Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
But tradition and history are very important imho
LE - aka John
Yes it is

I think its time for us to be Birmingham for all forms of cricket. History is something you read in books about things that are no more or are in decline..... The game needs to evolve and represent the second city in a way that truly represents where its roots clearly now are. Counties like Gloucestershire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire no doubt believe that they have their own successful model to work to.... but the club, with two excellent facilities in the area and a diverse population of over a million, need to tap into the rich multi cultural resources they have neglected for a very long time. The future is bright if the new CEO has the vision to move forward rather than looking back over the decades at a structure that was running out of speed and loosing its way..
History and Tradition tell us how we got to today. Change to Birmingam and no longer can we talk about how we won three trophies in 1994 and why part of the stand is called 1882. Looking at History and Tradition is not simply looking back instead it helps to ensure when moving forward trhe right decsions are made.

A new CEO can still have the vision to move forward without changing the name.
LE - aka John
I ask myself why part of the stand is called 1882.... its generally empty ;-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
narsty simon
I ask myself why part of the stand is called 1882.... its generally empty ;-)
(27-10-2015, 02:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: History and Tradition tell us how we got to today. Change to Birmingam and no longer can we talk about how we won three trophies in 1994 and why part of the stand is called 1882. Looking at History and Tradition is not simply looking back instead it helps to ensure when moving forward trhe right decsions are made.

A new CEO can still have the vision to move forward without changing the name.

Yes I agree but does it really matter to the historians and traditionalists that the name is changed just for the t20. I mean theres no history in that competition when we were Warwickshire, the only time we've won it is when the name was changed.

It's a bit like Ason Villa changing its name to West Midlands for the FA Cup.
The team entering the T20 competition was Warwickshire County Cricket Club , giving it any other name makes a mockery of the club and its supporters.
In 20 years time when supporters look back at the history of WCCC they will all the times they won the CC. Nat West Trophy etc and wonder why they never won the T20 cup.
LE - aka John
Let us not forget that one of the first clauses in the clubs constitution, it may well be the first, is to promote the game of cricket throughout the county of Warwickshire.

Changing the name to Birmingham, Coventry or even Aston, would go against that fundamental clause, and be against the reason the club exists.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
But are we promoting the game of cricket throughout Warwickshire by not playing any first class games in the county. ....I'm all for keeping the same name but its weird that we actually no longer represent the county. Traditions for me should be kept in not just the name.

All roads lead to Birmingham :-)

While it is not really financially practical to take the game round the county the club should be promoting the game by way of supporting club sides and advertising Warks games around the many towns in the county.
LE - aka John
(29-10-2015, 03:35 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: All roads lead to Birmingham Bears :-)

While it is not really financially practical to take the game round the county the club should be promoting the game by way of supporting club sides and advertising Warks games around the many towns in the county.

Changed for you!  Blush

What can I say !!!!!!!!!! I joined Warwickshire County Cricket Club - NOT Birmingham Bears.
LE - aka John
Things keep changing though. Who would have thought Leicester would become the most ethnically diverse city in the uk  Dodgy

But Leicester is NOT the most ethnically diverse city - more accurately the most ethnically DIVIDED city. Each ethnic group lives in their own community with very little integration. A tv programme some months ago showed how people queued for buses in the bus station each ethnic group going home to their own part of the city.
LE - aka John
Sorry I was a bit naughty there. Leicester was featured on ITV news as having the highest number of ethnic minorities. The problem is as you say divided communities.

It's the same the world over people gravitate to their own. Here in France, mainly because of the language difference, there are brits who make no effort whatsoever to speak french - an area a few miles away is known as Little England - and yet we moan about johnny foreigner not speaking english.
LE - aka John
So hows your French?

Et parlez-vous Brummie?
http://www.qlocal.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20845&page=1
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Mon francais est terible!!

And looking at that list I think me brummie needs improving :-)
LE - aka John