Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
(20-11-2015, 12:53 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Would the old M&B ground come in to the equation providing WCCC a place to play all CC cricket enabling the County Ground to become an entertainment centre called Edgbaston?

If Povey had remained in place I fear that was the plan.

Even his letterhead has Edgbaston on it rather than WCCC.
(20-11-2015, 12:45 PM)Jon Wrote:
(20-11-2015, 11:23 AM)DJL Wrote: Thanks for the update - Best wishes to all involved in Nuneaton cricket and Warwickshire Cricket North South east and West of Birmingham - BUT there is no chance whatsoever of Warwickshire CCC moving from Edgbaston at this time - What would be the point of Birmingham City Council buying 'Edgbaston Stadium' if cricket were not be played there? BCC are desparate at this time to bring international sport to the City - All part of the overall plan to encourage business and tourists to come in to the City etc etc. It ain't gonna happen is it? If WCCC were looking to sell the ground to the council, BCC would insist that as part of such an agreement that WCCC leaseback the ground for cricketing purposes.

2016 will be interesting - The current year's accounts (30 Sep 2015) will hold the key I think to any fundamental developments going forward.

We'll see. i agree with most of your analysis. I read Beyond the Boundary last night and you could definitely detect a code that Povey thought stormy clouds were gathering. he also made a reference to the fact the club would have had to move if redevelopment hadn't taken place.

On the whole I'd like to see the Club remain at Edgbaston but I would like to see an end to three distinct brands nonsense. ideally I think they should be playing two championship matches around the county. One in the north and one in the south.

HOWEVER I think Birmingham Council's interest is only in retaining international matches and T20 has probably interested them too.

If the loan cannot be repaid at some point and a radical solution has to be found the logic would suggest moving championship matches to a ground purposely built for that and WCCC scaling down what it owns and what it owes.

Any new body owning Edgbaston will only be interested in international fixtures, T20 and off field income and events.

Unfortunately all this is the logical conclusion of the three brand strategy.

Definitely storm clouds brewing - Take Povey's comment about re-locating with a pinch of salt - It was used as a negotiating ploy to get money out of Birmingham City Council and other interested investors - Has no basis in fact or fantasy.

Like you I see beyond all this brand nonsense - However there is very little chance of playing 4-day cricket around the county - Too costly unless all costs are covered by major sponsorship - Remember the ill-fated attempts to play at Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago?

Totally agree with your comments re Birmingham City Council BUT there is very little likely-hood of their being either the will or the where-with-all (Cash that it is) to create a ground elsewhere - Even if it did it would be located in and around Birmingham that's for sure. 

Mind you be interested to have a breakdown by geographical location (and age) of current membership - If say the majority of members came from outside Birmingham then re-locating might have some merit? Perhaps the Club should ask the full membership where they would prefer to be located - Birmingham or elsewhere - Be interested in the answer eh?

As prior stated - 2016 is going to be an interesting year!
The Stratford stuff is a bit if a myth - done to death on here - but the last year a game was played there it was heavily affected by rain and in any case it was underwritten by Warwickshire County Council.

In the days that Griff and Coton hosted a county match every year they used to publish each championships games attendance in the yearbook. The Nuneaton game was always the highest attended of any home championship matches including all those at Edgbaston. There would be 3000 or so there each day.

I am not its biggest fan but it is crazy a city the size of Coventry does not host a championship match each year.

I would expect Rugby School could host first class matches with ease.

if the Club were serious about expanding membership they would reintroduce country membership so that those who lived some distance away from Edgbaston were not penalised and they would take matches around the county and use the opportunity to heavily market memberships at the grounds and in the local press.

I don't think Povey cared less about 4 day cricket and I'm sure the long term plan was to move matches gradually to Portland Road without frightening the horse (i.e. members)
(20-11-2015, 01:47 PM)Jon Wrote: The Stratford stuff is a bit if a myth - done to death on here - but the last year a game was played there it was heavily affected by rain and in any case it was underwritten by Warwickshire County Council.

