Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
The reason why they stopped playing one-day games between a CC game is because of all the dodgy 'Game trading' that went on when both sides had a vested interest in winning one of the games but not the other e.g the 1991 Lancs v Essex 'trade-off' when Essex purposely scored slow in the Sunday game to allow Lancs to chase a small total and in exchange on the Monday, Lancs gave Essex a target that the sceptical Times jouno said was "Like a Christmas hamper for the starving". Don Topley went into it in greater detail in his book.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Warleybear
Can anyone, especially at the ECB, explain to me why the final round of CC games is played during the working and school week when it could easily have started on Saturday or, is it like WB says, modern cricketers prefer to be with wives girlfriends or both at weekends.

I am with PB absolutely regarding the Hundred - it will almost certainly be an attendance flop followed by a TV flop if viewing figures are not high enough.
LE - aka John
Travel day + rest day after the last round finished on Friday. Agree though, I personally feel there should be more of an effort to maximise weekend and bank holiday dates in the calendar and to spread the fixtures geographically so Warks/Worcs , Surrey/Middx, Derby/Notts are at home alternate weekends etc

Sky sports scheduling probably plays a part as weekends are already choc full of sports the working week less so

Then there is the issue of setting aside weekends for 2 teams in a Final (and lately 4 teams in semi finals) whilst all the other county sides sit twiddling their thumbs. In the 1990's they had full fixtures the Sunday following the Nat West Final and simply moved the 4 counties fixtures affected back to the Tuesday. Fairly sure they could do the same with the rounds of Championship matches that currently follow T20 Finals Day unless of course the TV companies do not want a few thousand cricket die-hards away from the television set. I cynically suspect there is some of this thinking there somewhere - the less live cricket there is to watch the higher the TV audience will be - not to mention, a blank weekend potentially makes it easier to sell Finals Day tickets well in advance.

Mind you there are people out there who much prefer the Monday to Thursday schedule for 4 day cricket as Saturday Sunday are days to visit relatives and shopping etc... This is players as well as spectators

Can there ever be a schedule that suits everybody?
It has been the same for years as regards lack of weekend cricket in the final 3 or 4 rounds of CC games. The last time I can remember the last CC game finishing at the weekend was about 2006 or 2007 when Lancs just fell short of a run chase and Sussex won the title having finished the day before. Not every person who watches cricket can be pleased with the scheduling of fixtures so there will be contrasting views but most people work Mon-Fri so to have cricket grounds empty at weekends just seems wrong on every level. It does seem funny though how there doesn't seem to be a problem with games being played the day before finals. Not so much over the last few years but I do recall teams having to make haste just after a CC game to get to T20 finals day and to Lords also.
(23-09-2018, 05:31 PM)paulbear Wrote: It has been the same for years as regards lack of weekend cricket in the final 3 or 4 rounds of CC games. The last time I can remember the last CC game finishing at the weekend was about 2006 or 2007 when Lancs just fell short of a run chase and Sussex won the title having finished the day before. Not every person who watches cricket can be pleased with the scheduling of fixtures so there will be contrasting views but most people work Mon-Fri so to have cricket grounds empty at weekends just seems wrong on every level. It does seem funny though how there doesn't seem to be a problem with games being played the day before finals. Not so much over the last few years but I do recall teams having to make haste just after a CC game to get to T20 finals day and to Lords also.
If I can also be cynical- the ecb make it increasingly inaccessible to attend red ball cricket, let's face it, if t20took place on a wet Monday morning in April no one would turn up
(23-09-2018, 05:17 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: Travel day + rest day after the last round finished on Friday. Agree though, I personally feel there should be more of an effort to maximise weekend and bank holiday dates in the calendar and to spread the fixtures geographically so Warks/Worcs , Surrey/Middx, Derby/Notts are at home alternate weekends etc

Sky sports scheduling probably plays a part as weekends are already choc full of sports the working week less so

Then there is the issue of setting aside weekends for 2 teams in a Final (and lately 4 teams in semi finals) whilst all the other county sides sit twiddling their thumbs. In the 1990's they had full fixtures the Sunday following the Nat West Final and simply moved the 4 counties fixtures affected back to the Tuesday. Fairly sure they could do the same with the rounds of Championship matches that currently follow T20 Finals Day unless of course the TV companies do not want a few thousand cricket die-hards away from the television set. I cynically suspect there is some of this thinking there somewhere - the less live cricket there is to watch the higher the TV audience will be - not to mention, a blank weekend potentially makes it easier to sell Finals Day tickets well in advance.

