Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
tel est mon anglais

The constitution needs changing to reflect 2015 and not 1882.... The club is virtually a totally Birmingham based club, so we might as well reflect that rather than be a club based on public schools located around the shire that do not represent our wonderful new found multicultural enrichment. We need to do more to interact with this new society that was poured into our citys by the Nimbys who like to live in a 1930s version of Great Britain pretending that this beautiful change hasnt happened.....
Trouble is the new society does not want to interact and will those from eastern europe really want to watch cricket. Of those from other cricketing countries many live in other towns around the county - Rugby,Nuneaton,Leamington etc where the club could promote the sport.
LE - aka John
(26-10-2015, 08:20 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes I agree with you LE but when you think about it, all our home games are played in the Birmingham area so we really are more Birmingham bears than Warks Bears now unlike Gloucestershire who play at Bristol, Cheltenam and Gloucester. So really its only tradition that we keep the name Warwickshire.

Birmingham is part of Warwickshire.

And like it or not in this country its county cricket.

ECB rules actually prohibit changes of ownership anyway. I was told by the then highest level of ECB that they told Warwickshire not to change their name or damage their brand but they were powerless if it did not affect the ownership status.

The Calthorpes gave the land at Edgbaston to the people of Warwickshire for their representative team.
Now there's an idea. If Warks feel a need for a more local name for T20 how about Calthorpe Bears ........it's more local than Birmingham!!
LE - aka John
There's a survey on county cricket here:
http://www.alloutcricket.com/cricket/the...ty-cricket
Have your say!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(07-10-2015, 08:47 AM)Terry Wrote: Yorkshire report a dramatic increase in attendances across all formats:
Championship attendances up 47%
Royal London up 87%
T20 Blast up 19%
It will be interesting to see what other counties report.

Do you think that it might have something to do with the fact that they are winning things - Competing strongly on all fronts?
(27-10-2015, 11:18 AM)Warleybear Wrote: I think its time for us to be Birmingham for all forms of cricket. History is something you read in books about things that are no more or are in decline..... The game needs to evolve and represent the second city in a way that truly represents where its roots clearly now are. Counties like Gloucestershire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire no doubt believe that they have their own successful model to work to.... but the club, with two excellent facilities in the area and a diverse population of over a million, need to tap into the rich multi cultural resources they have neglected for a very long time. The future is bright if the new CEO has the vision to move forward rather than looking back over the decades at a structure that was running out of speed and loosing its way..

County Championship Cricket is what it says on the tin 'County' Cricket - Birmingham or 'Greater Birmingham' if the Politicians have their way funnily enough is not a county. Birmingham over the years has had parts of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire within its boundaries. Warwickshire County Cricket Club is Warwickshire County Cricket Club - Its nickamed The Bears because that's the heraldic image (logo) for Warwickshire (Bear & Ragged Staff).

In my view the only reason the T20 side was renamed The Birmingham Bears and the only reason why The City End is now described as The Birmingham End is because we are grossly in debt to Birmingham City Council. You or may not be aware but there are now 2 Birmingham City Councillors sitting on the WCCC General Committee - I wonder why that is? Is it to keep an eye on how the Club is run bearing in mind that we still owe BCC around £20 million? 

In business terms I have learnt over the years never to get into bed with politicians - They are too fickle - Governed by the changes tides of politics - I don't think Politicians can fully be trusted - Saying one thing publicly and doing the exact opposite in private is nothing new to politicians.

Let us not lose our identity however convenient it may appear - We are WRWICKSHIRE COUNTY CRICKET CLUB and WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY CRICKET CLUB is what we should remain going forward ------>
(27-10-2015, 11:18 AM)Warleybear Wrote: I think its time for us to be Birmingham for all forms of cricket. History is something you read in books about things that are no more or are in decline..... The game needs to evolve and represent the second city in a way that truly represents where its roots clearly now are. Counties like Gloucestershire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire no doubt believe that they have their own successful model to work to.... but the club, with two excellent facilities in the area and a diverse population of over a million, need to tap into the rich multi cultural resources they have neglected for a very long time. The future is bright if the new CEO has the vision to move forward rather than looking back over the decades at a structure that was running out of speed and loosing its way..

What makes you think Warwickshire County Cricket has a bright furture - We have debts that we cannot service at this time - That's why we seem to be working on having closer ties with Birmingham City Council. The Club would appear to be INSOLVENT (i.e We cannot meet all our debts on demand).

However, BCC will not force the Club out of business if it cannot repay both Capital & Interest - No they will enforce the terms of their agreement and become the proud owners of a Cricket Ground which I am sure will be renamed THE CITY OF BIRMINGHAM STADIUM. Now you and I am sure many others would not be too bothered by that as long as cricket continues to be played on that site BUT would it - Can BCC be trusted? I have my doubts.

County Cricket not just in Warwickshire is in a financial mess - Too many wrong decisions made by people who think they are professional but are actually more amateur than the amateurs. Colin Povey (and I don't include him in my prior statement) is retiring - Norman Gascoigne and the Committee can walk away leaving the way open for BCC and its Administrators to pick the bones of a corpse that was once Warwickshire County Cricket Club - ACTIONS & CONSEQUENCES.

