Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v Pakistan, In UAE
Yes poor test with an interesting conclusion. Can we blame the umpires for taking them off, I don't think so. If England had of kicked on a bit more yesterday then they have may have given themselves more time, but I think a draw was fair.

Is anyone really interested in this series?
Yes I am. Its a fascinating test this. England right back in it and we get to see how they play their leg spinner.

(23-10-2015, 10:38 AM)Paul Wrote: Yes  I am. Its a fascinating test this.  England right back in it and we get to see how they play their leg spinner.
Me too.  Really testing conditions and a strong Pakistan side make this series, as Paul says, fascinating.  Great pity that there's virtually no-one watching but safety first, always.

Bell is staring down the barrel again I'm afraid and Buttler needs to show something too.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
I think spin will become a major factor as the game moves on. England need to get ahead of Pakistan because we dont want to be chasing too many on the final day. Shah will be deadly. Butler does need runs. When you look at the England batting line-up, theres a lot of attacking batsmen but theres only two you can rely on Root and Cook. We need a keeper who can be relied upon to get tough runs down the order.

Congratulations to Moeen on 50 test wickets. Quicker to it than Swann. DRS helps but even so nobody would have expected it when he first bowled against Sri Lanka.

I now have very limited interest in England v Pakistan games as I do not trust anything I see. The events of the last few years have tarnished this series. A team does something amazing and I wonder ..... is the opposition under other off field pressures? Would I pay £ 20 to watch this if it was a home series - no. I suspect attendances for an England v Pakistan test in England would now be a very hard sell.

However, this match does look nicely poised..... but England do need a three figure lead under normal circumstances in this environment.

I'm afraid Bell's international career must be under real pressure? Our batting does seem to rely too much on Cook and Root at the moment.
It seems like a good Test match pitch which should, if it takes more spin as the match progresses, produce a close contest and a result.
If we are talking match-fixing, it would seem that (maybe) Chris Cairns was the go-to man.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yep spot fixing rather than match fixing in the last pakistan home series. Being as Pakistan have such a wonderful record in the UAE nobody can accuse them of match fixing now. Unless of course England were involved in the last series there which they lost 3-0!

Up to this point..... Not a good day for England......

Is this the future of test cricket... nice stadium... good pitch.... no fans.... little interest?
(24-10-2015, 11:19 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Up to this point..... Not a good day for England......

Is this the future of test cricket... nice stadium... good pitch.... no fans.... little interest?

At Edgbaston - nice stadium, (hopefully) good pitch, lots of fans, massive interest
(24-10-2015, 11:19 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Up to this point..... Not a good day for England......

Maybe if all test series were played on neutral grounds. England v Australia in China.

Good start for England, with Moeen taking two wickets.

Also, very good to see James Taylor and Samit Patel in the side.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Well, one for Moeen so far.
I agree about James Taylor but Samit a Test cricketer?  Not good enough as a batsman, not good enough as a bowler and slow in the field.
To be fair considering its Samit's first test in 3 years he bowled pretty well. The disapointment for me was Rashid. Apart from the 5 wicket spell he has been pretty poor. Moeen unlucky not to get 3 or 4. Samit might be better as alternative to Rashid really. He's a much better batsman and I think Rashid bowls too slowly to be effective in test cricket.

Anyway good day for England.

Moeen did have two wickets at the time I posted, however, the second was reversed by drs.

Samit did ok with the ball, remember its his first test for three years, and his presence in the side increases the options for Cook.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
On a a pitch taking a fair bit of spin, I don't think 2-83 hacks it, even on the first day.
The reasons Samit hasn't played a Test for three years are as stated in my earlier post.  He bowled an over to Misbah that started with two awful full tosses and went for (I think) 18 runs.
I may be wrong but I suspect that Pakistan have posted what will be proved to be a pretty good total.
As for Moeen having two wickets when Mugabe previously posted except that he didn't, that's in the same category as saying that if my aunt had b***s she'd be my uncle.
As anyone who understands the process knows, when DRS is used to reverse the on fields umpires decision, there is a period of time when the batsman is " out", before the drs reverses the decision, or indeed vice versa!
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(01-11-2015, 07:31 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: As anyone who understands the process knows, when DRS is used to reverse the on fields umpires decision, there is a period of time when the batsman is " out", before the drs reverses the decision, or indeed vice versa!

So your aunt really was your uncle - but only temporarily.
(01-11-2015, 05:56 PM)Terry Wrote: On a a pitch taking a fair bit of spin, I don't think 2-83 hacks it, even on the first day.
The reasons Samit hasn't played a Test for three years are as stated in my earlier post.  He bowled an over to Misbah that started with two awful full tosses and went for (I think) 18 runs.
I may be wrong but I suspect that Pakistan have posted what will be proved to be a pretty good total.
As for Moeen having two wickets when Mugabe previously posted except that he didn't, that's in the same category as saying that if my aunt had b***s she'd be my uncle.

He is in the side as the third spinner to be fair. Whether Cook gave him too many over is another question, but Rashid bowls more tosh to be fair, maybe Moeen could have been given a longer spell in the morning when he was getting considerable spin but I think the ball turning away from the right hander is prob more dangerous and the right handers do tend to get after Moeen. I'm no fan of Samit but I always thought he could bat, I just never thought he was committed enough to get in the right shape to be picked for England.

Michael Vaughan, who does know a bit about the game, commented that Samit did a good job.
There are GOOD Mugabe's