Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
Probably been said before but last season's championship format was perfect, 2 divisions of9, 2up2down, 1 games, play everybody twice poor Durham this year as well as being deducted 48points they play Notts twice & Leics once
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
(20-04-2017, 07:38 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Many wouldnt even want structural change to the four ball game.. Football or Rugby wouldnt, for example, allow the triumvirate of failure to continue at Leics, Nortants and Derbys. It would chop out the dead wood and allow new entities to get into the game bringing a new support and player base. What is currently the point of  division 2 .... I'd amalgamate  a couple of counties, create a couple of new first class ones and have three divisions with two up two down. I'd get rid of 50 over domestic cricket and just play championship and T20 cricket. I may even introduce a straight T20 knock out cup with all the minor counties.... basically I would make changes... the game needs it.

Aren't Leics & Northants2of the more successful sides@the pantomime pyjama wearing slog proving it's not as skillfull as proper cricket?!
Leicester Exile
WB I would like to read your response to post 522
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
Proves my point ... if T20 keeps clubs like the triumvirate of failure in the county championship going then you should rejoice.... perhaps an arguement for more T20....perhaps some clubs should only play T20.... What about an additional straight knock out including the minor counties etc.

But on the subject of four day Cricket, it needs a shake up.... as per my previous post there are many options..... but division 2 is going to become to be too weak for some counties - a small number battling to get the one spot out, whilst some counties constantly... bar the odd blip... fight for the wooden spoon. A quick look at the number of wooden spoons per county this century makes grim reading. Perhaps there needs to be a third division?
Your remarks on certain counties are disrespectful&a total disgrace,all counties have their ups and downs, you should be ashamed of yourself!
Counties playing only T20 is just not an option and would lead to the already (So we are told) talked about, demise of the CC. What if certain counties just played the shorter format and then found that they couldn't win at it any more, what then. I do not like 2 divisions and never have. It's all very well saying that it has brought a purpose to the end of the season for counties trying to avoid relegation and trying to get promoted but it does still produce dead games aplenty. The only reason that sides like Hampshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire have won half the T20 titles is that you do not really have to be a good side to win it and you do not even have to be a good T20 to do so. We were a prime example of this in 2014 when we scraped through and have as much to thank Notts for in their pursuit of an unlikely 200+ score to beat Yorkshire in the last round of games. 60 and 50 over cricket produced trophies for mainly decent teams but the more you shorten the format, the more it is likely that very ordinary sides can win trophies. A minor county side would win more T20 games against first class counties than 50 overs. If you then take it to an extreme and played 10 overs per side they'd have even more of a chance as a few good/bad overs can change things more easily if the format is shorter. I do not want more T20 games and the CC is where you get Test players from.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
Exactly, another example is West Indies, a pretty poor test side,currentl world t20champions courtesy of 4flukey6s,popularity doesn't  mean  quality ,in fact the lower the quality the more it appeals to the lowest  common denominator
[-] The following 2 users Like narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile, paulbear
It is very interesting that this current poor West Indies Test team have since 2004, won 2 T20's and a Champions Trophy title and yet that great side of who didn't lose a single Test series home or away from 1980 to the 1994-5 series v Aus, won absolutely nothing in major one-day titles.
(23-04-2017, 08:40 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Your remarks on certain counties are disrespectful&a total disgrace,all counties have their ups and downs, you should be ashamed of yourself!

Nothing disgraceful at all… disrespectful? I should be ashamed of myself? Wow… no wonder the game is in denial. I'm sure we all want what's best for the game - but sometimes tuff love is the only answer. All options have to be considered to strengthen the championship. My comments are about strengthening and expanding the championship into new areas.. To do so, certain aspects need shaking up…. Pruning is necessary as at least two counties present nearly two decades of failure. A stronger amalgamated unit may be the answer… Some people may not want change … but IMHO all options have to be considered.

The facts are worrying … they speak for themselves…. In the whole history of two divisional county championship cricket the statistics for winning the wooden spoon are that either Leicestershire or Derbyshire have won it a shocking 70 percent of the time. Derbys have won it 31% of the time and Leics have won it 39% of the time. Bottom three positions make very grim reading for those sides.

Anyway, the championship needs a kick up the arse… the current format of division 2 is a farce – only one up and not every county playing each other home and away. Perhaps three divisions is an answer with some newer counties and keep Leics and Derbys intact? Moving on… The championship without T20 cricket will struggle financially and exist on, at best, a pro – am basis.
You are correct about div2being a farce, last year's championship format was perfect, no need for change
(24-04-2017, 02:34 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(23-04-2017, 08:40 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Your remarks on certain counties are disrespectful&a total disgrace,all counties have their ups and downs, you should be ashamed of yourself!