What's the future of County Cricket - I wish I knew - Sadly not only don't I know the answer neither to The Powers That Be - County Cricket in this country is in a mess - Too many wrong decisions for the 'right' reasons? Too many 'non' decisions for apathetic reasons - Take Yorkshire CCC - Great Team - Great Coaches - Financial Mess (I believe?).
(12-11-2015, 12:10 PM)DJL Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 08:47 AM)Terry Wrote: Yorkshire report a dramatic increase in attendances across all formats:
Championship attendances up 47%
Royal London up 87%
T20 Blast up 19%
It will be interesting to see what other counties report.

Do you think that it might have something to do with the fact that they are winning things - Competing strongly on all fronts?

Maybe, though they were bottom but one in their T20 Group.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(01-11-2015, 03:29 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The constitution needs changing to reflect 2015 and not 1882.... The club is virtually a totally Birmingham based club, so we might as well reflect that rather than be a club based on public schools located around the shire that do not represent our wonderful new found multicultural enrichment. We need to do more to interact with this new society that was poured into our citys by the Nimbys who like to live in a 1930s version of Great Britain pretending that this beautiful change hasnt happened.....

Sorry to sound as if I am on my soap box but Warwickshire Cricket is not all about BIRMINGHAM is it?

Yes Warwickshire County Cricket Club's headquarters are based in Edgbaston, Birmingham - Yes Birmingham is a major cricket force within Warwickshire Cricket BUT Birmingham ain't the be all and end all in this respect. In light of the work I do with the Warwickshire Cricket Board and various other cricket organisations including the much missed Birmingham Cricket Partnership I can assure you that Warwickshire County Cricket Club is not only a special place to play cricket but is a magnificent PR/Marketing tool with regards to supporting, sustaining and developing cricket within the area, particularly youth and disability cricket. 

The reason why Public Schools still play cricket is because they have the werewithall to do so - They don't have to rely on Birmingham City  or other Local Councils do they - They self finance? Politics and Sport don't exactly go hand in glove do they? Birmingham City Council haven't exactly got a great track record with sport (particularly cricket) within this City/Area have they - Unless of course its Athletics or Football - and even then it ain't good. Which 'idiot(s)' decided to drop a Cabinet Member for Sport role in 2012 (The Year of The UK Olympics)? Which 'idiot(s)' allowed sports grounds and school playing fields to be sold off for building land subsequently reducing the amount of Cricket played in Birmingham (particular at School) - particularly those from the Inner City? Which 'idiot(s)' refused (though I think that has changed somewhat now) refused to invest money in to Birmingham Parks League Cricket?

Nobody is a prouder BRUMMIE than me (born within the sounds of Summer Lane) - Nobody is more pro Birmingham than me BUT you have to look at the wider picture - We mustn't wear blinkers and think that its all about Birmingham, it aint - We have to remember all the hard work put in by our friends in Coventry - Stratford - Leamington - Solihull - Bedworth - Kenilworth - Sutton Coldfield et al. We want to widen the scope for cricket to be played in this area - That takes foresight, planning, hardwork and CASH,  bundles of CASH. If we decide that Warwickshire Cricket is all about Birmingham apart from being extremely shortsighted, in my opinion, it would spell the beginning of the end to County Cricket - If you want that so be it - BUT as prior stated BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!
Agree with every word although wish you had included Nuneaton.

I don't think anybody seriously wants to change the identity of a team they support. even Warley is on a wind up i think.

Obviously the geographical area of the traditional county of Warwickshire is fixed.

I hope one of Neil Snowball's first actions as CEO will be to rename the 20/20 side back to its proper name and to rename the ground as the County Ground, Edgbaston.
Jon - excellent idea - T20 side called Warwickshire Bears and the ground to be called County Ground, Edgbaston. Campaign needed.
LE - aka John
(12-11-2015, 04:42 PM)Jon Wrote: Agree with every word although wish you had included Nuneaton.

I don't think anybody seriously wants to change the identity of a team they support. even Warley is on a wind up i think.

Obviously the geographical area of the traditional county of Warwickshire is fixed.

I hope one of Neil Snowball's first actions as CEO will be to rename the 20/20 side back to its proper name and to rename the ground as the County Ground, Edgbaston.

Apologies for omitting Nuneaton - Not sure Warley is on a wind up though - Its a growing view by certain supporters - I heard many guys flag that up during last season.

Cannot see the T20 side being changed from Birmingham Bears - Its an appeasement policy - A sop to the Club's Masters = Birmingham City Council - Whilst we cannot repay or continue to have difficulty in repaying the loan capital and interest then it won't change. The old saying is still very true today is it not - "He Who Pays The Piper Calls The Tune" - Sadly we cannot afford to repay The Piper hence the name change.

