Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
Not agreeing or disagreeing vehemently with LE, parkfield or Terry's analysis.

My beef is that the ECB under it's curent "management" and seemingly with the tacit approval of some of the bigger counties is progressing towards a chosen destination by stealth whilst sidelining the smaller counties and a still sizeable - albiet less than 100,00 - body of county members who might actually like some sort of say.

Sadly, in our own local case, I feel the administrative changes we've just voted for at Edgbaston have further emasculated us and left us with an even smaller influence than we possessed previously.
(11-03-2018, 05:48 PM)narsty simon Wrote: This will be the first season for many years that I will not be attending any first class cricket, I too have become disillusioned, it will always be a great game but sadly ruined by the powers that be

Sorry to hear you will not be attending any first class cricket this summer - I for one will miss the strength of debate and your genuine sense of humour - However from what I know you are not alone in being disillusioned with the way the game is being run - I'd like to say that I think it will improve - change even BUT it won't! 

Cricket has become a CASH COW and that will be the game's undoing going forward. I was told recently by a senior Warwickshire Committee Member following what I felt to be constructive criticism "DJL you have to realise that we (the Committee) are running a business." To which I replied "Well if you (the Committee) were running my business I'd have sacked you all."

Come on Simon - Don't be ground down - Keep the faith - WE NEED YOU!
Thanks DJL, could not have put it better myself, unfortunately there are 2 words in your statement that sum up the ecb's cynicism 'cash cow' & it's being milked for all its worth, proper fansbeing forced out and replaced by the uncooth, unknowledgable, drunken thugs
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
DJL
(13-03-2018, 08:33 AM)narsty simon Wrote: Thanks DJL, could not have put it better myself, unfortunately there are 2 words in your statement that sum up the ecb's cynicism 'cash cow' & it's being milked for all its worth, proper fansbeing forced out and replaced by the uncooth, unknowledgable, drunken thugs

Totally agree BUT if we don't stand up and be counted cricket as we know it will be finished. KEEP THE FAITH SIMON - Hope to see you at Edgbaston during the season - Be good to continue this debate eh?
(12-03-2018, 09:25 PM)DJL Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 05:48 PM)narsty simon Wrote: This will be the first season for many years that I will not be attending any first class cricket, I too have become disillusioned, it will always be a great game but sadly ruined by the powers that be

Sorry to hear you will not be attending any first class cricket this summer - I for one will miss the strength of debate and your genuine sense of humour - However from what I know you are not alone in being disillusioned with the way the game is being run - I'd like to say that I think it will improve - change even BUT it won't! 

Cricket has become a CASH COW and that will be the game's undoing going forward. I was told recently by a senior Warwickshire Committee Member following what I felt to be constructive criticism "DJL you have to realise that we (the Committee) are running a business." To which I replied "Well if you (the Committee) were running my business I'd have sacked you all."

When they say ''we are running a business'' or ''following the cash'' it is total rubbish. You are ruining a business yes but without us as fans, us paying membership or enjoying the cricket and returning they wouldn't have a business to run the first place. Why don't they see that without enjoyment from our side, there is no money in it anyway because we as fans and members put the money into the club firstly. Their business would be nothing without a strong member base or fans, and through what they are doing with following the money they are unfortunately driving that away.

Whatever happened to common sense?!?!
[-] The following 1 user Likes emily_marshall's post:
DJL
Interesting that the Committee think they are running a business. I thought they were running a Cricket Club. It's the old question of does cricket make money in order to exist or exist in order to make money. By what right did the Committee decide to go for the cash? Who mandated them to do that?

Seems to me that first class cricket is being sacrificed in the interests of a few egos with noone (other than Andy Nash) willing to stand up to them.
(13-03-2018, 10:07 PM)emily_marshall Wrote:

When they say ''we are running a business'' or ''following the cash'' it is total rubbish. You are ruining a business yes but without us as fans, us paying membership or enjoying the cricket and returning they wouldn't have a business to run the first place. Why don't they see that without enjoyment from our side, there is no money in it anyway because we as fans and members put the money into the club firstly. Their business would be nothing without a strong member base or fans, and through what they are doing with following the money they are unfortunately driving that away.