Nothing disgraceful at all… disrespectful? I should be ashamed of myself? Wow… no wonder the game is in denial. I'm sure we all want what's best for the game - but sometimes tuff love is the only answer. All options have to be considered to strengthen the championship. My comments are about strengthening and expanding the championship into new areas.. To do so, certain aspects need shaking up…. Pruning is necessary as at least two counties present nearly two decades of failure. A stronger amalgamated unit may be the answer… Some people may not want change … but IMHO all options have to be considered.

The facts are worrying … they speak for themselves…. In the whole history of two divisional county championship cricket the statistics for winning the wooden spoon are that either Leicestershire or Derbyshire have won it a shocking 70 percent of the time. Derbys have won it 31% of the time and Leics have won it 39% of the time. Bottom three positions make very grim reading for those sides.

Anyway, the championship needs a kick up the arse… the current format of division 2 is a farce – only one up and not every county playing each other home and away. Perhaps three divisions is an answer with some newer counties and keep Leics and Derbys intact? Moving on… The championship without T20 cricket will struggle financially and exist on, at best, a pro – am basis.
Of course it's disrespectful, fans/members of the counties you continually slag off will be deeply offended by your comments
Leicester Exile
Surrey post record figures and have over 10,000 members:
https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/surrey...l-results/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(24-04-2017, 03:50 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(24-04-2017, 02:34 PM)Warleybear Wrote:

Of course it's disrespectful, fans/members of the counties you continually slag off will be deeply offended by your comments

Those counties are not being "slagged off"... the fact that Derbys and Leics have shared the wooden spoon 70% of the time this century should be a worry to everyone - it is public record. My worry is that division 2 with one promotion slot and a lot of weak teams will not help develop the game nor the stronger counties in that division. There is a case to say restructure....  have a third division and perhaps create / restructure some counties / minor counties. Another option is to cut to, say, 12 counties and have a strong league to benefit the England side. Change is needed.....
(25-04-2017, 04:28 PM)Terry Wrote: Surrey post record figures and have over 10,000 members:

T20 is certainly now paying dividends for Surrey.... all those new supporters from the early 2000's starting to appear in the membership ranks. Excellent!
(28-04-2017, 12:12 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(25-04-2017, 04:28 PM)Terry Wrote: Surrey post record figures and have over 10,000 members:

T20 is certainly now paying dividends for Surrey.... all those new supporters from the early 2000's starting to appear in the membership ranks. Excellent!

Z zzzz
With regard to the future, I thought this was an excellent idea....

http://birminghambears.com/news/local-cl...U7,INVAM,1
(09-05-2017, 10:04 PM)Warleybear Wrote: With regard to the future, I thought this was an excellent idea....

I agree that this looks like an excellent initiative.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(10-05-2017, 01:41 AM)Terry Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 10:04 PM)Warleybear Wrote: With regard to the future, I thought this was an excellent idea....

I agree that this looks like an excellent initiative.

Yes it should say "County" rather than region (someone needs educating) but it is an excellent idea. All my local Clubs involved.
The news came from the Birmingham Bears web site and not the Warwickshire one. I could be wrong, but I think the club and the ECB have included all young children from the region and not just the county boundary of Warwickshire or the city of Birmingham in this excellent initiative. Good to hear that a lot of the local clubs are involved.

Off topic, but also well done to the club.... the Birmingham Bears web site is starting to look really good http://birminghambears.com/news/local-cl...U7,INVAM,1
(12-05-2017, 12:39 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The news came from the Birmingham Bears web site and not the Warwickshire one. I could be wrong, but I think the club and the ECB have included all young children from the region and not just the county boundary of Warwickshire or the city of Birmingham in this excellent initiative. Good to hear that a lot of the local clubs are involved.

Off topic, but also well done to the club.... the Birmingham Bears web site is starting to look really good http://birminghambears.com/news/local-cl...U7,INVAM,1

Yep you're wrong

The report is about the excellent work being undertaken by the Warwickshire Cricket Board which covers all of the County of Warwickshire including Birmingham

There is no history of regions in cricket and none are represented quite rightly

As always the constituent bodies of the ECB are counties

I suppose they put this on the dreadful Birmingham Bears website to drum up interest but they'd get more on the Warwickshire one
Somebody at Edgbaston needs educating on the area they represent

Anyway excellent initiative