Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v Pakistan
I haven't been able to watch any of it but it looks as though Chris Woakes has had an excellent first day at Lord's - congratulations to him!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
4th wicket with last ball of the day. More proof we will not see much of him at Edgbaston over the next few years.
LE - aka John
I didn't see it but noticed it took ages for cOOK to give him a second spell. Preferring Finn and Ball over him. I didn't get it as Chris had got two wickets.

5 wkts for the leggie on a2nd day pitch not taking spin, what happens if he bowls@ the oval on day 5?, will English batsmen ever learn to play wrist spin?'
Another excellent performance from Woakes. At last he seems comfortable, and doing what we know he can, in the England team
Yes briliant from Woakes. This has the makings of a fantastic series after the dull crap of the Sri Lanka one.

A wonderful test match.... Although ironic that that a cheat should take the final wicket.

I am convinced that test matches should be four days.....
He was a young lad when he committed the offence so to define him as a cheat forever is harsh. I think this is a seriously good Pakistan team. Woakes didnt deserve to be on the losing team. Moeen's shot was awful. England need to improve if they are going to get back into this series. Don't see Vince as a test batsman.

Ban those who are corrupt for life..... Test cricket could be finished by people who take bungs from bookies.

Anyway... this looks as if this is going to be a very competative series. Woakes has certainly come of age.
it could but I think in his case given his age at the time and senior players who probably influenced him, he deserves a second chance. He went to prison, he served his ban and now its time for forgiveness.

The biggest killer of test cricket are one sided uncompetitive series like the Sri Lanka one. Yes Pakistan are a good side and will be a real challenge for England having beat them in the UAE recently. No illegal bowling actions either. Just a quality leg spinner who will probably end up the fastest player ever to 100 test wickets and very good seamers.

We've got a bit of a problem with thinking that limited overs tactics will work at Test match level. We need to add some solidity, for which reason I would keep Ballance rather than Vince when Stokes comes back. It also helps that he's left handed. There has been talk of playing two spinners at Old Trafford so Moeen may survive. He can do a lot better with the bat, just needs a good talking to. Come to think of it, with Ballance, Stokes and Moeen in the middle order that's three lefties in a row which might help nullify Shah.

Of course, with Stokes back we don't necessarily need four seamers. I just wouldn't want to be in the room when Stuart Broad is told that he's been dropped for Rashid.
Ballance has to stay. Vince is not a test match batsman in my view. Moeen batted well first innings and was unlucky to be given out. 2nd innings was an aberration but he has done that to spinners before and its gone out of the ground but Shah needs more respect. He also got their two best batsmen out second innings. If Stokes isn't bowling why bring him back? Three seamers and two spinners is enough. Pakistan play 3 and 1.

Australia played3 and1in the Warne era,if your spinners world class you can do that
Squad for the next game has been announced with Anderson, Stokes and Rashid all added. I would think Broad's place is distinctly in doubt.
We don't have a world class spinner so cant do that. Why Broad's place? I think he's nailed on!

They will probably drop Woakes for Anderson !!!!!!!!!!!!
LE - aka John
That would be a sackable offence

Anderson, Broad and Woakes for me and if the weather stays like this play two spinners. They can also bring in Stokes for Vince or Ballance if they like. Don't see the point of Vince. Offers less than Moeen with the bat. Yesterday was a very lucky 40

Just checking to see if it was likely that I could buy a ticket nearer the match. I was shocked to see that the you could virtually pick your seat on the 2nd day (Thursday)..... Saying that I thought £41 for the EH stand plus booking charge was a tad pricey.
Not a bad nightwatchman being supported by Root !!!
LE - aka John