COMMON SENSE doesn't seem to feature in modern cricket management - Its all about CASH!

Remember back in the day when Greyhound Tracks were heaving with supporters (A great night out for Family & Friends) - Now the tracks are virtually ghost towns and the events are featured brazenly on Sky TV - One assumes for a generous fee etc - Cricket, well picking up on Narsty Simon's point would appear to be all about attracting the lager lout/yob element - promoting BASEBALL (oops - Sorry T20 Cricket) - The powers that be would appear not to be interested in club membership - They think that route is old hat - doesn't pay.

As I have said it's all about MARKETING & CASH - PROFITS TOO - Only thing is the majority of the first class counties are making LOSSES and are carrying significant DEBT, none more so than Warwickshire who still have loans in excess of £27 million pounds outstanding (with little or no chance of paying it off - They cannot even make sufficient profit to pay off the loan interest at this time).

The  club is insolvent to the tune of £5.7 million - Its a crazy world eh?

Also in my view DANCING GIRLS, FIREWORKS, INANE MUSIC and DRUNKEN YOBOS have no place in Cricket - ECB and the First Class Counties think otherwise - If you are as old as me you will remember the MARLENE DIETRICH record 'WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE' - The haunting lyrics featured a chorus of 'WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN, WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN' - The  same could quite easily be said about CRICKET ADMINISTRATORS - When will they ever learn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DJL's post:
narsty simon
In the final chapter of the book (Class Peace) that I was referring to a few posts back, the author mentions that he has spoken to several senior officials in the county game.  He says that it was suggested to him "on one or two occasions" that running a venue was fine and could be a decent business.  What was economically disastrous was trying to manage a cricket team in that venue. 
According to that way of thinking, what wrecks the county balance sheets is paying something like 500 cricketers to play before practically empty stands in all the stadia. Better to run concerts, conferences, weddings, bar mitzvahs, anything but cricket!
Sadly, there's a certain perverse logic to that argument.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(13-03-2018, 10:29 PM)DJL Wrote:

COMMON SENSE doesn't seem to feature in modern cricket management - Its all about CASH!

Remember back in the day when Greyhound Tracks were heaving with supporters (A great night out for Family & Friends) - Now the tracks are virtually ghost towns and the events are featured brazenly on Sky TV - One assumes for a generous fee etc - Cricket, well picking up on Narsty Simon's point would appear to be all about attracting the lager lout/yob element - promoting BASEBALL (oops - Sorry T20 Cricket) - The powers that be would appear not to be interested in club membership - They think that route is old hat - doesn't pay.

As I have said it's all about MARKETING & CASH - PROFITS TOO - Only thing is the majority of the first class counties are making LOSSES and are carrying significant DEBT, none more so than Warwickshire who still have loans in excess of £27 million pounds outstanding (with little or no chance of paying it off - They cannot even make sufficient profit to pay off the loan interest at this time).

Also in my view DANCING GIRLS, FIREWORKS, INANE MUSIC and DRUNKEN YOBOS have no place in Cricket - ECB and the First Class Counties think otherwise - If you are as old as me you will remember the MARLENE DIETRICH record 'WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE' - The haunting lyrics featured a chorus of 'WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN, WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN' - The  same could quite easily be said about CRICKET ADMINISTRATORS - When will they ever learn.
Once againDJLspot on,you need to post on here regularly,1or2can learn a lot from your intelligent comments it apoears
the regular posters feed us complete rubbish whilst the now and againers are the sensible ones,proof that it's all about quality and not quantity
(13-03-2018, 11:38 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(13-03-2018, 10:29 PM)DJL Wrote:

Once againDJLspot on,you need to post on here regularly,1or2can learn a lot from your intelligent comments it apoears
the regular posters feed us complete rubbish whilst the now and againers are the sensible ones,proof that it's all about quality and not quantity

Many thanks for your kind feedback - Very much appreciated.