How is cricket in Nuneaton going by the way - Any chance of an update - Be good to hear - It might open Warley's eyes eh?
(13-11-2015, 01:23 PM)DJL Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 04:42 PM)Jon Wrote: Agree with every word although wish you had included Nuneaton.

Apologies for omitting Nuneaton - Not sure Warley is on a wind up though - Its a growing view by certain supporters - I heard many guys flag that up during last season.

Cannot see the T20 side being changed from Birmingham Bears - Its an appeasement policy - A sop to the Club's Masters = Birmingham City Council - Whilst we cannot repay or continue to have difficulty in repaying the loan capital and interest then it won't change. The old saying is still very true today is it not - "He Who Pays The Piper Calls The Tune" - Sadly we cannot afford to repay The Piper hence the name change.

How is cricket in Nuneaton going by the way - Any chance of an update - Be good to hear - It might open Warley's eyes eh?

Cricket in Nuneaton still strong. Nuneaton is one of the oldest clubs in the country and puts out five sides on a Saturday. Unfortunately Griff and Coton are not what they were.

I think the only people who want to change the name of WCCC are people who are not really from Warwickshire and should be supporting a different side. I know the ECB didn't want Warwickshire to change names for T20

In hindsight the best thing for the club might have been to build a new ground near Coventry and sold Edgbaston to Birmingham Council. That way the priority would have been the cricket club - as it should be - rather than the ground
A slightly different subject...... Sussex seem to be struggling with their festivals due to a lack of interest. I always thought they were one of a small group of counties that did it well.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34788900
(13-11-2015, 09:30 PM)Jon Wrote:
(13-11-2015, 01:23 PM)DJL Wrote:

Cricket  in Nuneaton still strong. Nuneaton is one of the oldest clubs in the country and puts out five sides on a Saturday. Unfortunately Griff and Coton are not what they were.

I think the only people who want to change the name of WCCC are people who are not really from Warwickshire and should be supporting a different side. I know the ECB didn't want Warwickshire to change names for T20

In hindsight the best thing for the club might have been to build a new ground near Coventry and sold Edgbaston to Birmingham Council. That way the priority would have been the cricket club - as it should be - rather than the ground

Thanks for the update - Best wishes to all involved in Nuneaton cricket and Warwickshire Cricket North South east and West of Birmingham - BUT there is no chance whatsoever of Warwickshire CCC moving from Edgbaston at this time - What would be the point of Birmingham City Council buying 'Edgbaston Stadium' if cricket were not be played there? BCC are desparate at this time to bring international sport to the City - All part of the overall plan to encourage business and tourists to come in to the City etc etc. It ain't gonna happen is it? If WCCC were looking to sell the ground to the council, BCC would insist that as part of such an agreement that WCCC leaseback the ground for cricketing purposes.

2016 will be interesting - The current year's accounts (30 Sep 2015) will hold the key I think to any fundamental developments going forward.
(20-11-2015, 11:12 AM)Warleybear Wrote: A slightly different subject...... Sussex seem to be struggling with their festivals due to a lack of interest. I always thought they were one of a small group of counties that did it well.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34788900

They did didn't they - What do you think's gone wrong? Is it down to the fact that the County Cricket Club has struggled recently (Also Chief Coach/Director of Cricket, Mark Robinson has left to become England Women's Cricket Coach) and locals seem to be disenchanted - Too much mickey mouse cricket maybe?
(20-11-2015, 11:23 AM)DJL Wrote: Thanks for the update - Best wishes to all involved in Nuneaton cricket and Warwickshire Cricket North South east and West of Birmingham - BUT there is no chance whatsoever of Warwickshire CCC moving from Edgbaston at this time - What would be the point of Birmingham City Council buying 'Edgbaston Stadium' if cricket were not be played there? BCC are desparate at this time to bring international sport to the City - All part of the overall plan to encourage business and tourists to come in to the City etc etc. It ain't gonna happen is it? If WCCC were looking to sell the ground to the council, BCC would insist that as part of such an agreement that WCCC leaseback the ground for cricketing purposes.

2016 will be interesting - The current year's accounts (30 Sep 2015) will hold the key I think to any fundamental developments going forward.

We'll see. i agree with most of your analysis. I read Beyond the Boundary last night and you could definitely detect a code that Povey thought stormy clouds were gathering. he also made a reference to the fact the club would have had to move if redevelopment hadn't taken place.

On the whole I'd like to see the Club remain at Edgbaston but I would like to see an end to three distinct brands nonsense. ideally I think they should be playing two championship matches around the county. One in the north and one in the south.

HOWEVER I think Birmingham Council's interest is only in retaining international matches and T20 has probably interested them too.

If the loan cannot be repaid at some point and a radical solution has to be found the logic would suggest moving championship matches to a ground purposely built for that and WCCC scaling down what it owns and what it owes.

Any new body owning Edgbaston will only be interested in international fixtures, T20 and off field income and events.

Unfortunately all this is the logical conclusion of the three brand strategy.
Would the old M&B ground come in to the equation providing WCCC a place to play all CC cricket enabling the County Ground to become an entertainment centre called Edgbaston?
LE - aka John