Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v Pakistan
Looks like its £16 for adults....
To be fair to Edgbaston, I've read an article that said they have had to start on a Wednesday in order to give the Oval their preferred start day of Thursday and this has split the first day crowd. I think you would have found that had the third day been a Saturday at Edgbaston it would have been pretty well full. As it is buying in advance for a fourth day given recent test history is a risk too far for many people travelling. On that basis 14,000 for a test against Pakistan is probably not too bad. I think it's outrageous that the Oval have been tied into a long term guaranteed test contract when London gets tests with Lords.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Paul
Just to re-emphasise.... This is not a problem created by the club. Test venues have had a significant cost to bare in the last decade to bring themselves up to a standard required by the ICC. I believe test tickets for non 'gold' days must be subsidised. I really do believe that days one, two and four should have followed the slogan twenty is plenty. Ten thousand empty seats on one of the hottest days of the year with the match nicely poised and it being a Saturday, do not reflect well on the game. The argument it is good value is a fig leaf excuse. At what point do we really worry.... When there are 18,000 unsold seats on a Saturday? I've heard it all before about Wednesday starts.... So this shouldn't have been a surprise to any administrator.... The clubs own ticket site showed there was a significant problem only a few days ago.... the message put out was they were flying off the shelves. For the sake of test cricket, the game in this country needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

On the subject of guaranteed tests. Lords, the Oval and Edgbaston should be guaranteed one. However, after seeing all those empty seats this week, it suggests the club has a lot of work to do in getting people back into the ground outside an ashes test. I used to go to every day of practically every test at Edgbaston.... Due to rampant price increases I do not; indeed there are now some tests I don't go to at all. It looks like there are many others who have also sadly taken that stance.
Why should the Oval be guaranteed a test, making two in London? Having done a behind the scenes tour there a year ago, they need to bring some of their facilities up to date. The away changing room was shocking - like a dingy cupboard!
WB I agree - I'm another that stopped going when the price increased well beyond the rate of inflation. Coupled with not being trusted to be sensible with a bottle of my own wine or a few beers but being able to purchase highly inflated drinks in the ground was the final straw.

I wonder what the prices will be for the next Ashes test ...............£100?
LE - aka John
Goodbye to Mr Vince
Chris Woakes has taken the most wickets in a series by an England bowler v Pakistan.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Well done Chris.... but what a debacle today has been :-(
Yes Younus was amazing. Really is one of the all time greats. Cook got it wrong batting first on a green pitch. Think the score would be the other way around if we had bowled. 2-2 is probably fair though. Good series. Should have been a 5 match series. Million miles better than the Sri Lanka one.

Chris Woakes England's man of the series.

Angus Fraser was at Edgbaston today and hinted that he was looking at spin options for England for the winter.  A pity, then, that Ansari only bowled 8 wicketless overs and the only spinner to turn the ball off the straight is a Kiwi.
I would think that Chris Woakes is nailed on for one of Wisden's five cricketers of the year.

Meanwhile, there is a middle order batting slot with Sam Hain's name written all over it. I think he qualifies this winter?
I like Sam and I think he will go on to big things but I hope he isn't called up too soon. He is still very young and exposure to the international game when he is not ready could ultimately be a bad thing. Over the past few years we have seen many players brought into the England fold and then cast off as not being good enough. We just have to look at the situation with Woakes, who would have thought this time last year he would have gotten Man of the Series? Most non Warwickshire 'fans' seemed to have him in the same category of Jade Dernbach!

I think another couple of years in the county circuit accumulating runs and, hopefully, overcoming these little injury niggles Sam will definitely be ready for an England call up.

The fact this will benefit us is surely coincidental....
(15-08-2016, 10:39 AM)adickinson Wrote: I like Sam and I think he will go on to big things but I hope he isn't called up too soon. He is still very young and exposure to the international game when he is not ready could ultimately be a bad thing. Over the past few years we have seen many players brought into the England fold and then cast off as not being good enough. We just have to look at the situation with Woakes, who would have thought this time last year he would have gotten Man of the Series? Most non Warwickshire 'fans' seemed to have him in the same category of Jade Dernbach!

I think another couple of years in the county circuit accumulating runs and, hopefully, overcoming these little injury niggles Sam will definitely be ready for an England call up.

The fact this will benefit us is surely coincidental....

Absolutely agree .......................except leave gotten to the yanks - use "got" or "achieved" instead :-)
LE - aka John
Many apologies, I do not know what came over me ?
(15-08-2016, 03:55 PM)adickinson Wrote: Many apologies, I do not know what came over me ?

You're not the first person to have gotten a telling off from LE.
The noise!!!