Picking up on your quality not quantity theme I think that's the problem with domestic first class cricket in England at the moment - Feeds in to what Terry was saying perhaps? Clubs cannot generate enough income to support their playing staff never mind ground improvements etc - Mind you according to the last set of published accounts, Warwickshire have increased their Admin Staff by ELEVEN (11) and reduced the Cricketing Staff by  FOUR - Having read the accounts what I cannot understand is that based on an annual turnover of between £14 - £17 million why the club needs a CHIEF EXECUTIVE and a FINANCIAL DIRECTOR - Surely the positions could be combined thus saving the club around £50k per annum?

Picking up on cricket's inability to sustain a playing staff, off course BELL and TROTT I believe, this season, are to be fully paid by the Club (not sure about the last 2 years?) - Big Salary earners such as CHOPRA and CLARKE have gone - DOUGIE BROWN 'sacked' yet Wages have increased  yet again. The Club 'sacked' DOUGIE BROWN and GARY STEER (Academy Director) and it is understood that their wages were 'recycled' by way of the appointment of ASHLEY GILES, yet as far as I can see AG had very little input into the club's 1st Team during 2017 - Brain Dead Thinking yet again BUT you won't get any committee member to agree with that view.

I have said this now on many occasions that the Club, due to building a WHITE ELEPHANT (Povey's Folly - Or as I call it, AN OFFICE BLOCK WITH SEATS), has in the last 6 years focused more on CASH (badly) than CRICKET (equally badly) - I think the whole Management Structure of the Club needs to be overhauled totally from top to bottom.

Me? I am usually one of the most positive people going yet as regards the current set up at Edgbaston I feel very negative - To my mind the Club's management set-up is riddled with an unknowing sense of FAILURE - They are living in CUCKOO LAND - They like Colin Povey can walk away, we MEMBERS are somewhat more on message/loyal and do not appear to be walking around with our heads in the sand.

Under the present management structure of not only Warwickshire County Cricket Club BUT Cricket in general (as recited by John Laurie - Private Fraser in Dad's Army) WE ARE DOOMED! Lack of organising a particular event in a brewery comes to my mind.

Apologies for the diatribe but sometimes my passion for the game gets the better of me.
(14-03-2018, 12:59 AM)DJL Wrote: Many thanks for your kind feedback - Very much appreciated.

Picking up on your quality not quantity theme I think that's the problem with domestic first class cricket in England at the moment - Feeds in to what Terry was saying perhaps? Clubs cannot generate enough income to support their playing staff never mind ground improvements etc - Mind you according to the last set of published accounts, Warwickshire have increased their Admin Staff by ELEVEN (11) and reduced the Cricketing Staff by  FOUR - Having read the accounts what I cannot understand is that based on an annual turnover of between £14 - £17 million why the club needs a CHIEF EXECUTIVE and a FINANCIAL DIRECTOR - Surely the positions could be combined thus saving the club around £50k per annum?

Picking up on cricket's inability to sustain a playing staff, off course BELL and TROTT I believe, this season, are to be fully paid by the Club (not sure about the last 2 years?) - Big Salary earners such as CHOPRA and CLARKE have gone - DOUGIE BROWN 'sacked' yet Wages have increased  yet again. The Club 'sacked' DOUGIE BROWN and GARY STEER (Academy Director) and it is understood that their wages were 'recycled' by way of the appointment of ASHLEY GILES, yet as far as I can see AG had very little input into the club's 1st Team during 2017 - Brain Dead Thinking yet again BUT you won't get any committee member to agree with that view.

