Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bangladesh v England
I'm not sure if there have been any other days in Test match history when Birmingham-born bowlers have taken eight wickets in the day - well done Chris Woakes and Moeen Ali.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yes quite true. I like matches which are primarily spin. Makes it more interesting.

I think the nearest equivalent to eight Brummie Test wickets in a day must be 12 January 1912 - Frank Foster (born Birmingham) and Sydney Barnes (born Smethwick) taking eight Australian wickets between them:
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec.../8614.html
Not that Smethwick has ever been part of Birmingham.  But, according to Wikipedia, "in 1888, there had been plans for Smethwick to be incorporated into the city of Birmingham, but the urban district council voted against these plans by a single vote."
Yes, I know, I should get out more.
Bangladesh wickets would raise a few eyebrows if replicated in our County Championship. Although makes for more interesting cricket. Flat wickets make bowlers work harder for success but batsmen seem lacking in technique when faced with bowler friendly conditions. On uncovered wickets facing good spinners great players of the past could still make runs. Modern players are no doubt fitter than players of the past but in my view not as skillful, because in today's game they have not been challenged in the same way. Not their fault of course but game needs to restore balance between bat and ball which usually is far too much in favour of the batsmen, especially in one day cricket. Perhaps a return to uncovered wickets would help redress the balance, certainly make it more interesting and it would bring spinners back into the game. They have all but disappeared in English cricket.
In terms of shot making skills modern players are way ahead of players of the past but they are shown up when wickets offer spin. At least the English players. You cant say the same about the players from Asian countries who are used to playing on spinning tracks. I think we lost a lot by blacklisting bowlers who bowl the doosra. Still aren't really that many successful leg spinners around. Rashid has been poor so far, lacked control. Only really one good leg spinner in the whole of world cricket now and he doesn't spin it much.

(29-10-2016, 09:46 PM)Paul Wrote: In terms of shot making skills modern players are way ahead of players of the past but they are shown up when wickets offer spin. At least the English players. You cant say the same about the players from Asian countries who are used to playing on spinning tracks. I think we lost a lot by blacklisting bowlers who bowl the doosra. Still aren't really that many successful leg spinners around. Rashid has been poor so far, lacked control. Only really one good leg spinner in the whole of world cricket now and he doesn't spin it much.
You mean Josh Poysden, of course.
We lost nothing by banning the deliberate cheats who throw their deliveries.  It is a shame that the ICC took so long to act against the throwers.

Such deliveries are outside the laws of the game and allow those players, and their teams, to gain an unfair & illegal advantage over those players who bowl legally.

There should be no place in the game for those who cheat by throwing the ball. Likewise, there is no place for those involved in illegal gambling & match fixing, or those involved in the use, or supply, of performance enhancing chemicals.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Will we loose 5-0 in India? Bangladesh have shown India what type of wickets to produce. What was the point to Finn last test? Why the need to pick more than 2 seamers. It seems that we are not producing spin bowlers with control anymore. What does it say for English spinners when Moeen was easily the leading wicket taker and the most economically out of the spinners.

Not good is it? Will Gareth Batty get his place back next Test?
Could Josh be considered ?
LE - aka John
(31-10-2016, 11:36 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Not good is it? Will Gareth Batty get his place back next Test?

yes I think so