Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
I think 50 over cricket is very well supported at international level so needs to be maintained at county level even if the vast majority of people can;t warm to 50 over domestic cricket anymore. T20 is for franchises. It only really has any merit at international level when world cup come on. 50 over is the premier one day competition and hopefully always will be.

I would be very happy if T20 were to curl up and die. I think it is the antithesis of all that is good about cricket - Grace, subtlety, patience. The problem is that it won't die. It makes too much money and greed will always win in the end. There is not room for three formats so, if first class cricket is to survive in a credible form and maybe even be played in the summer, 50 over cricket has to go.

I'm not happy about it but it seems the lesser of evils.
For me its symptomatic of all thats wrong with modern life.

have we created a monster when we started playing this form of the game in 2003 in this country? 20 overs a side is not new though is it midweek club cricket being played for decades
It is a very limited form of the game, that has none of the subtlety or need for a wide range of skills that the longer forms of the game require.

It appeals to the 'lowest common denominator' and those who are unwilling, or unable, to understand and appreciate something that takes time to develop.

The much used analogy is McDonalds against proper cooking.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(16-02-2016, 12:29 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: It appeals to the 'lowest common denominator' and those who are unwilling, or unable, to understand and appreciate something that takes time to develop.

Each to their own.... but in that sentence, I suspect there lies the problem for some lovers of the four day game. I do not hide from the fact that I love both the four day game and T20.... I have fallen out of love with domestic 50 over game having preferred 40 overs in the Northern hemisphere.

It could be suggested that Cricket would curl up and die without T20. The vast majority of gate receipts at Edgbaston for domestic cricket are from T20. Finals day also provides a valuable commercial input. Smaller counties totally rely on T20 - Indeed Leicestershire have has success in that tournament. Without T20 - would I go to cricket..... Probably not. T20 suits the time I have available with family and friends to attend cricket. It has added something to the game. Days at a championship game are a 'different' experience for me and enjoyable for different reasons.... but most people I know will not attend them.

One thing is for certain - a two division 18 county championship must be protected. Somehow T20 must be a vehicle to assist in that.... If not - well that is something I do fear......
Anybody who likes proper cricket will always find time to attend the4 day game,great posts from grizzly &tall bear
.... and hopefully may they long do so in numbers that will sustain the longer format of our wonderful game.
whats going on in the last 24 hours simon liking one of tgm's post and today saying great post. something fishy going on me thinks
Credit where it's due,when tall bear takes his bitter&twisted blue nose hat off,his posts are quite sensible
Yes Rednal, It's a worrying turn of events :-)
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Article from Scyld Berry:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...ation.html
He claims that counties are seeking major compensation for loss of T20 derbies. He also says that T20 Finals Day may be reduced to two games, though he doesn't spell out how that would work.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Finals day should be left alone.... its always packed.....

Perhaps they are getting ready for city franchises. ...
Well it maintains the ECB tradition - if something works then fix it
LE - aka John
It seems that there may be a growing mood for change:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Not good news. Comparing the English system to Australia is daft.
Proud to be a Bear
Probably a stupid thing to say but if say Birmingham Bears or whatever name it will be, this franchise deceides to pick the best of the warwickshire players, and worcester gloucester just as an example, and the other 7 franchise's or how many it is do the same which of course they will, will thier still be a 18 county t20 cup because we know last year attendences were good at the smaller counties, and it would seem they wouldn't want to change the present format. Just a thought because guessing there will be more overseas players coming over maybe as much as 3 or 4 per team so more home players to go around the counties to still have a 18 county t20 cup, also using 2ndx1 players. Thier you go told you it was probably a stupid thing to say but just putting a thought out thier
As I've said before - only the ECB could fix something that ain't broke.
LE - aka John
(27-02-2016, 09:20 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Probably a stupid thing to say but if say Birmingham Bears or whatever name it will be, this franchise deceides to pick the best of the warwickshire players, and worcester gloucester just as an example, and the other 7 franchise's or how many it is do the same which of course they will, will thier still be a 18 county t20 cup because we know last year attendences were good at the smaller counties, and it would seem they wouldn't want to change the present format. Just a thought because guessing there will be more overseas players coming over maybe as much as 3 or 4 per team so more home players to go around the counties to still have a 18 county t20 cup, also using 2ndx1 players. Thier you go told you it was probably a stupid thing to say but just putting a thought out thier

You're right,stupid thing to say but you've broken the record for the most incorrect spellings of the word their
thought you might say that simon