Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
(28-03-2017, 08:41 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(28-03-2017, 08:38 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(27-03-2017, 11:26 PM)Jon Wrote:
(27-03-2017, 08:34 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I seem to be the only one on this site who is positive about this.... I feared for the future of county cricket until T20 came along.

Nope I have consistently said I support this.

Since the Birmingham Bears nonsense I see this as the only escape for WCCC which is my concern.

if a Birmingham team plays in this they will surely re-brand back to warwickshire for the County competition.

My concern is that Warwickshire stop their failed experiment (i understand sales are second lowest increase in country) and play in all competitions as Warwickshire. This year's members pack was particularly annoying.

I'm really not that worked up about the franchise stuff.

The members 'pack was a superbly  gifted box set and a wonderful  gesture  by the club to its members, pity it was wasted  on ungrateful whingers like you

yep completely wasted on me.

I'd rather have had a Warwickshire County Cricket Club membership card (my club), a WCCC yearbook and information relating to WCCC. I have absolutely zero affinity with Birmingham Bears whoever they are.
O
(27-03-2017, 08:34 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I seem to be the only one on this site who is positive about this.... I feared for the future of county cricket until T20 came along.

Since the Birmingham Bears nonsense I see this as the only escape for WCCC which is my concern.

if a Birmingham team plays in this they will surely re-brand back to warwickshire for the County competition.

My concern is that Warwickshire stop their failed experiment (i understand sales are second lowest increase in country) and play in all competitions as Warwickshire. This year's members pack was particularly annoying.

'2nd lowest increase' says absolutely nothing. Actually, if Somerset, Essex etc sell out for every game, their increase must be NIL! What's wrong with the members' pack? I thought it was very well presented and useful.
(28-03-2017, 04:20 PM)Malc Wrote: '2nd lowest increase' says absolutely nothing. Actually, if Somerset, Essex etc sell out for every game, their increase must be NIL! What's wrong with the members' pack? I thought it was very well presented and useful.

Based on revenue. As George Dobell has said: 

"Smallest increases in Birmingham and Cardiff. Both likely venues for new-team competition. Really, you couldn't make this stuff up."
(28-03-2017, 04:42 PM)Jon Wrote:
(28-03-2017, 04:20 PM)Malc Wrote: '2nd lowest increase' says absolutely nothing. Actually, if Somerset, Essex etc sell out for every game, their increase must be NIL! What's wrong with the members' pack? I thought it was very well presented and useful.

Based on revenue. As George Dobell has said: 

"Smallest increases in Birmingham and Cardiff. Both likely venues for new-team competition. Really, you couldn't make this stuff up."

You don't get it do you? County A could have increased by 100%, but they could still be attracting less than county B who increased by 5%.
(28-03-2017, 03:47 PM)Jon Wrote:

The members 'pack was a superbly  gifted box set and a wonderful  gesture  by the club to its members, pity it was wasted  on ungrateful whingers like you

I'd rather have had a Warwickshire County Cricket Club membership card (my club), a WCCC yearbook and information relating to WCCC. I have absolutely zero affinity with Birmingham Bears whoever they are.

If you have zero  affinity  with  Birmingham, don't  follow t20,we  are  Warwickshire  in  proper  cricket  and  always will be whilst the great game exists,when the sad day arrives and there is no more then you will have justifiction to complain

If you have zero  affinity  with  Birmingham, don't  follow t20,we  are  Warwickshire  in  proper  cricket  and  always will be whilst the great game exists,when the sad day arrives and there is no more then you will have justifiction to complain
[-] The following 2 users Like narsty simon's post:
Paul, Warleybear
I have to say there seems to be a lot of negativity in some quarters... even Dobell....

