Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects for 2017
Our season starts on Sunday at The Parks followed by the serious stuff next Friday. I have low expectations for Warwickshire CCC this season. I'd love to think that Ashley will motivate the established players to one last hurrah; that OH-D will take 35 Championship wickets ; that new talent will emerge from the second XI; and that Billy P will chip in with several hundreds but I fear that is wishful thinking. More likely is that we will struggle to keep enough players fit and in form.

There could be two groups in Division 1 - Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey and Somerset being in the hunt for the title with the rest (including us) battling it out to avoid relegation. I'd be surprised if Middlesex have as good a season again which leaves Yorkshire as perennial favourites. If Somerset are allowed to get away with producing poor pitches again, they could challenge. They have a good all round squad, with or without help from their groundsman. Tom Abell will captain them this year, which is a big ask for a young player. We'll see how he does.

At the other end, Hampshire have dug deep into the Kolpak pool again but I still fancy them as no better than 7th. Lancashire don't look as strong as last year whilst Essex are a bit of an unknown quantity. Cross your fingers and hope for the Bears.
(29-03-2017, 12:10 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Our season starts on Sunday at The Parks followed by the serious stuff next Friday. I have low expectations for Warwickshire CCC this season. I'd love to think that Ashley will motivate the established players to one last hurrah; that OH-D will take 35 Championship wickets ; that new talent will emerge from the second XI; and that Billy P will chip in with several hundreds but I fear that is wishful thinking. More likely is that we will struggle to keep enough players fit and in form.

There could be two groups in Division 1 - Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey and Somerset being in the hunt for the title with the rest (including us) battling it out to avoid relegation. I'd be surprised if Middlesex have as good a season again which leaves Yorkshire as perennial favourites. If Somerset are allowed to get away with producing poor pitches again, they could challenge. They have a good all round squad, with or without help from their groundsman. Tom Abell will captain them this year, which is a big ask for a young player. We'll see how he does.

At the other end, Hampshire have dug deep into the Kolpak pool again but I still fancy them as no better than 7th. Lancashire don't look as strong as last year whilst Essex are a bit of an unknown quantity. Cross your fingers and hope for the Bears.

Just popped down for the friendly, when I arrived bears were135-3within half an hour that became 140-6hope it's not a sign of things to come!
(29-03-2017, 12:10 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Our season starts on Sunday at The Parks followed by the serious stuff next Friday. I have low expectations for Warwickshire CCC this season. I'd love to think that Ashley will motivate the established players to one last hurrah; that OH-D will take 35 Championship wickets ; that new talent will emerge from the second XI; and that Billy P will chip in with several hundreds but I fear that is wishful thinking. More likely is that we will struggle to keep enough players fit and in form.

Not sure about Somerset. They seem to rely on too many 'prepared' wickets. Just been down to Northants friendly - am yesterday and pm today.... Barker and Clarke looked up to speed already and the batting today saw Trott, Bell and Clarke do well....Sam Hain needed 2 goes but looked in decent nick during his 2nd innings! Top 3 for Bears!
I don't have a problem with Somerset producing spinning wickets. Is that not what having home advantage all about by playing to your strengths. Over the last 6/7 years i wish we played to our strengths more, and produced quicker bouncer pitches with the big tall quick bowlers we have. Back to this season the bowling side is good enough to be competitive in the championship, and the 50 over competition. One of my hopes for the season is for 1 or 2 young batsmen to score big runs, and knock down Jim's door saying pick me, and hopefully Poysden continues to improve, and Singh to push for a place as well. They need to because Petal might be missing for a few games late May early June, and might be not around at all in say 3 years time. My predictions for the season top 3 in the championship. Retain our 50 over title, and will fail to get out of the group stage in the T20
Just asked Ashley why Umeed has not featured in the games so far, he bluntly said he isn't scoring enough runs, another player you misjudged tall bear and talking of tall bear misjudging players, Billy chugging along nicely
285-4dec
First class debut today for Sunny Singh.
Interesting that Cricinfo thinks his date of birth is May 3 1996 whereas I know from talking to him that last Thursday was his 21st birthday.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Perhaps he's like the Queen and has 2 birthdays
(02-04-2017, 01:56 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Just asked Ashley why Umeed has not featured in the games so far, he bluntly said he isn't scoring enough runs, another player you misjudged tall bear and talking of tall bear misjudging players, Billy chugging along nicely

NS, do you (or anyone) know what Westwood is doing at the moment ?  Is he injured, or have they just preferred Mellor ?  I would have thought he might have been given a start against the Students ?
Wasn't promising to see Mellor getting a duck against the student side.

I really fear the lack of openers will see us down to the bottom division come the end of the season. We needed another opener when Varun was with us, his departure left us needing two and we signed none.

Umeed and Mellor do not appear to be at the level required for me, despite how many times Ball Tear rams it down everyone's throats that 'the kids are alright'.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lilly's post:
narsty simon
(03-04-2017, 09:48 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 01:56 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Just asked Ashley why Umeed has not featured in the games so far, he bluntly said he isn't scoring enough runs, another player you misjudged tall bear and talking of tall bear misjudging players, Billy chugging along nicely

NS, do you (or anyone) know what Westwood is doing at the moment ?  Is he injured, or have they just preferred Mellor ?  I would have thought he might have been given a start against the Students ?

Westie has a foot injury,nothing serious but in Ashley's words doutful for the Oval
On the subject of Sunny Singh's date of birth, Playfair Cricket annual has it down as 30/03/66. Not sure what the record is for the oldest debutant in first class cricket but 51 would take some beating!
Brian Halford's report on the day

http://warwickshireccc.com/news/report-o...e=Facebook

Includes lots of praise for Alex and Sunny from Jim Troughton.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Im hearing good things about Singh. Saw him play for the 2's at Moseley last season, he did well then. Sounds like he could be an option in all formats at various stages of the season.
(03-04-2017, 07:40 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Brian Halford's report on the day

Why did you fail to mention that Jim also praised Billy?!
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Bald Reynard
(03-04-2017, 09:25 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 07:40 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Brian Halford's report on the day

Why did you fail to mention that Jim also praised Billy?!

Fails to suit his agenda, sadly
Paul fondled my onion bags.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lilly's post:
Bald Reynard, Exiled Bear, narsty simon
Astonishingly we are THIRD favourite with the bookies to win the Championship this season! As short as 5/1 with some bookmakers. Whereas we're 12/1 to win the T20, which I think we have a better chance of winning this season following our overseas signings than in previous seasons - I know where my money is going!
Proud to be a Bear
I presume the2ndXL are nailed on certainties to win everything with all their mega talented youngsters @their disposal
(04-04-2017, 07:20 AM)narsty simon Wrote: I presume the2ndXL are nailed on certainties to win everything with all their mega talented youngsters @their disposal
Yes, funny how our Seconds have not won anything in the last couple of years, with all that young talent coming through !  In fact, when ever I check their results, they always seem to have been tonked by other Counties, whose batsmen seem to manage to rack up big scores !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
narsty simon
Worrying to see that Barker has retired hurt today - hopefully nothing too serious.
Proud to be a Bear