Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Varun Chopra
This is more than a little disturbing:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
The story doesn't attempt to explain why Chopra is so out of favour, so there must be more to be told.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Extremely disturbing. I believed it was him wanting a return to London. If we lose him and he has wanted to stay all along, the powers that be at our place have yet more serious questions to answer, we cannot afford to lose our only proven opener.

He should also be playing every game for us in all formats.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
What a strange report. Who instigated the interview? Is Chopra telling the truth? If so, what have the club got against him?

Time for some investigative journalism.
Could it be anything to do with losing the captaincy toBell ? Strange no comment from the club
LE - aka John
Ha ha....where's The Birmingham Mail cricket correspondent when you need him? Oh....they haven't got one!
All the vibes seem to be that he will go. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36683991
Might wages have something to do with it? We have a large squad of players who are probably on good wages, might we be feeling the pinch from a financial perspective?

Nevertheless if he does go he will be badly missed, quite frankly I find it ridiculous that the isn't playing more considering the poor form of most of our other batsman.
I wondered if having to reabsorb Trotty's wages and, presumably, Ian Bell's was putting some pressure on the wages cap. Central contract needed for Chris Woakes, perhaps.
Seems to me that WCCC are being criticised for this situation when perhaps the reality is that Varun has made his mind up that he wants to move back 'down south' and has made clear that he has no intention of being persuaded otherwise. I may of course be wrong but if i am right I would back Dougie's judgement and look to the future when it comes to team selection for limited over cricket. It may also be - to some extent at least - what VC wants, i.e. to focus on 4 day cricket in a bid to woo the selectors and seek international recognition, at least in the context of a Lions team if nothing else. I'm a fan of VC and don't want him to go but the vibes suggest to me that his mind is made up and he is intent on leaving at the end of the season.

On the assumption that we are destined to lose him, I'd be focusing efforts on securing the services of someone like Ben Duckett or Chris Dent, both of whom look to be talented batsmen in division two and both of whom might be looking to a bigger club to progress their careers on a bigger stage. I'd take either or both of them if the opportunity presented itself.
(02-07-2016, 10:34 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Seems to me that WCCC are being criticised for this situation when perhaps the reality is that Varun has made his mind up that he wants to move back 'down south' and has made clear that he has no intention of being persuaded otherwise. I may of course be wrong but if i am right I would back Dougie's judgement and look to the future when it comes to team selection for limited over cricket. It may also be - to some extent at least - what VC wants, i.e. to focus on 4 day cricket in a bid to woo the selectors and seek international recognition, at least in the context of a Lions team if nothing else. I'm a fan of VC and don't want him to go but the vibes suggest to me that his mind is made up and he is intent on leaving at the end of the season.

On the assumption that we are destined to lose him, I'd be focusing efforts on securing the services of someone like Ben Duckett or Chris Dent, both of whom look to be talented batsmen in division two and both of whom might be looking to a bigger club to progress their careers on a bigger stage. I'd take either or both of them if the opportunity presented itself.

It could be that he wants to go but that is not the gist of the interview with George, where he says: "I've had no contract offer and you sort of draw your own conclusions when that happens."
Maybe the absence of an offer is because VC has made it abundantly clear that he wants out at all costs, in which case what is the point of offering a contract that won't be accepted? I am sure it will all come out in the wash but we do need to hear WCCC's version of events as well as VC's, which may not tell the whole story.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...32451.html

A shame, I hope we do not come to regret this.
As the article states, we need to make changes in the squad, & if Varun isn't happy under the Bell captaincy, perhaps it is for the best that he moves on.

I wouldn't be surprised if several other players with several years service are released, or offered 'white ball only' contracts.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Like Porterfield?
Extremely disappointing news. We now need two new openers for next season, unless Umeed can come into some sort of form to show he can be relied upon during the remainder of the season.
Well if we're looking to youth, who are the openers who are knocking the door down?

Also does this mean the end of Porterfield and Westwood? guessing not...

Real shame that a player in his prime is being let go when we dont seem to have any viable alternatives...
There's more to this than meets the eye, as greenday says, if Chopra is too old etc etc. What happens to Westwood and Porterfield? Who's the replacement for him? Chopra appeared quite scathing in the Cricinfo interview - and suggested he wanted to stay (when the chat all season has been that he wants to go back to Essex). Very odd.
It must be tricky for Chopra to be playing against Hampshire who have made a 28 day approach for him. He will want to impress them but if he scores a hundred and Hampshire get relegated, he probably won't want to go to them.
One way or another, it's Chexit.
Where is the tipping point between "buying into team culture" and being a better than average player? If clubs and teams need managers, then surely one of their functions must be to manage players for mutual benefit. Ditching good players for a better team culture (whatever that is) isn't management, it's *avoiding* management.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(27-07-2016, 01:41 PM)coolerking Wrote: Where is the tipping point between "buying into team culture" and being a better than average player?  If clubs and teams need managers, then surely one of their functions must be to manage players for mutual benefit.  Ditching good players for a better team culture (whatever that is) isn't management, it's *avoiding* management.

Careful, we'll be back into the KP debate at this rate  Biggrin

Worries me for next season, we are already one opener light, will be two now without Varun. Sam opening in white ball stuff, think he could do it in the longer format?