Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
(12-05-2017, 07:12 PM)Jon Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 12:39 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The news came from the Birmingham Bears web site and not the Warwickshire one. I could be wrong, but I think the club and the ECB have included all young children from the region and not just the county boundary of Warwickshire or the city of Birmingham in this excellent initiative. Good to hear that a lot of the local clubs are involved.

Off topic, but also well done to the club.... the Birmingham Bears web site is starting to look really good http://birminghambears.com/news/local-cl...U7,INVAM,1

Yep you're wrong

The report is about the excellent work being undertaken by the Warwickshire Cricket Board which covers all of the County of Warwickshire including Birmingham

There is no history of regions in cricket and none are represented quite rightly

As always the constituent bodies of the ECB are counties

I suppose they put this on the dreadful Birmingham Bears website to drum up interest but they'd get more on the Warwickshire one
Somebody at Edgbaston needs educating on the area they represent

Anyway excellent initiative

I believe it says "Warwickshire County Cricket Club’s catchment area" if that helps. Perhaps there is a list of postcodes that would satisfy that criteria.... I could work out who belongs to what (or indeed not) when it comes to cricket within the region?

I will admit that I'm not a fan of the word catchment area. I hope the game will reach out to all children in the country. I suspect that they will... a game based on a closed shop county structure, an elite education system and an expensive sports channel may at some point struggle. The game needs a wider support - and that goes way beyond a first class country structure.

Edgbaston, as the umbrella organization for both WCCC and Birmingham bears, along with the ECB are doing a wonderful job in trying to reach out to children of all socio economic and cultural groupings. The fact that accompanied children under 16 can get in free to a T20 match is brilliant - as is the all stars initiative.

I think its great that Birmingham Bears and WCCC online media tools help in interacting with all its supporters of all ages.

The clubs and the ECB at times get knocked - but reaching out to youngsters is.... as we all hopefully agree .... an excellent inititive.
(13-05-2017, 02:34 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 07:12 PM)Jon Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 12:39 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The news came from the Birmingham Bears web site and not the Warwickshire one. I could be wrong, but I think the club and the ECB have included all young children from the region and not just the county boundary of Warwickshire or the city of Birmingham in this excellent initiative. Good to hear that a lot of the local clubs are involved.

Off topic, but also well done to the club.... the Birmingham Bears web site is starting to look really good http://birminghambears.com/news/local-cl...U7,INVAM,1

Yep you're wrong

The report is about the excellent work being undertaken by the Warwickshire Cricket Board which covers all of the County of Warwickshire including Birmingham

There is no history of regions in cricket and none are represented quite rightly

As always the constituent bodies of the ECB are counties

I suppose they put this on the dreadful Birmingham Bears website to drum up interest but they'd get more on the Warwickshire one
Somebody at Edgbaston needs educating on the area they represent

Anyway excellent initiative

I believe it says "Warwickshire County Cricket Club’s catchment area" if that helps. Perhaps there is a list of postcodes that would satisfy that criteria.... I could work out who belongs to what (or indeed not) when it comes to cricket within the region?

I will admit that I'm not a fan of the word catchment area. I hope the game will reach out to all children in the country. I suspect that they will... a game based on a closed shop county structure, an elite education system and an expensive sports channel may at some point struggle. The game needs a wider support - and that goes way beyond a first class country structure.

Edgbaston, as the umbrella organization for both WCCC and Birmingham bears, along with the ECB are doing a wonderful job in trying to reach out to children of all socio economic and cultural groupings. The fact that accompanied children under 16 can get in free to a T20 match is brilliant - as is the all stars initiative.

I think its great that Birmingham Bears and WCCC online media tools help in interacting with all its supporters of all ages.

The clubs and the ECB at times get knocked - but reaching out to youngsters is.... as we all hopefully agree .... an excellent inititive.

No you're still missing the point I'm afraid

This is a Warwickshire Cricket Board initiative. They cover a specific geographical area which is the traditional county of Warwickshire. I'm afraid WCCC are being a bit slippery when they say catchment area as they know perfectly well WCB cover the traditional county. All the clubs in this initiative will be in the traditional county of Warwickshire. Same as those who play representative cricket for Warwickshire schools etc are in the ECB area.

You are also wrong about Edgbaston being an umbrella organisation. WCCC own Edgbaston so they are the umbrella organisation.
Sorry I thought it was an ECB inititive..... and therefore would need to be inclusive around the whole country and not just the catchment area of a paricular county boundary drawn up in 1066, 188X or any other period deemed fit by parliament. I thought the club would need to reach out to all the children it can within the region.... inclusive and not exclusive..... but if it is only for Warwickshire children then yes I am perhaps wrong.

As for your final point.... you may be right.... but it certainly hasnt felt like that since around the turn of this century.

Interstingly this dialogue perhaps shows the fracture between the past and the future of the game.....
(14-05-2017, 08:08 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Sorry I thought it was an ECB inititive..... and therefore would need to be inclusive around the whole country and not just the catchment area of a paricular county boundary drawn up in 1066, 188X or any other period deemed fit by parliament. I thought the club would need to reach out to all the children it can within the region.... inclusive and not exclusive.....  but if it is only for Warwickshire children then yes I am perhaps wrong.

As for your final point.... you may be right.... but it certainly hasnt felt like that since around the turn of this century.

