Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
Is his middle name Teflon?
LE - aka John
I just want to test Terry's theory about putting things in capitals:

COLIN GRAVES IS NOT DODGY.

Do you think that worked?
(27-03-2018, 03:49 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I just want to test Terry's theory about putting things in capitals:

Ah, yes, that's changed my opinion entirely!
Reading George's article, it reminded me of the thriller serials of my youth where, at the end of one episode, the hero would be tied up and gagged with the teeth of a chainsaw steadily approaching him and with a flame burning towards a stick of dynamite.  Then the next week's episode would begin with the words: "With one bound, he was free!"
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(27-03-2018, 04:11 PM)Terry Wrote:
(27-03-2018, 03:49 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I just want to test Terry's theory about putting things in capitals:

Reading George's article, it reminded me of the thriller serials of my youth where, at the end of one episode, the hero would be tied up and gagged with the teeth of a chainsaw steadily approaching him and with a flame burning towards a stick of dynamite.  Then the next week's episode would begin with the words: "With one bound, he was free!"

But with another bound he was back in trouble  - maybe?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...esignation
(28-03-2018, 05:06 PM)Reabank Wrote:
(27-03-2018, 04:11 PM)Terry Wrote:

But with another bound he was back in trouble  - maybe?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...esignation

Yes, could be:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...an-payment
May be the Teflon is peeling off!!!
LE - aka John
Whoever puts these things together at ESPN clearly has a touch with the irony. When I viewed that last article it had a baseball video embedded in it.
From the Surrey Supporters twitter account: "Cannot believe the ECB are suing George Dobell, the best journalist covering the county game. It's tough on George, but he's obviously rattled them by reporting things accurately. Maybe this is the last knockings of the regime?"

Surely not?
Charles Sale in t he Daily Mail says:
"The beleaguered ECB, who have lost two directors in the past month, have now started legal action against one of their foremost critics.
ESPN Cricinfo's respected, award-winning writer George Dobell is being sued for his attacks on chairman Colin Graves' regime — with ECB lawyers Onside Law threatening a defamation case via an initial letter of claim.
Surrey's Richard Thompson and Somerset's Andy Nash both quit the board in protest at the way Graves was running the organisation.
Ironically, ESPN are owned by Disney, who could soon end up controlling Sky, who effectively bankroll the ECB through TV rights. The last high-profile ECB legal fight between former chairman Giles Clarke and sports management company IMG cost cricket's ruling body a huge amount in legal fees before an out-of-court settlement."
With each day that goes by the ECB (Colin Graves) are seeming less like the governing body of a sport and more like a dictator clinging desperately to the last strands of power. ALL THOSE WHO SPEAK OUT OF LINE MUST PAY THE PRICE.
Proud to be a Bear
What a sorry mess men's cricket has got itself into!!
(30-03-2018, 06:56 AM)narsty simon Wrote: What a sorry mess men's cricket has got itself into!!

I've written to our CEO this morning asking whether he supports the ECB in this matter and if so on what grounds.

If this plays out in Graves and the ECB's favour then that will be the end for me. I'll find something else to do in the summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like DaveC's post:
Mad Brummie, narsty simon
(30-03-2018, 09:55 AM)DaveC Wrote:
(30-03-2018, 06:56 AM)narsty simon Wrote: What a sorry mess men's cricket has got itself into!!

I've written to our CEO this morning asking whether he supports the ECB in this matter and if so on what grounds.

If this plays out in Graves and the ECB's favour then that will be the end for me. I'll find something else to do in the summer.
Agree with all the comments, a shameful action to take against a fine journalist who has always bent over backwards to find the good in cricketers and cricket administrators.  And a good friend of the club, I'm going to steal Dave's excellent idea and write to Warwickshire and ask them to exert any influence they have at the ECB.
I hope that George is getting full support from his employers, ESPN (and ultimately Disney).
There is a big difference between taking on a lone journalist and going head-to-head with the Mouse House.
I can't believe I am reading this. GD being sued for reporting facts. There was me thinking Graves middle name is Teflon - I think it is more likely to be Putin.

