Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Lancashire
Despite all the criticism throughout this season what a great final week to take us happy into hibernation until next March.

Let's wait and see what steps the club takes to ensure next season we are challenging for all 3 trophies.
LE - aka John
Here's my report on the final day, including some comments from Dougie:
http://deepextracover.com/2016/09/warwic...ancashire/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
parkfield bear
Although I wasn't able to get to any of the match it looks as if we played with a ruthless efficiency which has been missing for much of the summer. Perhaps the confidence gained from the Lords' final, coupled with the knowledge that this was a do or die game, provided the impetus but either way it was good to see and a massive relief as I think it will only get tougher to achieve promotion from division 2.

Good to see that the issues are not lost on Dougie and Ian and some tough decisions need to be made. What is the future for the likes of Westwood, Porterfield and Rankin, for example? We clearly need at least one new opener if not two. Do we try to entice a decent young division 2 player such as Dent of Gloucs who looks to have a decent record? An option may be to turn Jeetan into a Kolpak player (it worked for Middx and Franklin) and bring in another OSP opener, although I confess that I can't think who may fit the bill.

Let's hope the issues are truly addressed and that cracks aren't papered over but for now we can breath a collective sigh of relief - for another season at least!
Congratulations to Middlesex by the way... Amazing end at Lords. Good crowd, good weather and to win the championship with a hatrick as the clock ticked down was quite something. Must have been nail biting .... Incredible for Middlesex supporters... Soul destroying for Somerset and Yorks supporters. An amazing end to the championship... and thats why i love it and T20. Two ends of a thrilling spectrum of colour. In the end an excellent week for the Bears too.... but lessons must be learnt. Let's hope the winter is a short one!
[-] The following 2 users Like Warleybear's post:
Harborne Bear, rednalbear
At certain times over the last 40 years, a trophy in the cabinet and a position just below mid-table would have suited us but the high standards we have set for ourselves means that we will look on the season as a disappointment. After 1989 and 1993 seasons, all seemed well despite poor championship positions but with just one division and no relegation it didn't ever appear bad. The second division is almost seen as a real culture shock and derision to any county. To stay competitive in all 3 formats is not exactly easy. Yorkshire got to 2 semi-finals and stayed in the championship race for ages and yet end up with nothing. As Ian Bell said, on paper we are stronger than most which obviously means we underperformed in the CC. I doubt Somerset will be as close as that for another years. Like us, Durham underperformed and it has made a side like Somerset look better than they were. If Somerset had clinched the title, I can frankly say that I have seldom seen such an ordinary side become champions. I think we will be better next year as I think the batting will be better with Bell, Clarke and Hain making a few scores. Whether or not the openers can depends on who is opening. This team as we know it probably have just next year to win the title and after that I think a few might go. I didn't enjoy watching us capitulate in the T20 or give cheap wickets away in the CC but we did pick up the RL Cup with great displays against Yorkshire, Essex, Somerset and Surrey and that made the end of the season bearable along with first division survival.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Warleybear
... I would agree with a lot of that... but some changes are urgently needed.
Here's the interview that Ashley did after the Lancs game. 
He does seem to have brought on a decent crop of youngsters.
http://deepextracover.com/2016/09/ashley...elegation/
His comments about Paul Horton and Haseeb might apply to Warwickshire, Varun Chopra and Andy Umeed, though I'm not sure that Umeed is in the same class as Haseeb. But maybe he needs to be given the chance next year:
"We could have brought someone in to replace Paul Horton – or kept him – and Haseeb would still be lingering around playing second team cricket. Instead, he’s on an England tour."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Interesting to see that Gilo played a lot of the younger guys for Lancs this season. He didnt seem to use our younger guys much at all apart from Paul Best in one day cricket.
...... and in the end we finished mid table 5th.... sort of helped by Durham being sacrificed by the ECB...