Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa v England 2016
(04-02-2016, 12:59 PM)Paul Wrote: Good word Terry.  With the greatest respect i have noticed some anti-irish feeling on here. The attitude towards the Birmingham six who were innocent yet still blamed is something I dont understand.

Do you really think they were innocent? They got off because of the way the police handled the case and not because it was proven they had nothing to do with it. Why has there never been any investigation to try and find the "real" culprits?
LE - aka John
Back to cricket, again!

I thought the inning by Quinton De Kock was excellent, he is a genuine keeper who can bat, unlike many who have played for England in recent years.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
He looks a great prospect.

(04-02-2016, 03:41 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: We are all allowed to have our opinions here, and mine will continue to be presented properly when appropriate.
We may not all agree all the time, but we are allowed to have opinions and if we want, present the reasoning that forms those opinions.
I'm sure some here would prefer that members here all shared the same opinion, but that will never happen, and would be unhealthy.

Back to cricket, is it really a fair contest of bat & ball when both sides are scoring at around 8 runs per over?

Perhaps offering a different opinion... In short..... Yes. I couldnt believe the negativity towards there being more than a couple of sixes in an ODI on TMS. I have no problem with there being a dozen or more in an innings.... Scores of over 350 may save 50 over cricket. Perhaps those who love 50 over cricket have a death wish for that format.... Some of the luddites (or perhaps at the BBC lovdites) never seem happy? I thought England's innings was aggressive and entertaining, with a squad that could also compete at IT20. Good stuff IMHO..... May even watch the next match.
WB i here what you say but surely if 350 becomes an average score it's to much in favour of the batsmen thier has to be an element of a fair contest between bat ,and ball. I am not saying 200 plays 200 or less is a good thing ether because that's to much in favour of bowlers then.
(04-02-2016, 04:37 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 12:59 PM)Paul Wrote: Good word Terry.  With the greatest respect i have noticed some anti-irish feeling on here. The attitude towards the Birmingham six who were innocent yet still blamed is something I dont understand.

Do you really think they were innocent? They got off because of the way the police handled the case and not because it was proven they had nothing to do with it. Why has there never been any investigation to try and find the "real" culprits?

It's a bit off-topic for this particular thread but this article is revealing:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/...court-told
Especially:
"Ashley Underwood QC, for the victims’ relatives, told the court: “These tragic deaths were as a result of the worst mass murder in living memory in England. They were followed by what was the most serious miscarriage of justice in living memory. That miscarriage led to no investigation being carried out into the deaths.

“There’s a regrettable suspicion that police officers involved in convicting the Birmingham Six lied in order to get those convictions. That raises questions about why they lied to get innocent people convicted. One possibility is that they lied to cover up the real guilty parties.”
Underwood said there was “reason to believe that murderous [IRA] gang may have had an informant in their midst and [the police] may have known in advance about the bombs”. It was also possible that the police lied “to convict someone they believed was guilty”."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
yes hopefully we will find out the people who are genuinely responsiible

... and the RAF will establish a squadron of Gloucester Old Spots.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
Paul
My point is though that none of this proves the WRONG people were arrested - it just proves the method used was badly flawed. Their reaction on being released said an awful lot to me - not the normal reaction of someone being released following being found wrongly convicted.
LE - aka John
(11-02-2016, 05:17 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: My point is though that none of this proves the WRONG people were arrested - it just proves the method used was badly flawed. Their reaction on being released said an awful lot to me - not the normal reaction of someone being released following being found wrongly convicted.

If the counsel for the relatives of the victims says that there was "the most serious miscarriage of justice in living memory", that surely means that the relatives believe that the wrong people were convicted.
(11-02-2016, 05:17 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: My point is though that none of this proves the WRONG people were arrested - it just proves the method used was badly flawed. Their reaction on being released said an awful lot to me - not the normal reaction of someone being released following being found wrongly convicted.

What is the normal reaction after having confessions beaten out of them by the police and having spent 16 years in prison. Maybe they should have shown more respect for the victims but if they didn't do it then they are also the victims so I dont know.

Until others are convicted for the crime then I will not be persuaded to change my opinion. So I think we should get this thread back on track and talk about South Africa v England 2016.

How the game has changed - a score of over 6 an over used to mean game won - not anymore.
LE - aka John
Interestingly, few of the innings in the U19 World Cup are getting anywhere near 300 in 50 overs. Does this mean that the grown up game is just a strength test now?
At the Wanderers, Stokes has got De Kock out & Woakes got Du Pleissis.

The U19world cup games all seem to have been played on very Tired, slow wickets.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(12-02-2016, 06:01 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: At the Wanderers, Stokes has got De Kock out & Woakes got Du Pleissis.

The U19world cup games all seem to have been played on very Tired, slow wickets.
I thought for a minute that Stokes had gone back to his bad boy days.
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Leicester Exile, Paul
It seems that one of the umpires is having a bit of a stinker so far today.

As an alternative to TMS, the South African coverage of the game is at http://www.radio2000.co.za with a very strong team of commentators.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Excellent performance from ABD today, showing quality & leadership.

Interestingly, from listening to the South African commentary, it would seem that Chris Woakes is rated more highly by the South Africans than England.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Disappointing end to a series that had started so well for England. At last year's World Cup the wrong squad was selected. Now we've got a talented side but they're playing without thought or organisation. Bayliss has to be mainly responsible for improving that, coupled with the captain on the field. Morgan shows no signs of being a great captain but there's a shortage of officer material in the rest of the squad. When do they switch to Root?
Its been a long winter for many of the players. The ones that played both formats in the UAE and South Africa will be glad to get home before the season starts over here.

Interesting comments here about the one day series

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35574606

What is worrying is the lack of understanding by Morgan that you have to play in a style suited to the conditions, the SA team adapted to the conditions and won the series.
There are GOOD Mugabe's