Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
(25-11-2015, 03:33 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Not sure GO had his tail between his legs - more like the commie oppo was left with resorting to talking about the past 5 years rather than the next five years.

I like the idea in your third paragraph. We could allow all the fielders to wear a single glove - just need to think of a new name for this innovative game!!

Name for this innovative game? I'll give it some thought!

What's a 'Commie Oppo' - Sounds like someone might have hit a nerve?
(25-11-2015, 05:57 PM)Terry Wrote: I can't quite work out what kind of pitch I would want the groundsman to prepare if I knew the opposition had the choice of whether or not to bat first.  For sure, I wouldn't want a green pitch on which we might be put in and bowled about before lunch.  Nor would I want a perfect batting track on which the opposition might bat for a day and a half. Maybe a pitch with just a little bit in it for the bowlers early on, but not too much and with the prospect of some spin later on.  So the opposition would be in two minds as to whether to bat or bowl.  If that was the result, it wouldn't be too bad an innovation.  But I think that, with all these innovations/experiments, the law of unintended consequences comes in to play.  In other words, there are almost always outcomes (usually negative) that no-one foresaw.
Anyway, trying it for a season in Division Two wouldn't be the worst possible thing to happen to the game.

Spot on Terry - the Law of Unintended consequences would come in to play - Sometimes its better to lose the toss - I bet Nasser Hussain wished he'd have lost the toss against Australia in that Brisbane Ashes Test - Also not every green pitch suits the bowlers does it?

Cannot see the point in doing away with the toss - It's just another gimmick - Something for those bumbling idiots to talk about on TV and in the Press - Someone once said did they not "If it ain't broke don't fix it." - Mind you if you think its broke?
(25-11-2015, 03:33 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Not sure GO had his tail between his legs - more like the commie oppo was left with resorting to talking about the past 5 years rather than the next five years.

I like the idea in your third paragraph. We could allow all the fielders to wear a single glove - just need to think of a new name for this innovative game!!

Just thought of a name for this new game

GIDEON'S (sorry George's) FOLLY - If that's not appropriate what about BASEBALL - We could then export it to America, abolish the WORLD CUP and call it the WORLD SERIES - I am sure that all those 'WORKING PEOPLE OF BRITAIN' would turn up in their droves to watch it - Mind you they'd have to put down their LITTLE RED BOOK first eh?

Great Post - Keep up the good work - Very amusing - Kind regards.
Separate rules for div.2 disrespects the mug's league,Mugabe would call that malicious,he may feel so strongly about it enough to stop attending bears' fixtures
Get to Edgbaston late next season and the question we will all be asking won't be "Who won the toss?" anymore but rather "Was there a toss?"

Mind, if I see we are bowling there will be no need to ask.
Quite true, the ecb have this thing about producing better wickets for the spinners but a lot of its down to too many games being played in April. I think it would be a good if they gave the away teams the choice of batting or bowling in test cricket as it would stop this home advantage. The wickets they have produced in India for the current test series go too far in my opinion. Something needs to be done about it. But regarding county cricket, simple play more 4 day cricket in the summer. No need to take away the toss.

Currently clubs get fined if too many wickets fall on the first day due, in umpires' opinion, to a poorly prepared wicket. Why not extend that and fine clubs for preparing a wicket not suitable to meet demands of the four day game.It would also have to include penalty for preparing a flat wicket that sees the first innings not being completed by end of 4 full day's play.

There might not be a toss but we all know where the tossers are!
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Paul
(26-11-2015, 10:52 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Currently clubs get fined if too many wickets fall on the first day due, in umpires' opinion, to a poorly prepared wicket. Why not extend that and fine clubs for preparing a wicket not suitable to meet demands of the four day game.It would also have to include penalty for preparing a flat wicket that sees the first innings not being completed by end of 4 full day's play.

There might not be a toss but we all know where the tossers are!

There is already a penalty in place if pitches are not up to standard over 4 days but it appears that in recent years the home team only gets deducted the 8 penalty points if they win the game - If you remember The Bears were fined 8 such points against Worcestershire a few years ago (Vikram Solanki walking in to a short ball and being hit on the head)  in spite of the fact that the Umpires did not report the pitch as being 'poor' etc - Yet Nottinghamshire, who were reported, either last season or season before were not deducted 8 points BECAUSE THEY LOST THE GAME.

What's the point of having a penalty if it is not applied irrespective of the game's outcome.
I thought judgement was only taken according to what happened on day 1.
LE - aka John
No consistency,the wkt@Hove last year for the Bears fixture was shocking,Sussex won the game& rec'd no points deduction
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is another rule change....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34940416
(28-11-2015, 04:29 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is another  rule change....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34940416

Also heard the other evening that Umpires may also be required to wear Protective Headgear - One such umpire I believe has already ordered is Basball-style face guard.
The modernity of it all..... Wonder if it comes with a 'head cam'? :-o
(29-11-2015, 03:54 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The modernity of it all..... Wonder if it comes with a 'head cam'?  :-o

Every chance eh?
Chris Rogers gives his view on franchise cricket:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35395941

Interesting to read that "a £40m offer has been reportedly been made to the England & Wales Cricket Board to televise a restructured franchise competition from 2017 onwards."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Perhaps there is some merit in his argument as much as I have no love for the idea
LE - aka John
Did you all get the survey through the post from the club a couple of weeks ago that touches on some of these themes?

Interesting that the article shows that figures released by the club reveal that, in 2015, T20 cricket showed an increase in revenue for the Bears of 43 per cent and (I was amazed by this) 86 per cent in attendances at Edgbaston. The importance of T20 is clear.
It looks like Leicestershire's future is in the balance, though they have a good man in asim Khan as their Chief Executive:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...MP=OTC-RSS
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Good news for WB!
It's certainly not.

I do not want counties to collapse in an uncontrolled manor. I want the system to recognise that some counties continually struggle and perhaps should merge with near neighbours and new counties brought in (like Durham). Examples like Cornwall / Devon, Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambs would expand the first class game ... It's players and fan base. As for Durham, it wouldn't be easy at first... But it would be wise money spent to expand the game. My fear is that there will be a forced implosion for one or two counties that will leave their supporters (and future players) unrepresented by any structure. A combined (for example) Leics and Derbyshire may be better for the game and be more competitive.

Is a shame... But we need to think a bit wider to expand the geography of the game. A few planned changes now, although difficult for some, may allow the game to flurish. I am a great lover of the four day game, I understand my views on this are not popular..... But I don't want the other option..... A 'championship super league' based on a dozen or less counties that reduces the number of games and cricket to a geographic rump in this country like Rugby League.

There are so many exciting things that could be done to make the game flourish.... But to do so, needs some tweaking in some areas.