Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 fixtures
The all-singing, all-dancing City T20 may not be coming next year but the fixture list seems to have been written as if it was. High summer dominated by hit-and-giggle with even the one round of Championship games that have been allowed to take place in late June being played at night.

I know I've got a touch of broken-recorditis but ffs why will the ECB not understand that cricket is a game best played (and most easily marketed) when the weather is sunny and warm. Not in the depths of winter or, even, the chill of a summer's evening. No wonder the paying public doesn't turn up.

And I will also not miss the chance to harumph at the death of outgrounds. It would appear that the Bears will not play a single game on an outground next year, home or away.
The 2017 fixtures are for the traditional cricket lover are the worst ever. Only two 8 days maximum of first class cricket at Edgbaston between May and August. The cricket season since the introduction of T20 cricket has changed beyond recognition. If membership numbers fall as a result, it should be noted that the members have not lost interest, it is because the cricket they want to watch is no longer available at the times they want to watch it. The first class game and T20 should be able to coexist but the administrators have decided T20 is the future and County cricket has been sidelined to the backwaters of April and September, when conditions are at their worst for watching the game and the development of players for the future. County members are never listened to, perhaps when they have all but disappeared the powers that be might regret their shortsighted approach
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Mad Brummie
(27-11-2016, 04:25 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: The all-singing, all-dancing City T20 may not be coming next year but the fixture list seems to have been written as if it was. High summer dominated by hit-and-giggle with even the one round of Championship games that have been allowed to take place in late June being played at night.

I know I've got a touch of broken-recorditis but ffs why will the ECB not understand that cricket is a game best played (and most easily marketed) when the weather is sunny and warm. Not in the depths of winter or, even, the chill of a summer's evening. No wonder the paying public doesn't turn up.

And I will also not miss the chance to harumph at the death of outgrounds. It would appear that the Bears will not play a single game on an outground next year, home or away.

i would have thought that a night game in June would bring a decent attendance-it must be worth a try.Chill of a summer evening?It could be better than playing in April,less likelihood of hail and sleet and people will be able to go along after work.Four day cricket should not be the preserve of us old timers who have plenty of time on their hands-we need to attract a young audience.
(27-11-2016, 04:25 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: The all-singing, all-dancing City T20 may not be coming next year but the fixture list seems to have been written as if it was. High summer dominated by hit-and-giggle with even the one round of Championship games that have been allowed to take place in late June being played at night.

i would have thought that a night game in June would bring a decent attendance-it must be worth a try.Chill of a summer evening?It could be better than playing in April,less likelihood of hail and sleet and people will be able to go along after work.Four day cricket should not be the preserve of us old timers who have plenty of time on their hands-we need to attract a young audience.

I have not got a problem with the fixtures. It must be better for supporters, and players to have blocks of the the 3 formats.That way supporters know what time of the season they will be watching what format of the game, and players can prepare properly for each format, without having to change from Sunday starts for the 4 day game, and then 2 days later playing a 20/20, and 2 days later back to the 4 day game like it has been over the last 2 seasons.
(27-11-2016, 09:42 PM)parkfield bear Wrote: The 2017 fixtures are for the traditional cricket lover are the worst ever. Only two 8 days maximum of first class cricket at Edgbaston between May and August. The cricket season since the introduction of T20 cricket has changed beyond recognition. If membership numbers fall as a result, it should be noted that the members have not lost interest, it is because the cricket they want to watch is no longer available at the times they want to watch it. The first class game and T20 should be able to coexist but the administrators have decided T20 is the future and County cricket has been sidelined to the backwaters of April and September, when conditions are at their worst for watching the game and the development of players for the future. County members are never listened to, perhaps when they have all but disappeared the powers that be might regret their shortsighted approach

County memberships have generally been sliding away for three decades... this year im going for the T20 season ticket and going to championship matches after work when its generally free. Ill then go to one of the Lords tests, the Edgbaston Test and T20 finals day.... I might go to an ODI if the weather is nice abd tickets are available. ...
I'm actually pretty pleased with the fixtures. There's actually cricket scheduled on some Saturdays! I should be able to go to at least two days of our first match at the Oval as it lies over a weekend. I also think the idea of day/night county matches is a good one as it will enable a lot of people to go after work - hopefully they introduce a half-day ticket for this. A bit strange that they've scheduled them for pretty much the longest day of the year though!
Proud to be a Bear
Can't wait for the season to start, although I think we need franchise cricket to enable the survival of the game, the four day game will always be my favourite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KingWoakes's post:
Paul