People should watch and enjoy what they want to.... anything that attenpts to generate revenue for the game is a good thing.... and may it succeed.. I enjoy watching the 4 day game and T20.... and I hope that continues for a long time with lots of people turning up and watching at Edgbaston and other grounds around the country.
I am not convinced an 8 team city franchise will work for England and Wales. To try and copy Australia is like comparing apples with pears. There cities are 100s miles apart and their states are huge. In addition they have much better evenings for sitting watching cricket than here.
Then we move on to a cluttered over crowded season. I don't see how you can have a meaningful county championship, 50 over competition 2 T20 competitions, 5,6 or 7 test matches and a similar number of ODIs.
I can understand the thinking that migrants might relate to say Leeds rather than Yorkshire but I do think they are wrong. It's down to marketing. Surely people know in what county their city is situated. Can anyone convince me that attendance at Edgbaston has increased since the name change?
Too many T20 games and public will get bored and move on.
LE - aka John
Maybe at some point we'll need to think of T20 as another sport to Cricket and just accept it as it is. Eventually the T20 county competition will disappear and we'll have Warwickshire players playing the 4 day and 50 over stuff with totally different players playing in this Franchise competition. I agree with Simon what does it matter. As long as the county cricket structure remain for proper cricket then people should be happy.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
narsty simon
I'd be happy with that. Let red ball and white ball cricket go their separate ways and those who enjoy the different forms can both be happy. It wouldn't bother me if county and franchise cricket took place at the same time. The problem is that the proponents of T20 seem to believe that they need to monopolise the calendar, shunting the four day game into the margins of acceptable weather. One would have hoped for better from the game's administrators but then ...
Interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39445994
Proud to be a Bear
Here's the view from Taunton:
http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/s...s_meeting/
As a committee member says:
“We feel a bit like we have entered a restaurant where there is pork and beef on the menu, looked at it and said ‘we want chicken’ – unfortunately, that is not an option and so we can’t have that.
Even worse if you're a vegetarian.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/

The Members Pack is a classic case of MIS-DIRECTION from an organization that is INSOLVENT trying to make out to its public that it has MONEY - WCCC is 27 million pounds in debt and taking all assets & liabilities into account the Club is INSOLVENT to the tune of 3.7 million pounds - So why is it sending out a costly boxed pack - Well as I say it is a case of MIS-DIRECTION - Please don't call me a whinger more appropriate to call me a PRAGMATIST or a REALIST.
(30-03-2017, 06:50 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I am not convinced an 8 team city franchise will work for England and Wales. To try and copy Australia is like comparing apples with pears. There cities are 100s miles apart and their states are huge. In addition they have much better evenings for sitting watching cricket than here.
Then we move on to a cluttered over crowded season. I don't see how you can have a meaningful county championship, 50 over competition  2 T20 competitions, 5,6 or 7 test matches and a similar number of ODIs.
I can understand the thinking that migrants might relate to say Leeds rather than Yorkshire but I do think they are wrong. It's down to marketing. Surely people know in what county their city is situated. Can anyone convince me that attendance at Edgbaston has increased since the name change?

For some time now I have been asking fellow cricket supporters the following question:
'' Is CRICKET there to serve the ECB or is the ECB there to serve CRICKET?''

The new T20 x 8 team city franchise has been budgeted to lose a minimum of 15 million pounds in each of its first 5 years - So how do counties benefit? The ECB is advocating changing its constitution to ensure that they can operate a competition that does not have to include all 18 counties - The non competing counties are being offered a 'bribe' of 1.3 million pounds a year to allow the change in the ECB constitution - The ECB are talking about having 3 LONDON centric venues for the World Cup to be held in London in 2019 - Lord's - The Oval and The London Stadium (where West Ham Utd play their football).

You can see where I am coming from can't you? Cricket has become a pawn in the game of making MONEY - Its not about CRICKET anymore its about GREED - Me I want none of it - I have spoken with many Warwickshire Supporters in the last few months and on a ratio of 2:1 they seem to think that I am talking a load of rubbish - Ah well time will tell eh?
(30-03-2017, 04:54 PM)DJL Wrote:
(30-03-2017, 06:50 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I am not convinced an 8 team city franchise will work for England and Wales. To try and copy Australia is like comparing apples with pears. There cities are 100s miles apart and their states are huge. In addition they have much better evenings for sitting watching cricket than here.
Then we move on to a cluttered over crowded season. I don't see how you can have a meaningful county championship, 50 over competition  2 T20 competitions, 5,6 or 7 test matches and a similar number of ODIs.