Other than writing to our CEO is there anything further we can do in support of the best cricket reporter in the UK
LE - aka John
(30-03-2018, 10:36 AM)Terry Wrote: I hope that George is getting full support from his employers, ESPN (and ultimately Disney).
There is a big difference between taking on a lone journalist and going head-to-head with the Mouse House.
My understanding is cricinfo tries to stay independent of ESPN and cricinfo must value George.  But if it goes up the line I can't help thinking someone will say, why do we run articles on the ECB that get us sued (in the UK a bad place to be sued for libel) when a piece on Virat Kohli's favourite colour gets far more readers?
My bit on Glamorgan and their and their 2017 accounts is here
RB
(30-03-2018, 11:42 AM)Reabank Wrote:
(30-03-2018, 10:36 AM)Terry Wrote: I hope that George is getting full support from his employers, ESPN (and ultimately Disney).
My understanding is cricinfo tries to stay independent of ESPN and cricinfo must value George.  But if it goes up the line I can't help thinking someone will say, why do we run articles on the ECB that get us sued (in the UK a bad place to be sued for libel) when a piece on Virat Kohli's favourite colour gets far more readers?
My bit on Glamorgan and their and their 2017 accounts is here
RB

That's an interesting take on the Glamorgan situation. Message from the ECB: Mr Graves will see you in court!

It would obviously be fascinaing to read the "letter of claim" from the ECB's lawyers.  What exactly is the defamation that they are claiming? Is it specifically Graves who has allegedly been defamed or the the ECB as a body?
(25-03-2018, 11:02 PM)Terry Wrote: This should be an interesting meeting at Edgbaston on April 10th:
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s...-1-9082217
Question is - will the ECB listen to whatever comes out of it?

I think there is an appetite for a conference system and it is one I have advocated for a few years to replace promotion and relegation which is a sham now with an unbalanced fixture list in Div 2. Just switch the conferences each year so counties get to play other counties over a course of three years.

2020 North South Middle

2021 East West Middle

2022 Core Periphery London

Lancs would play Yorkshire every year, ditto Surrey Middx, Warks Worcs and other pairs of sides but the idea would be to circulate the counties in a different set of conferences each year so for example Warks would get to play at Canterbury once in while and not have to play Derbyshire every single year

At the end of each regular season there'd be triangular play offs for all the sides. The top two sides in each of the three divisions would play off for the County Championship.

5 home
5 away

break for T20 circus

5 play off games at the end of the season

= 15 proper games a season
(30-03-2018, 09:55 AM)DaveC Wrote:

My letter FWIW:

Dear Mr Snowball

I read with great dismay today that the ECB and Colin Graves have begun defamation proceedings against ESPNCricinfo journalist George Dobell. This follows a number of recent investigative pieces written by him which have been critical of Mr Graves’ recent behaviour and the questionable governance of the game by the organisation he heads.

I consider that in this, as in much of his journalism, George Dobell has tried to shine a light on this subject. He is, in my opinion, echoing the concerns many county supporters and members have over the promotion of an agenda that seems to favour solutions that are of great detriment to the county game we are desperately trying to remain loyal to.

George Dobell possesses a degree of integrity that many of your peers would do well to emulate. It is sad that amongst the current mediocre crop of administrators and journalists in English cricket, he is one of the few that is not prepared to let potentially disastrous decision making go unchallenged.

I am extremely concerned about these developments and would like to ask what your opinion is of the course of action chosen by Mr Graves and the ECB in this matter. If you are going to give him your support, then perhaps you could explain on what grounds you have come to that conclusion?

I appreciate, as a member, and under our newly amended constitution, I have little or no influence on how the club approaches these matters. However, the one sanction I have is to withdraw my membership. If the ECB choose to pursue this matter instead of addressing the concerns raised by George’s excellent writing it is one that, sadly, I intend to use.

Yours sincerely,

DaveC
[-] The following 5 users Like DaveC's post:
Leicester Exile, Mad Brummie, narsty simon, parkfield bear, rednalbear
Dave C you won't be alone