In the days that Griff and Coton hosted a county match every year they used to publish each championships games attendance in the yearbook. The Nuneaton game was always the highest attended of any home championship matches including all those at Edgbaston. There would be 3000 or so there each day.

I am not its biggest fan but it is crazy a city the size of Coventry does not host a championship match each year.

I would expect Rugby School could host first class matches with ease.

if the Club were serious about expanding membership they would reintroduce country membership so that those who lived some distance away from Edgbaston were not penalised and they would take matches around the county and use the opportunity to heavily market memberships at the grounds and in the local press.

I don't think Povey cared less about 4 day cricket and I'm sure the long term plan was to move matches gradually to Portland Road without frightening the horse (i.e. members)

Totally agree that WCCC should re-introduce Country Membership - Perhaps they should even look at bringing back Patron Membership - It is obvious that we need to widen our Membership which has fallen dramatically in recent years - All such related initiatives should be seriously considered in my view - Need to encourage more youngsters to come and watch 4-day cricket - All suggestions welcome I would have thought?
The way Povey treated youngsters was very short-sighted. I remember one season Junior Bear membership doubled from £25 to £50 to include a £25 replica shirt
Living in Leicestershire I was fortunate to qualify for Senior Members price in the season they scrapped the Country membership otherwise I doubt I would have renewed given the added travel costs.
Cost of membership for those able to attend most games is still quite cheap. However, for those working or living some distance away it can become quite costly.
LE - aka John
This piece interesting especially given debt and who to:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...42569.html
(20-11-2015, 05:55 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The way Povey treated youngsters was very short-sighted. I remember one season Junior Bear membership doubled from £25 to £50 to include a £25 replica shirt
Living in Leicestershire I was fortunate to qualify for Senior Members price in the season they scrapped the Country membership otherwise I doubt I would have renewed given the added travel costs.
Cost of membership for those able to attend most games is still quite cheap. However, for those working or living some distance away it can become quite costly.

Yes I remember that... The impact was serious.

As for memberships.... If you work it's a struggle to get value. When memberships were relatively cheap, you could say to yourself that you were supporting the club or your hobby... That's less so these days.

I really do believe that the club should widen the membership by allowing you to choose a cc, t20 or 50 over membership rather than just issuing T20 season tickets that create second class citizens. It would also make things a bit cheaper for those who only like to watch four day cricket (or in my case four day and T20). Memberships should not just be for the more mature cricket supporter.

As for Northants...... Replace them with a couple of combined counties like Devon and Cornwall to expand the CC into new areas. Leics, Derbyshire and Northants are the 21st century regular four day failures.....
(20-11-2015, 11:12 AM)Warleybear Wrote: A slightly different subject...... Sussex seem to be struggling with their festivals due to a lack of interest. I always thought they were one of a small group of counties that did it well.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34788900

Festival cricket needs to be midweek and needs to be in peak summer months.

Both of these things have largely disappeared with Sunday starts (which happen to have suited me).
Scarborough seems to buck the trend with bigger attendances of late but that is down to Yorkshire doing so well of late.

I think we should go back to 3 day cricket, at least in the 2nd Division and have lots and lots of county fixtures in June and July so that festival cricket is more popular again
(20-11-2015, 06:53 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(20-11-2015, 05:55 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The way Povey treated youngsters was very short-sighted. I remember one season Junior Bear membership doubled from £25 to £50 to include a £25 replica shirt

As for memberships.... If you work it's a struggle to get value. When memberships were relatively cheap, you could say to yourself that you were supporting the club or your hobby... That's less so these days.

I really do believe that the club should widen the membership by allowing you to choose a cc, t20 or 50 over membership rather than just issuing T20 season tickets that create second class citizens. It would also make things a bit cheaper for those who only like to watch four day cricket (or in my case four day and T20). Memberships should not just be for the more mature cricket supporter.