I have said this now on many occasions that the Club, due to building a WHITE ELEPHANT (Povey's Folly - Or as I call it, AN OFFICE BLOCK WITH SEATS), has in the last 6 years focused more on CASH (badly) than CRICKET (equally badly) - I think the whole Management Structure of the Club needs to be overhauled totally from top to bottom.

Me? I am usually one of the most positive people going yet as regards the current set up at Edgbaston I feel very negative - To my mind the Club's management set-up is riddled with an unknowing sense of FAILURE - They are living in CUCKOO LAND - They like Colin Povey can walk away, we MEMBERS are somewhat more on message/loyal and do not appear to be walking around with our heads in the sand.

Under the present management structure of not only Warwickshire County Cricket Club BUT Cricket in general (as recited by John Laurie - Private Fraser in Dad's Army) WE ARE DOOMED! Lack of organising a particular event in a brewery comes to my mind.

Apologies for the diatribe but sometimes my passion for the game gets the better of me.

It's not just us sadly. I subscribe to a FB group - Simply County Cricket - and the mood there is just as downbeat. Most counties have emasculated their memberships and seem happy to take the ECB shilling in return for accepting the latest abhorrence emanating from Graves, Harrison and the ECB hierarchy.

Problem is there probably fewer than 100,000 county members in total. We are mainly, if not wholly (sorry Emily! Wink ), male, white, middle-class, middle-aged.

What that means for TPTB is that we can easily be categorised as reactionary old buffers standing in the way of dynamic progress. Also our financial clout is diminishing - as we know at Edgbaston income from T20, internationals and non-cricket now far exceeds that from membership. And furthermore as a demographic we are dying off (again sorry Emily!  Wink  ). 

If those running the game stand firm they know that in 10 years time they will be masters of the universe and save for a few writers like George Dobell their schemes will go unchallenged.
What a sad scene we are all posting here and elsewhere. Of course 4 day cricket does not,in itself, generate enough income to support itself. With very little exception it never has. And so we recognise counties have to find other means to generate the income required. T20 is one answer and utilising the ground for non-cricket events another.
However, the sidelining the 4 day game to the spring and autumn and reducing the number of games is not acceptable and will be the ruination of the game as a whole.

DJL - good to read your views again and, I have to say, you seem to have hit the nail right on the spot
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
See Em?, I'm not the world's grumpiest geezer!
(14-03-2018, 04:28 PM)narsty simon Wrote: See Em?, I'm not the world's grumpiest geezer!

Is that open to debate ??????????? he he
LE - aka John
(14-03-2018, 07:41 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(14-03-2018, 04:28 PM)narsty simon Wrote: See Em?, I'm not the world's grumpiest geezer!

Is that open to debate ??????????? he he

Jeez, i’m off to slit my wrists....
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Leicester Exile
George's Latest....

No comment from me necessary.
Indeed. Might be a while before George gets invited to an ECB function.

Apart from the subject matter, it's a terrifically gifted piece of journalism. He has a point to make and he makes it using accessible but eloquent language. It's sprinkled with references (Dylan and Blair in the same article!) and backed up with examples. Emily, if you want to make a career in journalism, study that. (Too late for you, Terry!)
(15-03-2018, 12:58 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Indeed. Might be a while before George gets invited to an ECB function.

Apart from the subject matter, it's a terrifically gifted piece of journalism. He has a point to make and he makes it using accessible but eloquent language. It's sprinkled with references (Dylan and Blair in the same article!) and backed up with examples. Emily, if you want to make a career in journalism, study that. (Too late for you, Terry!)

Yes, I agree that it's excellent journalism -  and also that I'm beyond redemption!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(15-03-2018, 12:58 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Indeed. Might be a while before George gets invited to an ECB function.

My career hopefully lies in town planning but I do enjoy writing about cricket a lot, I just don't think i'm at Dobell level yet...mind you, is anyone?
Has GD ever written anything where you could question his judgement and views?

He paints a very worrying picture and I really do worry for the future of our game.
LE - aka John