Interstingly this dialogue perhaps shows the fracture between the past and the future of the game.....

It is an ECB initiative but can only be implicated by the cricket boards that are the constituent parts of the ECB.

The report you linked to is specifically about the work being undertaken by the Warwickshire Cricket Board and all the Clubs which make it up. All the Clubs named are in the traditional County of Warwickshire for that reason.

Warwickshire CCC can only report on the work done by Warwickshire Cricket Board because they both represent the same area. Otherwise WCCC will be treading on the other counties toes.

There is no history of regions so there is no region to reach out to. Try defining a region.

Strangely enough Warwickshire CCC represents Warwickshire.

You can be a member of Warwickshire CCC but you can't be a member of Edgbaston because its a subsidiary with no authority of its own. 

Not certain if you're just on a  wind up but its not about the future or the past it is how cricket is structured in this country.
The thread is about the future of county cricket. Structure (and a number of others issues) are relevant. Clearly a first class county system that only operates in its backyards may struggle to give our summer game much prominence in the future. The game has to reach out to all the children of the country and not be totally defined by 1066, 188X and all that.... we don't want to be like Rugby League that struggles to break out of its heartlands.

As for Edgbaston - I don't disagree..... however I suspect that Edgbaston will become the umbrella organization with a director of sports and each team having a coach (men's, women etc.). In many ways it has operated like that for the best part of this century. The appointment of Giles perhaps confirms that thinking.

Indeed, if Edgbaston could fit a football or Rugby pitch in it, as a sporting club with a 20,000 plus capacity, it probably would..... utilising the ground all year round.... cricket in April and September being played at Portman Road...... a slide in pitch in the summer...... but that is perhaps an impractical step to far for modernity at the moment.
When the ECB say that they want the new T20 competition to replicate the Big Bash, is this what they have in mind?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricke...6158447325
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Mind-blowing figures
LE - aka John
Interesting article by Simon Barnes suggesting that the BBC want to get back into live cricket coverage on TV:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-1...v-comeback
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Warleybear
Hopefully some good news...

Sadly the article begins.... the sports popularity has shrunk.....

Not having Sky Sports, I cant remember the last game, envolving an English team, I watched live on TV. Perhaps 2005? The domestic game has been marginalised.
Cricket is returning to the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40455556

OK, no test cricket isn't great but it's at least a start, right?
Proud to be a Bear
Whilst in some quarters a hard core anti T20 brigade will want to snipe about this ... this is good news for the game. Yes I would have loved some Test cricket, but Sky's millions have funded the survival of the four day game... but sadly cricket has become out of site and out of mind to many. This announcement is very good news! Cricket has been away from FTA terrestrial TV for far too long..... Its a shame we gave to wait nearly three years for it to start again.
Yes, full package here:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/ecb-ann...e=Facebook
Thanks Terry
That looks like a really good deal. It's not often I get to say this but, well done ECB. I had been fearful that we would end up with everything on Netflix or some offshoot of Dave which would be either expensive or rubbish. With two serious broadcasters involved we can indeed be optimistic.

There are rumours that Sky are thinking of changing their subscription model so that you only pay for the sports you want. If Sky Sports 2 becomes the cricket channel they might need more UK games to fill the time. Perhaps they might even take the County Championship seriously. Happy days.
(30-06-2017, 02:05 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: That looks like a really good deal. It's not often I get to say this but, well done ECB. I had been fearful that we would end up with everything on Netflix or some offshoot of Dave which would be either expensive or rubbish. With two serious broadcasters involved we can indeed be optimistic.

There are rumours that Sky are thinking of changing their subscription model so that you only pay for the sports you want. If Sky Sports 2 becomes the cricket channel they might need more UK games to fill the time. Perhaps they might even take the County Championship seriously. Happy days.

Yes,looks like there will be a Sky Sports cricket channel:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/j...lf-cricket
To be honest Sky must be feeling a bit of pressure... I occasionally use their Now TV package if there is an offer on (e.g. £14 with 2 months sky cinema and a box ... or a voucher off ebay) ... but I havent been prepared to pay top wack for their product and steer clear of their sports offering.... the satelite box was unplugged a decade ago. T20 should fit well on terestrial tv... the impact on scheduling and rain interuptions is minimised.
Sky cinema compared to Netflix and amazon prime is totally crap. I bet they don't reduce the now tv sports package which compared to BT Sports app is way over priced.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
parkfield bear
Agreed.... tend to play one off against the other to get a better deal....

I see the Lords final today was at best two thirds full in its high summer position... I remember when thse finals were a sell out. Tickets at £30 to £50 didnt seem to catch the imagination. 50 over finals are becomming the forgotten finals. Looked a good final though.... Great innings by Hales.
Yes I was there. Good 100 by Stoneman and superb innings by Alex Hales. But a far cry from the days of sell out crowds.
What will it be like in 2020 when the 50 over competition is played at the same time as the new T20 competition?
I thought the Hales innings was magnificent. Probably the best innings in a final ever. Very pleased for Chris Read in his final year. Patel shows once again why he isn't an international cricketer. Crowds have dwindled but theres so much live sport on tv and so many other sports to compete against. its a reflection of the times. 50 over cricket is still by far the best format of one day cricket