Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steven Davies
Leaving Surrey after turning down an offer of a new contract.

IMO would be an excellent signing for us. An opening batsman who could also keep wicket in white ball cricket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Baron's post:
Paul
Another test of whether we can attract good players
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(14-09-2016, 10:04 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: Leaving Surrey after turning down an offer of a new contract.

IMO would be an excellent signing for us. An opening batsman who could also keep wicket in white ball cricket.

There were rumours before the start of the season that Davies would come to the Bears for 2017.  He obviously wanted to see if Surrey would give him any Championship cricket this year - and they haven't - so he will be off somewhere.  I think we will be in pole position to get him. 

We obviously need a second experienced Championship wicket keeper anyway (Mellor still has a lot to prove) - even if Tim decides to give it another season - and  Davies' One Day Record is excellent, enough to guarantee his place there (and need no more Aussies / Kiwi keepers in the T20 !).  He could even warrant a place in the Championship team just as a Batsman - his batting is very good (he averaged 50 in 19 Innings in the 2015 Championship season).  He is a local (West Midlands) lad who could well want to get back to his roots - and he is only 30, with a good injury-free record - and could have many seasons still ahead of him.

I think it would be a good shout - and I'm sure we could entice him - even if we're in Division 2 !!
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
I agree, he would be an excellent signing both as a batsman and wicketkeeper, the latter if only in T20 whilst Tim is rested. Let's just hope he is benevolent to our bowlers on Saturday - on his day he can be very destructive!
I have always been a fan of Davies. Classy left handed batsman who is really good in all formats. For me he could have been selected for England just as a batsman. Miles better than Vince. We dont tend to go for or get the really classy batsmen though do we. I think he might end up back at worcester.

Cricinfo's county cricket live feed reports that he is poised to sign for Somerset - disappointing if true.
Proud to be a Bear
Why he would sign for Somerset over us is a mystery. Perhaps any player looking to move, will pass us up as they might think we have little money because we have to pay for the huge fridge where that old ramshackle pavilion used to be. They could be right.
PB I think you have just provided THE name for the pavillion replacement :)
LE - aka John
Yes, off to be a Ciderman:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I wonder if we even attempted to sign him?
Proud to be a Bear
(15-09-2016, 08:58 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: I wonder if we even attempted to sign him?

Doubt it, we never go for players like him,

Warwickshire are not a wealthy club these days, future success will depend on producing our own players. Due to in my view to unwise ground improvements which were on an unnecessary large scale, has saddled the club with massive debt, which means we are no longer able to compete for the better players. Something we will have to accept for the moment. We will probably receive a "staging Fee" when the new 20/20 competition starts, which could be £300,000. With the £1 million plus hand out it could ease our financial worries. Realistically it is a no brainer for Mr Snowball and the club. As a cricket lover i hope it fails, but for the sake of Warwickshire being able to be financially stable in the future we should i suppose all hope it succeeds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Paul