For some time now I have been asking fellow cricket supporters the following question:

The new T20 x 8 team city franchise has been budgeted to lose a minimum of 15 million pounds in each of its first 5 years - So how do counties benefit? The ECB is advocating changing its constitution to ensure that they can operate a competition that does not have to include all 18 counties - The non competing counties are being offered a 'bribe' of 1.3 million pounds a year to allow the change in the ECB constitution - The ECB are talking about having 3 LONDON centric venues for the World Cup to be held in London in 2019 - Lord's - The Oval and The London Stadium (where West Ham Utd play their football).

You can see where I am coming from can't you? Cricket has become a pawn in the game of making MONEY - Its not about CRICKET anymore its about GREED - Me I want none of it - I have spoken with many Warwickshire Supporters in the last few months and on a ratio of 2:1 they seem to think that I am talking a load of rubbish - Ah well time will tell eh?

I will ask the age old question yet again:
''Is CRICKET there to sereve the ECB or is the ECB there to serve CRICKET?
(30-03-2017, 04:56 PM)DJL Wrote: For some time now I have been asking fellow cricket supporters the following question:

I will ask the age old question yet again:
''Is CRICKET there to sereve the ECB or is the ECB there to serve CRICKET?

The ECB's track record over the last 25 years is appalling. The constant tinkering with domestic competitions and schedules - too many to mention - has already cannibalized the audience into many disparate pieces.

How this new competition is supposed to energize a new audience without confusing the b******s out of them I can only guess. Even my street smart savvy teenage niece - a Pears member and about to do a sports marketing degree - can't see how this new comp  9898 9898 9898  can be crowbarred in without destroying one or more of the other ones.

Perhaps when she qualifies she can give the ghastly Tom Harrison a run for his money.

To me it's a make-believe competition designed for a make-believe audience.

I am reminded of the old management adage - "We have a problem. We need to do something. This is something. Let's do this".

In answer to your question DJL - undoubtedly the ECB think the former.

Oh - and agree wholeheartedly about the membership pack. 3 weeks on and 3 phone calls later still waiting for an actual membership card to arrive. Perhaps I can use the free passes in the back of the handbook!
Perhaps its time for the game to split.... the players sign contracts for whatever side and format they want. The grounds become holding companies / umbrella organisations that sell out the facilities to (in the example of Edgbaston) Warwicks, Birmingham and England. Different tarrifs for weekends etc. Each format then stands on its own two feet, pays its players what it can afford and its fate is decided by commercial forces and bums on seats.

Cricket must be worried about the demographics in the UK ..... I am. T20 fits with peoples lives... indeed I believe cricket should become an Olympic sport and played as T10. Each game over in 90 minutes with a number of games played each day.

Interesting times.....
As long as its called T10 mow cricket that's fine.

(30-03-2017, 04:46 PM)DJL Wrote:
(27-03-2017, 11:26 PM)Jon Wrote: Nope I have consistently said I support this.

The Members Pack is a classic case of MIS-DIRECTION from an organization that is INSOLVENT trying to make out to its public that it has MONEY - WCCC is 27 million pounds in debt and taking all assets & liabilities into account the Club is INSOLVENT to the tune of 3.7 million pounds - So why is it sending out a costly boxed pack - Well as I say it is a case of MIS-DIRECTION - Please don't call me a whinger more appropriate to call me a PRAGMATIST or a REALIST.

Are that Jon and you a double act?!we have had the chuckle  brothers you could  be the whingeing brothers
Hugh Morris seems to think Cardiff deserves a franchise team. They get the worst crowds in the Blast, worse even than Derbyshire and Durham. The ECB might make more money for the game by having 3 teams in London. I like the idea of Glamorgan dropping out of county cricket altogether and becoming a Wales side playing Ireland, Scotland and Holland and in the Intercontinental cup plus some ODI's against England each season.