Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v Pakistan
Not a bad bowler either

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
narsty simon
Ive got to say that I had my doubts as to whether he could perform at the highest level in test cricket and keep a regular place. I was wrong.... superb few weeks for him!
Do you think he has got better or its just the luck has now changed. Englands main bowler now! Pakistan have been made to pay for their over-reaction to a test win with that rediculous celebration. I bet that wound the England players up big time. Root is the best batsman I have seen in 40 odd years of watching England. Whether he will get as many runs as Cook I dont know but the style in which he gets them is different.

Perhaps its a coming of age thing... perhaps its luck.... perhaps he just needed to get into that all important run of form..... perhaps its all three.

Root, Cook and Woakes have been amazing.

Will England enforce the follow on.... on this occasion I can see no reason not to..... but modernity now often dictates they wont.
Excellent win.... very worrying how poor the fourth day crowd was. Advance sales for the fourth day must have been very poor.
Agreed - great win in front of many empty seats.
LE - aka John
Not good for the game - this wasn't a 5th day. Tickets would have been on advance sale to. I think the ECB should look into this urgently.

I see that there is currently plenty of availability on the web site for Day 1, 2 and 4 at Edgbaston.

Day 3 (Friday) looks like a very healthy attendance.

Not popular amongst some I know, but I have said this a few times over the last few years - empty seat syndrome will grow outside an Ashes test.

learly the worry is that there will be lots of empty seats for this test. Personally I think £ 41 is too much for a test starting on Wednesday. I know people will say its excellent value for a day out... and in many ways it is - but it does add up.

Empty grounds will do test cricket no good; visually they are bad too and the broadcaster wont like them. Ticket prices need to be reviewed. £ 20 in the Eric Hollies stand is more than enough for the first day of this series. Child seat prices are good - but there are many people that doesn't help,

Lets hope as we get nearer, more of those "seat available" dots go..... but I do believe that the ECB need to take urgent action for the sake of test cricket.
Crazy that a test starts on a Wednesday. First 3 days take place in the working week. Saturday is the big day for tests and yet it could be the day the game finishes by 2pm. As for Sunday.......................

All this just so the ECB can cram in a test series in just a few weeks. Please bring back the 5 test series spread out throughout the summer.
LE - aka John
(26-07-2016, 11:24 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Not good for the game - this wasn't a 5th day. Tickets would have been on advance sale to. I think the ECB should look into this urgently.

I see that there is currently plenty of availability on the web site for Day 1, 2 and 4 at Edgbaston.

Day 3 (Friday) looks like a very healthy attendance.

Not popular amongst some I know, but I have said this a few times over the last few years - empty seat syndrome will grow outside an Ashes test.

learly the worry is that there will be lots of empty seats for this test. Personally I think £ 41 is too much for a test starting on Wednesday. I know people will say its excellent value for a day out... and in many ways it is - but it does add up.

Empty grounds will do test cricket no good; visually they are bad too and the broadcaster wont like them. Ticket prices need to be reviewed. £ 20 in the Eric Hollies stand is more than enough for the first day of this series. Child seat prices are good - but there are many people that doesn't help,

Lets hope as we get nearer, more of those "seat available" dots go..... but I do believe that the ECB need to take urgent action for the sake of test cricket.

I bought a ticket for £31 today for a friend in the Stanley Barnes - I think that's a reasonable price. Can't think of many international sporting events you could get for that price. They are apparently now selling in the region of 400-500 tickets a day after a slow start. I guess people have been impressed by the cricket and the fact it's 1:1.
We will agree to disagree Stingray.... We've had this ddiscussion before. I was really concerned by OT and think the ECB really have to do something to keep attendances high. Ticket prices may seem reasonable (I looked at EH which was £41) but there are other costs. A quick look at the ticket site left me a tad concerned over days 1, 2 and 4. A Wednesday start doesnt help as LE points out.

Anyway... nice to see your post Stingray. .. perhaps its me .... it seems a long time? ;-)
(26-07-2016, 08:54 PM)Warleybear Wrote: We will agree to disagree Stingray.... We've had this ddiscussion before. I was really concerned by OT and think the ECB really have to do something to keep attendances high. Ticket prices may seem reasonable (I looked at EH which was £41) but there are other costs. A quick look at the ticket site left me a tad concerned over days 1, 2 and 4. A Wednesday start doesnt help as LE points out.

Anyway... nice to see your post Stingray. .. perhaps its me .... it seems a long time? ;-)

It has Warley. Been a bit preoccupied and time has flown by. In the last year had a health scare, had treatment, moved house and then a few weeks ago retired, so spent a few months at work frantically trying to clear up things before I left. Now I'm retired I still don't know where the time goes! Nice to be able to spend more time at the cricket although the rain has been a pain this season.
Welcome back Stingray - not sure we can accept the excuses..............................only joking. We have missed your points of view even when you are wrong :-)

I certainly know what you mean about not knowing where the time goes.
LE - aka John
Great to hear from you Stingray!
Hope you fully over your health scare Marina.

(27-07-2016, 11:19 AM)Paul Wrote: Hope you fully over your health scare Marina.

Thanks Paul. Hopefully I am - had a review in oncology today and all ok. In good hands at the QE! It prompted me retiring to be honest as it definitely makes you rethink priorities. I had also done 38 years in the NHS which I think is enough. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute mind. All ok with you?

By the way, just in case any of you had forgotten my devotion to Trotty, (how could you!) we had two goldfish the other day and they're called Trotty and Sammy (mini Trotty don't you think?!!!)
I'm glad to hear it Stingray. I know its always going to worry you everytime you go for a checkup. Yes I am ok.

I see Australia faced a record 154 balls yesterday without scoring a run in their defeat in Sri Lanka....
Hi eveyone,

I hope to visit Edgbaston for the first time on Wednesday for the Test match and was wondering what will be the best way to reach New Street Station after the close of play? I suspect it will be difficult to catch a bus or taxi due to the crowds. Is University station easier to reach from Edgbaston?
Rather than catch a 45 or 47 which run along Pershore Road instead walk about 3 mins further to Bristol Road to catch the 61 or 63.

Just that little bit away from the ground makes it a better option. Alternative is a 25 minute walk into town.
(31-07-2016, 09:27 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: Rather than catch a 45 or 47 which run along Pershore Road instead walk about 3 mins further to Bristol Road to catch the 61 or 63.

Just that little bit away from the ground makes it a better option. Alternative is a 25 minute walk into town.

Thanks.