Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrey v Warwickshire
In the current circumstances, what changes, if any, would the forum members make to the team and management?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
My post was definitely not flowery but there is no solution other than anyone in our side who can bat, to get their finger out and fight for the club and what after all for some, is the end of their careers. If no one is around to wave a magic wand then we only have the players in our current squad who can do this so whether we like it or not what you see on the teamsheet is what we are left with so no amount of wishful thinking is going to stop this, we cannot change the captain now and confidence comes with winning.
Making management changes would be crazy at this stage. Or at any stage this season, frankly.

As for the first XI, again, changes after one game would be crazy. If after two or three we're in the same boat or worse the obvious answer is to drop the under-performing players. Okay, so there may not be anyone banging the door down to get in, but poor performances can't - or shouldn't - be tolerated indefinitely. If you won't pick the youngsters when the oldsters are no longer doing the business, then there is literally no purpose in having youngsters at all.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Why not give Javid whoIMOhas been shabbily treated a run in the side
Who would Javed replace in the side? & how would be batting order be changed to accommodate him?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
George's report here:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...91187.html
I think these few lines sum it up:
"..any doubts Ashley Giles, Warwickshire's new director of sport, had about the enormity of the task facing him upon his return to Edgbaston should now have been dispelled. An ageing side lacked the pace to extract life from the surface and the batting line-up looks overly reliant upon two men in their mid-30s. There are few obvious reserves pushing for selection, either. These are early days, but it could well be the start of a painful transition for Warwickshire."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yes whilst Surrey have a young and vibrant attack. Makes you wonder about our lack of recruitment and over reliance on the academy players breaking through.

(08-04-2017, 08:57 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Who would Javed replace in the side? & how would be batting order be changed to accommodate him?

As good a prospect Hain is it is time he produced he should have been dropped last season
Lizzy Ammon wrote in The Times today that Barker seems to have lost a yard of pace over the winter. Can anyone who was there comment on this?
Proud to be a Bear
The key word in the Dobell quote there is "transition". It will only be a transition if we start bringing new players in for old. It has to happen, painful or not, otherwise virtually the entire XI will drop off the cliff together and that really will be ugly.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(08-04-2017, 10:27 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Lizzy Ammon wrote in The Times today that Barker seems to have lost a yard of pace over the winter. Can anyone who was there comment on this?

Keith looked lethargic which is a worry this early in the season .
(08-04-2017, 11:09 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 10:27 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Lizzy Ammon wrote in The Times today that Barker seems to have lost a yard of pace over the winter. Can anyone who was there comment on this?

In the first 2 sessions on Friday there was little or no penetration from any of the 3 "strike" bowlers. A lot of floaty, buffet ball stuff more reminiscent of tiring bodies in late August tbh.

The problems run all the way through - it's not just the batters. There were plenty of times last season when opposing sides tucked into our bowling attack.

In response to TGM - well I wouldn't start from here. I would go back a year.

Sort out whatever was worrying Varun. Give extended runs to Javid and Evans and try and blood one of the "promising" youngsters. That may have led to a better outcome in 2016.

Still think we would have needed at least one batsman (Stoneman, Borthwick or Jennings from Durham would have fitted the bill) and a decent, big-hearted uncontracted bowler - possibly Gurney or Fletcher from Notts.

I also would not have gone for the coaching set-up we have now. We needed to start completely afresh. I've long been a big advocate of someone like Gareth Batty coming in as a player/coach.

Of course given our parlous financial state I may as well wish for the moon on a stick!
(09-04-2017, 10:29 AM)DaveC Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 11:09 PM)narsty simon Wrote:

In the first 2 sessions on Friday there was little or no penetration from any of the 3 "strike" bowlers. A lot of floaty, buffet ball stuff more reminiscent of tiring bodies in late August tbh.

The problems run all the way through - it's not just the batters. There were plenty of times last season when opposing sides tucked into our bowling attack.

In response to TGM - well I wouldn't start from here. I would go back a year.

Sort out whatever was worrying Varun. Give extended runs to Javid and Evans and try and blood one of the "promising" youngsters. That may have led to a better outcome in 2016.

Still think we would have needed at least one batsman (Stoneman, Borthwick or Jennings from Durham would have fitted the bill) and a decent, big-hearted uncontracted bowler - possibly Gurney or Fletcher from Notts.

I also would not have gone for the coaching set-up we have now. We needed to start completely afresh. I've long been a big advocate of someone like Gareth Batty coming in as a player/coach.

Of course given our parlous financial state I may as well wish for the moon on a stick!
You give up too easily!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moon+o...gXKfF-8BqM:
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Still in shock over what i watched yesterday. Surrey just look much better prepared than we are, greater intensity in the field, they gave us absolutely nothing. You have to wonder what a day like that does to us mentally.

The Oval is brilliant by the way, Surrey are a proper club. Past greats are heralded and appreciated there, loved walking around the members areas during lunch and seeing portraits of the Stewarts, Edrich, Barrington, May, Hollioake etc. Wish we could do the same, we have a great history too, you'd never know from walking around Edgbaston though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bear4life's post:
Leicester Exile
I agree with bear4life, our history as a club is hidden away to a small corner where the museum is situated. I sent a letter to Neil Snowball about the title 'Warwickshire County Cricket Club' being put at the front of the building and the 'Bear and Ragged Staff' emblem being put up also and he said in his reply that it would be discussed. The letter I got back from him had no mention of the club I grew up supporting and instead was headed 'Edgbaston' . That sums up the 21st century outlook for our club. We have a great history and regardless of whether anyone thinks this is a trivial matter as they have expressed before, I think it is not a point to gloss over just because the council who have backed the club, think we should be called Birmingham in all formats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
rednalbear
(09-04-2017, 10:45 AM)bear4life Wrote: Still in shock over what i watched yesterday. Surrey just look much better prepared than we are, greater intensity in the field, they gave us absolutely nothing. You have to wonder what a day like that does to us mentally.

The Oval is brilliant by the way, Surrey are a proper club. Past greats are heralded and appreciated there, loved walking around the members areas during lunch and seeing portraits of the Stewarts, Edrich, Barrington, May, Hollioake etc. Wish we could do the same, we have a great history too, you'd never know from walking around Edgbaston though.

I've been banging on about this ever since the monstrosity that replaced a CRICKET pavilion was built. The club has had  years to acknowledge its past. It's as though they are ashamed they cannot match the mid 1990s so let's pretend it never happened.
LE - aka John
Hain continues his excellent form from last season.
Proud to be a Bear
What really annoys me is that it was so obvious this was going to happen! the likes of Ambrose and Clarke have been on the slide for past few seasons...we knew we wouldn't have Woakes. ...i think we have to be honest and say the senior team at 'Edgbaston' care more about the brand of the stadium than Warwickshire CCC....
To be fair, I think the club did do something about it by bringing in Ashley for Dougie. It would probably have been quite easy to say "Well, we won a trophy this season so let's leave everything as it is" but they didn't, they acted. Ashley hasn't yet had time to do anything about bringing the youth through, which has been the main issue recently.
Proud to be a Bear
Yes they have brought Ashley in...they haven't had a plan in place on how we will replace our ageing squad...they've had years to do it.