Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa v England 2016
Yet again England go into a series with a captain who is not a British citizen. It would not happen with any other country playing cricket, or indeed any other sport.

International sport is meant to be played betweens sides from the country they are representing, not by mercenaries who have no connection, or commitment, to the country they are representing.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Interesting to see that the T20 and ODI team are close to being the same team. Should mean a few fireworks from England if they can use all the fifty overs.

As for the captain............ International opportunities at the highest level are few in cricket.... the game limited to a few countries when it comes to all formats. The ICC need to move Ireland forward in all formats IMHO. I'[m sure they could certainly compete with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh at Test level.....
As an alternative to the BBC TMS coverage, the South African SABC offers full coverage on radio2000.co.za
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Thanks GM :-)
(03-02-2016, 12:31 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Yet again England go into a series with a captain who is not a British citizen. It would not happen with any other country playing cricket, or indeed any other sport.

International sport is meant to be played betweens sides from the country they are representing, not by mercenaries who have no connection, or commitment, to the country they are representing.

When you say "no connection", you are choosing to exclude the fact that he was partly educated at Dulwich College in England and has spent a decade playing county cricket in this country, where he lives.  As for "no commitment", he has said:  ‘From the age of 13, I wanted to play cricket for England."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
His main residence is, and always has been in the Republic of Ireland, and he is not a British citizen, so should not be representing the England side.

It's very simple, you should be a citizen of the country you are representing.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(03-02-2016, 04:52 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: His main residence is, and always has been in the Republic of Ireland, and he is not a British citizen, so should not be representing the England side.

It's very simple, you should be a citizen of the country you are representing.

I was responding to the "no connection" and "no commitment" comments that you made.
Imran Khan spent two years at Worcster RGS, would that be classed as a qualifying commitment to England?

Someone committed to playing for a country wouldnt be missing internationals to play in a domestic t20 league, and then not play for the county that employees him for several months.

Do you honestly think Australia, New Zealand or South Africa would play someone who wasn't a citizen of the country?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Eoin Morgan meets the ICC regulations that make him eligible to play for England.
It's possible, of course, to invent your own rules and then get miffed if the rest of the world doesn't follow them but it's a bit of a futile exercise.
I think its good for Anglo-Irish relations so I'm all for Morgan captaining England. As for mercenary, I'm sure if he was part of the test setup then he would give up the ipl but whats the problem with him improving his one day skills by playing in the top t20 competition in world cricket.

So the likes of Strauss, Trott, KP, and many more should never have played for England.
LE - aka John
All of the players you named are British citizens, with at least one parent that is British.

There is a difference.

Yes, Morgan is permitted to play for England by ICC regulations, but that does not change the fact he is not a British citizen.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I think we are all used to it by now TGM Morgan bashing. When the county season starts at some point in the season it will be Porterfields turn to be picked on.
I think it's known as Hibernophobia.
Good word Terry. With the greatest respect i have noticed some anti-irish feeling on here. The attitude towards the Birmingham six who were innocent yet still blamed is something I dont understand.

To answer Rednal's point, if Porterfield performs well he will be praised, the same as any player. Likewise if he's failing to perform adequately, and there are better options, that will be commented upon too.

We are all allowed to have our opinions here, and mine will continue to be presented properly when appropriate.
We may not all agree all the time, but we are allowed to have opinions and if we want, present the reasoning that forms those opinions.
I'm sure some here would prefer that members here all shared the same opinion, but that will never happen, and would be unhealthy.

Back to cricket, is it really a fair contest of bat & ball when both sides are scoring at around 8 runs per over?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Don't ever remember you praising Porterfield, and i would say he has been our best one day player since he joined us. Agree with your last point
(04-02-2016, 03:41 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: To answer Rednal's point, if Porterfield performs well he will be praised, the same as any player. Likewise if he's failing to perform adequately, and there are better options, that will be commented upon too.

We are all allowed to have our opinions here, and mine will continue to be presented properly when appropriate.
We may not all agree all the time, but we are allowed to have opinions and if we want, present the reasoning that forms those opinions.  
I'm sure some here would prefer that members here all shared the same opinion, but that will never happen, and would be unhealthy.

Back to cricket, is it really a fair contest of bat & ball when both sides are scoring at around 8 runs per over?

As in yesterdays odi. I think the boundaries were brought in as well, which given the bats and the power these players can hit the ball is rediculous. It seems to me that if Buttler could actually prove himself in the longer format then he would be a better option than Bairstow and his keeping is far better.

I tend mainly to comment on the championship game, which interests me more, but I do look forward to having the opportunity to praise Porterfield for good performances this year.

IT does seem that wicket keeping ability is undervalued.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Tall bear,you tend to comment on any sporting event you'be not witnessed