Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
You keep picking on Derbyshire,as I pointed out earlier they've been in the top flight more recently than Essex &Kent,you don't mention them merging
Honestly... I'm not picking on anyone... Those three clubs have struggled for a large part of this century in the four day game and are in close proximity to each other. No doubt other clubs could be reviewed.... But Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Northants stick out as needing restructuring to make them stronger.

Given Terry's post, I was (in my last post) suggesting a structure that would support cricket in that area whilst expanding it in others. Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Northants are fairly close to each other. Two of those counties hold a significant number of wooden spoons over the last few years.... Comments like "picking on counties" may not keep the game going for another century....... Soon there may be no choice reading those articles? Let's expand the game to new areas and strengthen areas that need tweaking. Perhaps Derbyshire could be the senior club .... Playing a couple of out ground games at New Road etc.? Expanding the game in the south west and towards the east would be great... Expanding the games support base and player base. If we stand still then perhaps Leics sadly may disappear anyway.
Khan seems to be making progress down at Grace Road.Permission to install floodlights has been granted and Elton John will be performing in the summer.
LE - aka John
(31-01-2016, 11:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Khan seems to be making progress down at Grace Road.Permission to install floodlights has been granted and Elton John will be performing in the summer.

Elton John - is he a wicket keeper?
(01-02-2016, 09:03 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:
(31-01-2016, 11:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Khan seems to be making progress down at Grace Road.Permission to install floodlights has been granted and Elton John will be performing in the summer.

Elton John - is he a wicket keeper?

I think he is likely to be bowling from the pavilion end.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Here we go again:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...otion.html
Bye Bye Worcestershire v Warwickshire

Bye Bye our biggest crowds of the season

I for one will miss cricket when they finally get rid of it and replace it with a T20 game once a fortnight
So what happens to the biggest domestic money spinner - the T20 Finals Day? Do the top 8 of Div 1 compete at quarter final stage ? I reckon the revenue this year just on ticket sales will be close to £2m plus the revenue from catering/drinks.

Much better to have 2 Conferences with the top 4 sides from each going to Quarter Finals - it would also retain the lucrative local derbies.

I would think quite a few counties will be reluctant to give up the certainty of local derbies - Lancs, Yorks, Middlesex, Surrey, Warks, Worcs Notts Derby Leics immediately come to mind.

Also the smaller counties "stuck" in Div 2 of CC will probably not like the idea of possibly missing out the chance of playing at bigger venues.

Crowds are up all over the country - so, if it aint broke................
LE - aka John
The bit that worried me was: "But if this latest restructuring fails to draw bigger crowds for the Natwest T20 Blast then the push for an eight or ten team city based competition will become stronger."
This makes me think that the ECB is setting up the counties to fail in order to increase the likelihood that they can impose a franchise competition in the near future.  After all, if a franchise tournament is what those at the top of the ECB want, why would they do anything to make this latest idea work?
I think, Terry, you have hit the proverbial nail right in the centre.
LE - aka John
Stupid idea promotion/religation i believe all counties should have the right to be able to win it keep it as it is but play it in a block. Next season the 50 over tournament played early season in a block with a final in July so England players can play in it leading up to the champions trophy, thats what Neil Snowball said to me at members nets day. At the Q&A a question was who is the least fit person in the squad to which Mark Adiar replied Ian Bell which was funny. A good day as usual well done to the club to keep doing this annual event always a good day
[-] The following 1 user Likes rednalbear's post:
Leicester Exile
There should be two - possibly three domestic competitions.....

Two division four day cricket played on a home and away basis. There should be 18 teams.... although there should perhaps be some changes to the structure of those counties.

There should be a T20 league competition (regional) with a knockout element at the end.

Possibly also there should be a fa cup of cricket .... Straight knockout that brings in the smaller sides and spreads the game around the country.

Fifty over domestic cricket should be scrapped.

I suspect that we will end up with a fudge that eventually leads to around 10 senior clubs playing with themselves in a city franchise .....If you know what I mean.....
Nonsense Warley,if you had attended members nets yesterday,you'd've found out50 over cricket 's here to stay at the behest of Strausst,the game's about him not you!
Nonsense Warley,if you had attended members nets yesterday,you'd've found out50 over cricket 's here to stay at the behest of Strausst,the game's about him not you!,further toRB's post,apparently the fittest player is tall bear 's mate Webb,see what you guys miss out on by snubbing these members events?!
So the game is about Strauss and not the paying public. Just about sums up cricket in 21st century
LE - aka John
It's all about Strauss& the e.c.b.members don't count,hence a2 game reduction in'proper' cricket next season!
I do think they just want 2 counties to fold, then everything will be much simpler. Leicester and Kent to drop to minor county status.

16 is an easy number to schedule, opens up a window in the season they seem to want, though how they will synchronise that with the Test and ODI series I'm not sure.

ECB make far more dosh from Tests than they ever will from T20. This is the major difference to India/Australia.

T20 will never be huge in England. It should be used, as originally intended, to enhance the wider game not replace it.
In the future what is the position concerning promotion and relegation between the divisions? Originally it was three promoted and three relegated then it was changed to two up and down. this season i understand there will be two relegated and one promoted. The fear factor of relegation will i believe lead to even more negative cricket, not losing will be the objective. Second division clubs will play two more Championship games than they do now i assume as well as all the one day cricket. Players say they think the current schedule is too much, adding two extra games is not going to be popular with them. Unless it is not an all play all competition it will have no credibility. The customers seem not to have been considered, i suggest the vast majority of county members prefer first class cricket. How many T20 games is too many? I know cricket is a business but eventually financial considerations have to be balanced against the wishes of the members who in many instances have been the life blood of the counties and seemingly have more interest in preserving the traditions and integrity of First class cricket for the long term than here today gone tomorrow administrators like Strauss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Paul
The powers that be have been told all this over and over again but don't seem to want to listen. I assume that Sky are calling the tune and are pushing for the most televisable schedule.

Reluctantly, I think Warley is right. Do the County Championship and T20 competitions properly and either forget 50 over cricket altogether or go back to a knockout format. Trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot will please nobody.
Fifty over cricket is still very important at the international level, therefore all the test countries have a domestic competition so their players can learn how to play that form of the game, which is a lot more challenging and requires a wider range of skills than a twenty over slog.

We need to maintain a 16 game first class competition, and have a meaningful 50 over competition. The twenty over slog game should be subsidary to the longer forms of the game, & fitted into any remaining space in the schedule.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!