Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World T20
Interesting article by Tim Wigmore, probably the most knowlegable writer on Associate countries cricket

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-tw...82797.html
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Warleybear
I agree. An interesting read.  Whilst Ireland's lack of success is unfortunate for them,it is good if there has been a rise in standards elsewhere.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Having seen many of the qualifying games, several of last weeks games, all online, & seen Hong Kong play live, on a known ground against known opposition, I'd say it is certainly a case of rising standards.
Having seen Kenya fade away from a higher standard, including reach a world cup semi final, it seems that Ireland had a "golden generation" of players, similar to Kenya, but don't have the broad base of players for the team to evolve and replace ageing players.

I'd say that, currently, the Netherlands are the strongest of the European nations, with Scotland not far behind. Of the Non European countries, Hong Kong are rapidly improving, & Oman are also on the rise. Obviously with Afghanistan also very strong, but much better funded and much further along the development pathway.

Warwickshire are fortunate to have a leading prospect from both Ireland & Scotland on the staff, it will be good to follow their development into full time first team players, and into full internationals for their countries.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Warleybear
(15-03-2016, 10:51 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: The joy of cricket is an even competition between bat and ball, requiring a balanced set of skills that are only fully shown and developed in longer forms of the game.

The 20 over slog game, especially when played with stupidly short boundaries, not only reduces the range of skills required, but also makes the game a very unequal contest.

But you seem very interested by it ? ;-)

Anyway Gayle put England to the sword this afternoon.... When hes in that form 230 might be a challengeing total. :-o
I have an interest in the sport, & watching club level 20 over cricket, on a good ground can be an enjoyable experience.

It is also fairly enjoyable to umpire at that level.

However it is not a form of cricket most people would choose to experience every day.

The old comparison between McDonald's and fine dining is very valid. (Other unhealthy fast food options are available)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(16-03-2016, 07:32 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(15-03-2016, 10:51 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: The joy of cricket is an even competition between bat and ball, requiring a balanced set of skills that are only fully shown and developed in longer forms of the game.

The 20 over slog game, especially when played with stupidly short boundaries, not only reduces the range of skills required, but also makes the game a very unequal contest.

But you seem very interested by it ? ;-)

Anyway Gayle put England to the sword this afternoon.... When hes in that form 230 might be a challengeing total. :-o

yes he did but theres no excuse for the amount of wides and poor balls we bowled.

Listened to that idiot Steve Elworthy@ Edgbaston last night,if wb had bothered to turn up he'd've found it interesting,they both champion the t20 slog although Elworthy doesn't think losing any of the 1st class counties is the way forward& said50 over cricket's here until@ least2023
Hmmm... That long.

A strong championship (perhaps with a slightly different mix of 18 counties giving more geographic coverage based on two divisions playing each other home and away with two up two down) plus T20 is my preferred option.

Excellent - thanks for the update. Appreciated.
My fear is in years to come,red bal lcricket won't exist& the ashes decided over5 t20slogs&when people are bored with that a 5 over version to make the game'more attractive ',just hope I 'm not around to witness it
May as well just toss a coin Simon or have a bowl out behind close doors.

Here's an idea to speed up the t20 game. Allow just one minute between overs. No changes to field places to be allowed during overs.

That will stop the game being reduced to T10 and then F5
LE - aka John
Reduce the shape of the playing area too, so it's all within a right angle from middle stump, so all shots have to be in front of the wicket, with no changing of ends between overs.

Maybe change the game so that the batting team alternates after three batsmen are out too?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Tee hee! And maybe the ball could be delivered with a bent arm.

Oh....
Yes, could even give the person delivering the ball a raised mound so he doesn't need to waste energy running to gather speed, & let all the fielders wear a big leather glove to make catching the ball easier.

You never know, it might make the game popular in the American & Japanese markets :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
T20 rules.Brilliant run chase England.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Warleybear
.... Im just a tad fed up with the negativity from some regarding T20. Ive come to the conclusion that those who dont like it dont like professional cricket... they hanker for some amateur world of the 1920s. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.... but they seem to spend more time being negative in a very negative way, rather than understanding that negativity is a danger to the whole game and that includes the longer format. T20 brings in money that the game desperately needs... it brings modernity that youth that may replenish many an ageing county following and new skills that drive other forms of the game forward. I could go on and on.... but those who dont like T20 will continue to froth at the mouth in their rabid attempts to be destructive.

Anyway... IMHO two excellent games today that were great adverts for the whole game at the heighest level that will lift the games profile. I for one thought Englands win was sensational.... a remarkable run chase that I rejoice in. Fortunately I suspect that outside the rump core of sadly rabid purists that I am not alone.
I thought that one shot from Root where he reverse swept a seamer for six was magnificent. No question t20 has moved batting on to a new level entirely to what it used to be. Todays game was a great advert for t20 cricket, so many ebbs and flows that you dont normally associate with the game.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with T20 if it could exist in its own parallel form rather as Rugby Sevens does alongside the 15-a-side game. I could ignore it whilst those that like that kind of thing can have their fill. The problem is that the "powers-that-be" seem to be of the opinion that championship cricket should die so that T20 can flourish. I know you, Warley, are not one of those people but the decision makers keep coming back year after year with plans to castrate the championship. ¡No pasarán! I shall continue to resist this with as much negativity as it takes.
As good as the idea of having cricket running like Rugby Union is the trouble is the players in the trad form of the game would not be able the same sort of money as the T20 players. Whereas in RU both sets of players are able to earn big money.

Also cricket has players doing very well in both forms e.g. Root
LE - aka John
Why do they have to reduce the amount of 4 day games. We used to have 24 championship games running alongside a sunday 40 over league and b & h + Nat west 60 over. I guess we have more international cricket now than ever before.