Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
Chris Gayle follows the long tradition established by Warwickshire (Kanhai, Kallicharan, Murray, Gibbs) of Caribbean overseas players.
(23-09-2016, 01:09 PM)Jon Wrote: Chris Gayle follows the long tradition established by Warwickshire (Kanhai, Kallicharan, Murray, Gibbs) of Caribbean overseas players.

He's coming to us? Nooooooo. Difference between him and other players you named is that they were team players. Gayle appears to be anything but.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Leicester Exile
Vic Marks has some sensible words to say, not that anyone in charge will take note:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2...are_btn_tw
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
He's spot on, I believe. The only part I would take issue with is when he suggests the counties are "sleepwalking into chaos". They're not. They have heard all the arguments and know all the drawbacks. They just don't care.
So here's another twist:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/s...MP=OTC-RSS
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
It would be most unfair to penalise Durham as it has been caused solely due to ECB demanding too many test match status grounds
LE - aka John
Durham's plight is sad as is Northants...

Worryingly division two continues to look very weak... ... Derbyshire have now overtaken Leics for the most championship wooden spoons this millennium. Also those who proclaimed the rise of Leicestershire to certain promotion would be dismayed to see they finished third from bottom.
Hampshire's Rod Bransgrove inserts his twopennyworth.

http://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/news/a-...mpetition/

He stops just short of a Ratner moment but makes it quite clear that if the members disagree with his view of the future, it's the members that are wrong.
I have never really liked Rod Bransgrove but he made some good points in the article. I think one of the main problems with lack of support or attendance for cricket, comes down to the 9.4 million so -called cricket lovers who watch when they feel like it and not because they really want to. The cricket they 'Want to' watch is Test matches and T20. They pretend to follow a county but like everyone on here do not get angry, disillusioned or throw or kick things when the county they pretend to support, loses. They are too selective and call themselves cricket fans whilst attending just a Test matches and a few T20's on a Friday night with only a brief eye on the game but 99% concentration on their mobile phones. They'll be texting someone to say where they are and if the text is returned with a "What's the score" comment, they will actually have to look up at the scoreboard and work out what has happened as they have been busy trying to balance their pint, mobile and burger whilst this secondary thing called 'Cricket' goes on in front of them. This might seem simplistic but I reckon we all see this 'Cricket fan' at some point during the season and they are 1 of the 9.4 million (minus members and regular attendees) who say they love the game. I often say you can tell the real fan by whether or not they take their rubbish to a bin instead of just leaving it on, under or by their seat. Looking at the ground after a T20 game tells you everything you need to know about the 9.4 million.
Yes paulbear that's what worries me. Do the promised riches from a city based T20 actually exist? We've seen the ECB seduced by a snake-oil salesman before until Stanford's millions followed him into an American jail. If they are going to trash the existing competitions please let them be very, very sure that what they are introducing will bring the benefits they claim.

Bransgrove, of course, is the man who "knew" that the future for Hampshire cricket was to pour lots of concrete over the Rose Bowl in an attempt to lure Test Match cricket. Several bailouts from Eastleigh Council later, he now "knows" that the solution is City T20. I don't think cricket is best served by having businessmen in charge.
He does appear to make some good points. However, I don't remember any protests when 2 division CC was proposed and implemented.

I worry that too much time is going to be taken up by T20
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
Paulbear raises some good points.

We perhaps have to come to terms with the fact that 9 million cricket lovers don't like the current county system and that it's only loved by the approx declining 80,000 members. Many of that 80,000 'hobbyists' won't like it, but I think the powers that be have now come to the conclusion that it is time to prune the number of first class / list A one day sides and run them on a regional basis. No more than a dozen full time professional sides playing more focussed cricket in all formats.
If the ECB just followed the stats regarding attendance and revenue then 4 day County Cricket would be abolished. This would leave T20 and Test Matches.

Subsequently Test Matches would be reduced to just 2 days because batsmen will have lost the art of building an innings and would be replaced with runs being scored at a rate of 8 an over.

And then, of course, all the current supporters of T20 will get bored with the game and start watching American Football !
LE - aka John
narsty simon
Golf and snooker are games that go on forever, both of which I find unexciting, doesn't mean they should bring in crazy shortened versions of the sport to appeal to non followers, indeed supporters of these sports would be appalled, cricket 's strength is also it's weakness and it never has and never will appeal to the masses, its a great game run very badly by the powers that be
[-] The following 2 users Like narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile, parkfield bear
Doesn't Crazy Golf count as the shortened version :)
LE - aka John
narsty simon
Do you think WBwould object if we called the T20 slog crazy cricket? !
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
Golf participation down from 1.5 million in 2007 to 1.1 million in 2015 in UK (source Statista) as well as the audience. Snooker never really recovered to the 1980s numbers. Indeed Snooker is trying to have a shortened format http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/36266842 and Golf is trying the same too http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/quic...ship-boost

Rugby has done very well as has football (compared to 1980s).

Crickets big problem is that people need to invest a lot in time and money to watch the longer formats and state schools are largely 'cricket unaware', which is a big problem when it comes to participating or watching. My Nephews school has a huge grass area - since the 1980s there has been no cricket pitch and he has no access to sky. If I didn't take him, he would hardly know what 4 day cricket was.

Sports sometimes go through big changes - look what William Web Ellis did for Rugby. I honestly believe that the change in cricket has already happened and there will possibly be no 4 day or Test cricket played in this country in the next three to four decades - it will all be T20. Cricket administrators know in their heart of hearts that a Tsunami is sadly approaching. With each passing winter, memberships will soon start to collapse (if they haven't already) and whilst ECB stats show attendances increasing, it is perhaps not enough to stave off the legacy of abandoning state schools and showing cricket on Sky. That decision will impact over the next 30 to 40 years. Outside T20, empty plastic seat syndrome will kick in once the novelty of the £100 test ticket and £ 6 beer has worn off. Outside cricket, the general public have less and less association with their county any more (as many Manchester United supporters will tell you).

So what is to be done..... well kidding ourselves that things are going to continue "as is" forever probably isn't the answer. Perhaps it is too late - but the state school system needs reinvigorating and some cricket needs to be available on FTA (that's if carriers are interested anymore). I would also shake up the 18 counties now to prepare for the future. Some need to amalgamate (Leics and Derbys). The future is going to have challenges ..... but change is coming.
.... and then I read about Durham. It has started.
1 frame snooker is not new - it was tried on BBC many years ago. However, this new format sounds childish in the extreme. As for the golf - 9 holes/quick golf, really!!

Lets expand on this - football played 15 minutes each way without goalkeepers. Teams to be fined if they don't score.
Tennis played in the tie-break format

Where will it all end
LE - aka John
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37614426