows more about cricket than any of us, he will have foreseen it too. The fact that he hasn't been able to do anything about it suggests that we are so skint that there is no money available for players (T20 excepted). A sad state of affairs.

Short of persuading Grant Elliot to play all forms of cricket we are stuck with the players we've got. A few of them are well overdue a good performance. Up to Ashley and Jim to help them produce it.

I have three questions:

1) Why have Ashley and Jim not realised that our top order batting is woefully weak
2) If they have, why have they not done something about it
3) Why are we apparently skint ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wolfman09's post:
parkfield bear
(10-04-2017, 11:18 AM)Wolfman09 Wrote: I cannot see how the club have not recognised this or done anything about it

All well and good you getting on your high horse about new signings, players have got to be available and more importantly want to come, Warwickshire do not have a God given right to sign every cricketer that comes on the market, that said although it's early doors we are potentially heading for the mug's league, long term Jim will sort the mess out but as we know in top level sport time is a luxury that coaches are not afforded
(10-04-2017, 03:22 PM)Wolfman09 Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 03:09 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I think what is most disappointing is that this is not a surprise. Plenty of people on this forum have seen it coming. Since it is safe to assume that the KoS knows more about cricket than any of us, he will have foreseen it too. The fact that he hasn't been able to do anything about it suggests that we are so skint that there is no money available for players (T20 excepted). A sad state of affairs.

I have three questions:

1) Why have Ashley and Jim not realised that our top order batting is woefully weak
2) If they have, why have they not done something about it
3) Why are we apparently skint ?
Well that one is pretty obvious to be fair

I'd rather not have Grant Elliott playing 4day, a first class average of 30 playing in NZ is woeful!
We shouldn't be too hard on the lads - an ageing side isn't all their fault.... and it is only the first game. Yes, a terrible result... lets hope its a wake up call.... and the team can pull together quickly

After last season, I'm not surprised..... However, whether the club had money or not.... we just don't seem to know how to slowly rotate the side and weed out the chaff or the oldies. ..... and you don't have to be a cricket purist to see that Giles will have some serious challenges in the four day game this season. A team should constantly develop across the seasons.... evolution not revolution.

I agree about Grant Elliott... fantastic T20 signing though.... and cant wait for the T20 blast to start. For me, winning that competition is what it is all about.