Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v Pakistan, In UAE
Well I'm quite happy to be on the opposite side of the argument to Michael Vaughan any day.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Taylor has batted well. Stupid he didn't play in the first two tests

A good contribution with the bat from Samit this morning.

For someone who some here feel isn't " good enough" he's making a pretty big contribution to the side with bat and ball.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Yes but we all have likes and dislikes with players. Cook seems to trust him with the ball more than Rashid and Moeen, which i think is worrying for Englands chances in this test. He's tidy enough but less likely to get wickets.

When you consider Malik has 6 wickets in the game and he's nothing more than a part-time offspinner then it shows how poor our spinners have been. I agree with Terry now with hindsight, Patel was a poor pick they should have gone with another seamer. Guess Stoke's injury make the attack look very unbalanced.

Could that be the end of Bell?

Under normal circumstances ... Yes. But who would replace him?

So I think he may survive..... and there is part of England's problem.... If Cook and Root don't score... who else will?
James Taylor, I assume Moeen will go back to 8, Hales will open unless Stokes misses South Africa then they maybe Woakes could move to 8 and Moeen 7

Could Bell's problem be too much cricket? Perhaps if he drops out of going to Sth Africa and has a complete break over the winter he may well come back fighting. I hope so.
LE - aka John
yes possibly burnout

Ian Bell has been my favourite player of the last ten years and, at times, world class. He's well out of sorts now, though, and his recent record doesn't merit a Test place. A few months off might well do him good.

For England, though, there isn't exactly a long line of batsmen waiting to take his place. There are a few who have been tried before and not convinced that they would be any better. Vince is often mentioned but I'm not sure he's good enough in red ball cricket. A question is why James Hildreth has never been given a go? He's easily the heaviest run scorer amongst current players who haven't played Test cricket (not all of them made at Taunton) and he went on several Lions tours. Maybe too old now but does anyone know what was deemed to be lacking in his game?
Normally as a Test player, Bell would have gone. But in a team where outside Cook and Root failure with the bat is around 90% certain ... how do you replace him? The total runs scored by positions 3 to 7 today was dreadful.... I wont even look at some of those averages across the series.....
(05-11-2015, 12:43 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Ian Bell has been my favourite player of the last ten years and, at times, world class. He's well out of sorts now, though, and his recent record doesn't merit a Test place. A few months off might well do him good.

For England, though, there isn't exactly a long line of batsmen waiting to take his place. There are a few who have been tried before and not convinced that they would be any better. Vince is often mentioned but I'm not sure he's good enough in red ball cricket. A question is why James Hildreth has never been given a go? He's easily the heaviest run scorer amongst current players who haven't played Test cricket (not all of them made at Taunton) and he went on several Lions tours. Maybe too old now but does anyone know what was deemed to be lacking in his game?

I think you may have answered that Grizzly. Seen too much as a flat track bully.  Taylor deserves a run really!  Its hard to judge players too harshly in these conditions because they are not used to them.  Too much cricket is played in early spring when the wickets are seamer friendly and spinners dont get a look in. Its no wonder few spinners are coming through. The scheduling is driving spinners out of our game.

Only Ian knows how he really feels but I suspect that the pressures of a decade of international cricket may have worn him down.
Our spinners averages E.R rates, S.R. rates are bad. Still early in his career but it seems when Moeen is on a track that spins he doesn't come up with the goods, only seems to do ok when thier is no expectation of him, so makes you wonder if he can do it when expected to
Yes I think he prefers wickets with bounce. He should have bowled more around the wicket and he could have got some lbws. Also no left handers in the Pakistan team.

There are no decent spinners in the County Championship, this is what should occupy Strauss's mind, not worrying about one day cricket. The way the Championship fixtures have been arranged means conditions suitable for the development of spinners do not exist together with too much limited overs cricket which means slow bowlers only learn to bowl defensively. First class cricket is about taking wickets and learning how to play in pressure situations, coping with ALL types of bowling, something our players have little experience of.
This interview from a few months back addresses the issues of spin bowling in England from one who knows from the inside:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
He may have a point in general but I can't see that being an issue with Moeen.

Regarding the dearth of spin bowling, it occurred to me that we no longer see the dual-purpose bowler who could bowl both seam and spin.  Tony Greig and Brian Close were both good examples of players who bowled seam but could switch to spin if the conditions favoured it.  Greig won a Test match in the West Indies using his slower style. Other examples in county cricket included left-armer Malcolm Nash (of Sobers' six sixes in an over fame) and Warwickshire's Ray Carter who bowled either fast-medium or off-spin as the conditions demanded. Sobers himself, of course, bowled left-arm quick, orthodox spin and back-of-the-hand spin - but he was a genius.
I'm not suggesting that James Anderson should suddenly become an off-spinner but that kind of versatility seems to have gone from the game (unless I've missed the current examples).   I think Keith Barker did bowl a few overs of spin in one game this year but it was a dead game and I don't think he was really bowling seriously - but you never know.
True, didn't Ben Stokes bowl a few overs of spin in this series unless my mind is playing tricks with me. I know somebody did! Yes Tony Greig was good in both aspects as was Sobers.