Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
I see one criteria is to be able to Multi task -- so the job's going to a woman then!
LE - aka John
This is not so much about the future of county cricket as the future of cricket as a whole in this country:
http://www.thecricketer.com/default.aspx...icid=43773
Some of the statistics in the article are really interesting:
"There are 3m South Asians in Britain. A third want to play/engage with cricket every day."
"Britain’s South Asians represent only five per cent of the population, yet they account for 18 per cent of the £685m spent on cricket every year."
"In the UK 30 per cent of recreational cricket is played by South Asians. If you add backstreets, tape-ball and so on, it’s nearer 40 per cent."
It's good to read that: "What Yorkshire, Essex and Warwickshire are doing now for community cricket, South Asian cricket, is phenomenal."
By the way, when I read the headline, I thought that Jeetan had been ennobled. 
Not yet, but maybe soon!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
County Cricket is generally based on the public school system... at Lords last year... once again the MCC spirit of cricket winners for under 18s all walked out onto the pitch.... 95 percent were from Public schools. Nothing wrong with public schools... but that does seem to be some counties blue print.... if you are from a working class (british or ethnical) background, you stand little chance.
(26-12-2017, 12:59 PM)Warleybear Wrote: County Cricket is generally based on the public school system... at Lords last year...  once again the MCC spirit of cricket winners for under 18s all walked out onto the pitch.... 95 percent were from Public schools.  Nothing wrong with public schools... but that does seem to be some counties blue print.... if you are from a working class (british or ethnical) background, you stand little chance.

And it's not helped by state schools not including cricket in the curriculum.
LE - aka John
Indeed LE.... but mass uncontrolled unskilled migration has put pressures on state education, health, houseing and transport.
Hi guys!
After many long nights trying to stay up to watch the ashes and failing due to sleep & school, I have wrote a blog post about The Ashes but decided to focus on the positives!
http://emsviewfromthepavilion.blogspot.c...-down.html
Really appreciate it if you could give it a read. 
only 86 days till county championship returns!!
Very sensible commentary Emily, you know your stuff although you won't find many on this forum with a good word to say about Michael Vaughan! (We'll let you off since you at least spelled his Christian name wrong.)

I'll be interested to see how Malan develops. Stoneman and Vince are decent county players but will never be any more than that. Maybe Malan will make the step up. I hope so.
(12-01-2018, 10:43 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Very sensible commentary Emily, you know your stuff although you won't find many on this forum with a good word to say about Michael Vaughan! (We'll let you off since you at least spelled his Christian name wrong.)

I'll be interested to see how Malan develops. Stoneman and Vince are decent county players but will never be any more than that. Maybe Malan will make the step up. I hope so.

I do like him! For this series only though...bring back the sky pundits!
But this means I have been spelling it wrong everytime I spell Michael...oops! Will change that!
Thank you x
Re:Michael Vaughan,normally talks sense but spoke nonsense when he suggested county cricket should be played in the middle east, as if the game isn't inaccessible enough for proper cricket lovers, he's1of the reasons I've been driven away from the game
(12-01-2018, 11:02 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Re:Michael Vaughan,normally talks sense but spoke nonsense when he suggested county cricket should be played in the middle east, as if the game isn't inaccessible enough for proper cricket lovers, he's1of the reasons I've been driven away from the game

Oh yeah I totally didn't agree with that!
Wont be reducing it by any more games that cant go see because cant get to them!
Em are you going to do a blog for the more successful England ashes side?
I haven't seen the article because it is behind a paywall, but The Times is reporting that some counties favour a three-conference County Championship of six teams each with end of season play offs.

It sounds far-fetched but I suppose it is their way of trying to shoe-horn more T20 into the calendar.

As I recall the unlamented Lord McLaurin proposed something similar 20 years ago. The counties opted for two divisions instead.
keep it as it is in my opinion
It's not a totally silly idea. The argument is that by having three conferences of six teams with play-offs to decide who is champion county it would keep all the counties interested until pretty late in the season. There is some logic there but I'm not daft enough to believe that is the real reason the idea is being put forward. More likely it is another wheeze to allow County Cricket Clubs to avoid the inconvenience of having to play any actual cricket.
There would be just five home games a year for most counties which isn't going to have people rushing to renew their memberships. Even so, a bit of imagination with scheduling could be a good thing. Suppose Conference A plays Sunday to Wednesday; B plays Tuesday to Friday; and C plays Thursday to Sunday. Then those who, like me, don't mind travelling a bit to find a game of cricket could see play on any day of the week. Mind you, if those days are in March and October, I might not want to go anyway.
(17-01-2018, 02:13 PM)rednalbear Wrote: keep it as it is in my opinion

So you're happy with the cock - eyed10teams playing 14 games?
(17-01-2018, 09:41 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: It's not a totally silly idea. The argument is that by having three conferences of six teams with play-offs to decide who is champion county it would keep all the counties interested until pretty late in the season. There is some logic there but I'm not daft enough to believe that is the real reason the idea is being put forward. More likely it is another wheeze to allow County Cricket Clubs to avoid the inconvenience of having to play any actual cricket.
There would be just five home games a year for most counties which isn't going to have people rushing to renew their memberships. Even so, a bit of imagination with scheduling could be a good thing. Suppose Conference A plays Sunday to Wednesday; B plays Tuesday to Friday; and C plays Thursday to Sunday. Then those who, like me, don't mind travelling a bit to find a game of cricket could see play on any day of the week. Mind you, if those days are in March and October, I might not want to go anyway.
That schedule would be making the  championship eeasily accessible for cricket fans, not something the ecb are keen on, after all more people would attend and they wouldn't want that!!
It may not be perfect but it's better than a conference system. so yes Simon i am happy to keep the current format.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/count...7dd84cd0d7

This article seems to be accessible. It doesn't seem as bad an idea as it first appeared. So counties would play 15 games not 14. Worth a discussion anyway.
(18-01-2018, 12:42 PM)rednalbear Wrote: It may not be perfect but it's better than a conference system. so yes Simon i am happy to keep the current format.

What was wrong with the format of 2 years ago?
(18-01-2018, 04:19 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(18-01-2018, 12:42 PM)rednalbear Wrote: It may not be perfect but it's better than a conference system. so yes Simon i am happy to keep the current format.

What was wrong with the format of 2 years ago?

Half the teams had nothing to play for by mid-way through the season.
Proud to be a Bear