As for Northants...... Replace them with a couple of combined counties like Devon and Cornwall to expand the CC into new areas. Leics, Derbyshire and Northants are the 21st century regular four day failures.....

Be very sad news if any First Class County Cricket Club was forced to close BUT the way Cricket stands at the moment if one goes others could follow (The Domino Effect) - Two Division Cricket hasn't really helped has it?
(20-11-2015, 07:14 PM)DJL Wrote:
(20-11-2015, 06:53 PM)Warleybear Wrote:

Be very sad news if any First Class County Cricket Club was forced to close BUT the way Cricket stands at the moment if one goes others could follow (The Domino Effect) - Two Division Cricket hasn't really helped has it?

Certainly won't help Warwickshire if a precedent is set with Northants given the relative similarities.
Good to see Notts beating the drum not just for their own county but for county cricket in general:
http://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2015/n...-2015.html
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
....and here are the figures from the ECB:
http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/23m-a...icket-2015
So can someone please tell the ECB "If it ain't broke etc"
LE - aka John
(23-11-2015, 01:15 PM)Terry Wrote: ....and here are the figures from the ECB:
http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/23m-a...icket-2015

Interesting article eh?

4-Day County Cricket Attendances up 18,000 across the country from 495,000 to 513,000 - Not bad considering little or no marketing by either the ECB or the Counties themselves - All right 18,000 doesn't sound much of an increase in the round BUT just think what might happen if those involved actually advertised/promoted the Competition?

All goes to prove what I believe we have known in Warwickshire for some time now that there is a strong case to be made for the continuation and development of the 4-Day game as apart from being a 'strong' pathway for first class cricketers to develop their skills in the long game prior to possible selection to play for their respective countries, if properly managed/marketed it will continue to be the cornerstone for all cricket in England & Wales.

We must not let certain well-placed 'short-sighted'  and 'self-interested'  individuals destroy our heritage.
What about this idea:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...story.html
The idea has some merit although I still don't see how that will make the game last 4 days and encourage more use of spinners.
LE - aka John
(24-11-2015, 11:29 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The idea has some merit although I still don't see how that will make the game last 4 days and encourage more use of spinners.

Another MICKEY MOUSE idea from 21st Century 'reformists' - It will have absolutley no impact on 4-day cricket whatsoever - Whilst I agree that the winning/losing of the test can have a major impact on matches (particularly early April and 10.30am starts in September) to my way of thinking that's all part and parcel of the game is it not?

I also cannot see how it will make the game last 4 days or encourage more use of spinners - Fiddling around with the toss will end up a bit like the Government's plan to bring in Tax Credits Cuts - BINNED unceremoniously by the Chancellor with his tail between his legs.

Whatever next - Take away the stumps so players cannot be bowled and they run around in a circle to make a home run? CRACKERS!!!
Not sure GO had his tail between his legs - more like the commie oppo was left with resorting to talking about the past 5 years rather than the next five years.

I like the idea in your third paragraph. We could allow all the fielders to wear a single glove - just need to think of a new name for this innovative game!!
LE - aka John
Yet another daft ecb idea to make cricket more pantomime & less sport,keep the Mickey mouse ideas for the t 20 slog& leave the 4day game as proper sport
I can't quite work out what kind of pitch I would want the groundsman to prepare if I knew the opposition had the choice of whether or not to bat first.  For sure, I wouldn't want a green pitch on which we might be put in and bowled about before lunch.  Nor would I want a perfect batting track on which the opposition might bat for a day and a half. Maybe a pitch with just a little bit in it for the bowlers early on, but not too much and with the prospect of some spin later on.  So the opposition would be in two minds as to whether to bat or bowl.  If that was the result, it wouldn't be too bad an innovation.  But I think that, with all these innovations/experiments, the law of unintended consequences comes in to play.  In other words, there are almost always outcomes (usually negative) that no-one foresaw.
Anyway, trying it for a season in Division Two wouldn't be the worst possible thing to happen to the game.