Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England in South Africa
Rather than continue this discussion under Ian Bell's thread, I thought I'd start this up.

I actually think Samit Patel is a rather good cricketer - almost, but not quite, international class. I simply don't see how he fits into a Test squad for South Africa. He isn't going to displace Moeen as lead spinner and he isn't one of the six best batsman around so why is he there? Muddled thinking.

I also don't rate Hales as a red ball player. He will fail. Going back to Compton is not the worst idea though.

Given the difficulty in finding an opening partner for Cook, it rather throws into focus the loss of form by Varun Chopra. Nobody mentions him as a candidate any more whereas once he would have been in the frame. Hope he has a better season next year.
(19-11-2015, 07:55 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Rather than continue this discussion under Ian Bell's thread, I thought I'd start this up.

I actually think Samit Patel is a rather good cricketer - almost, but not quite, international class. I simply don't see how he fits into a Test squad for South Africa. He isn't going to displace Moeen as lead spinner and he isn't one of the six best batsman around so why is he there? Muddled thinking.

I also don't rate Hales as a red ball player. He will fail. Going back to Compton is not the worst idea though.

Given the difficulty in finding an opening partner for Cook, it rather throws into focus the loss of form by Varun Chopra. Nobody mentions him as a candidate any more whereas once he would have been in the frame. Hope he has a better season next year.

I agree with all of the above except that I'm not sure about Hales because I've not seen enough of him in red ball cricket.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Hales had a good season for Notts so he is the next man to have a go. Compton was unlucky to get dropped before. Thought it might be he was too pally with KP. Westwood has probably more chance than Chopra now???

(19-11-2015, 08:05 PM)Terry Wrote:
(19-11-2015, 07:55 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Rather than continue this discussion under Ian Bell's thread, I thought I'd start this up.

I agree with all of the above except that I'm not sure about Hales because I've not seen enough of him in red ball cricket.

Great fan of Alex Hales - He has scored a lot off runs against Warwickshire in 4-day cricket in recent years - Like his predecessors in Test Cricket he needs a run in the side - They gave Adam Lyeith an over-extended run in my opinion - Let's see how he does in South Africa eh? Nick Compton unceremoniously dropped although (as Sky pointed out last night) his record opening the batting with Alastair Cook is pretty good - Here again time will tell.

Disappointed for Ian Bell - Hopefully England's loss will be Warwickshire's gain. He's been a top class batsman for a long time now - You don't score nearly 8000 Test runs if you cannot bat - Quite, well-spoken, humble bloke - One of the good guys - Great talent!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DJL's post:
Paul