Mind you there are people out there who much prefer the Monday to Thursday schedule for 4 day cricket as Saturday Sunday are days to visit relatives and shopping etc... This is players as well as spectators

Rest Day ? They have only been working for a part of 4 days!
As for travel time - just how long does it take to get from Brighton but, as you say, if the fixtures were organised better teams could be playing more local teams. Simple really.
LE - aka John
(23-09-2018, 08:07 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(23-09-2018, 05:17 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: Travel day + rest day after the last round finished on Friday. Agree though, I personally feel there should be more of an effort to maximise weekend and bank holiday dates in the calendar and to spread the fixtures geographically so Warks/Worcs , Surrey/Middx, Derby/Notts are at home alternate weekends etc

Rest Day ? They have only been working for a part of 4 days!
As for travel time - just how long does it take to get from Brighton but, as you say, if the fixtures were organised better teams could be playing more local teams. Simple really.
The ecb will continue to disrespect and ridicule county cricket until they can finally get rid of it and replace it with, I don't know, a 10 ball a side game? What a dreadful thought that in years to come t20 will be the longest format of the game
I doubt first class cricket will ever be a thing of the past. We will get all sorts of rubbish dressed up as entertainment in the name of cricket to as they always say, "To get the youngsters interested" even if it's T20 or T10 or T5 but Test cricket is here to stay and we will need some form of first class cricket in every country to fuel it. It doesn't need to rely on crowds of 1000's to keep it going as we are told no one watches it anyway and it has been this way for years. Decade after decade we hear the old "One man and his dog" **** were the only ones watching a game of CC cricket and it will be the same probably forever more but I am convinced that despite idiots who run the game, first class cricket will remain.
I would have loved to be able to attend Trotty's last match - but as it is being played during the working week I have no way of getting to Birmingham to do so!!
Disturbing news about the escalating cost of The Hundred:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...esentation
At least it explains why Colin Graves didn't present the Championship Trophy to Surrey.  I think it was George in a tweet who said that this would have been like Margaret Thatcher presenting the coal miner of the year award.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
If George really did say that I would suggest he seeks a no-win-no-fee team quickly!!!!!!!!! But what a nonsense this Hundred is turning out to be. Can cricket really afford to spend this sort of money with no guarantee of a success? It's the sort of speculation companies have gone bust over.

It would be better spent promoting their existing formats of the game. An example is the T20 Finals Day. With Warks not being involved and not having Sky Sports I saw no promotion in the weeks leading up to the day and, yes, I was in the UK for the 2 weeks beforehand.
LE - aka John
An interesting initiative in London:
https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2018/10/...in-london/
I wondered if this was in anticipation of the massive increase in interest in the game that the ECB tells us that The Hundred will create.
Then I read that "the demand for cricket facilities across London has never been greater."
Maybe Mr Graves and others would argue that just the anticipation of the new competition has created the increased interest.
There could be other reasons, like people realising that cricket in its existing forms is a great sport to play and watch.
Update on The Hundred here and other matters relating to the future of county cricket here:
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/top_...rency.html
Outspoken words from Jonathan Liew:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cric...73501.html
(09-10-2018, 10:21 AM)Terry Wrote: Outspoken words from Jonathan Liew:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cric...73501.html

Nothing there that hasn't been said on this forum before but you have to admire his turn of phrase.

"the thrilling pyromania of scorching an entire sport to the ground" - wish I'd thought of that.

Hang your heads in shame Graves & Harrison.