Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
A hard-hitting article by George:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-crick...56059.html
He doesn't quite accuse the ECB of crooked dealings but if we choose to read that between the lines, so be it.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I read about this in Wisden. Good for them. They obviously want to control the club a bit more and to not have to go through an argument about franchises and where it will leave them if we have to have a vote on that business. The article makes interesting reading and is worth a look.
(09-09-2016, 06:36 PM)paulbear Wrote: Oh! No it doesn't some US up. I have been a member for 27 consecutive years and it breaks my heart to see us in a position where we could go down. I have cried at results good and bad and I will shout as loud as anyone at Lords and then Edgbaston during our last game. It just matters to me that we are trying to move too quickly to be branded and the 'Birmingham Bears' and 'Edgbaston' logo everywhere really **** me off. If the name of the club is not on the front of the building then it sums up where the people with the purse strings want us to be.

Well said Paul caring about the Club and the team are hardly mutually exclusive

Personally I find supporters who don't care about history, identity and heritage strange but there you go.
(09-09-2016, 01:54 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 12:17 AM)Jon Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 10:25 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:59 PM)paulbear Wrote: I would like to see 'The bear and ragged staff' emblem around the ground more. Never mind branding and all the 'edgbaston' logo plastered everywhere. We know exactly where we are. I thought it was a county club and it should ******** well say so right at the front of the ground and elsewhere.

Well according to Jon it's sacrilege to even call ourselves the Bears so I'm not sure that even that would go down well with everyone! (I agree though)

No please don't keep misrepresenting what I say.

I think Paul's post is spot on. The bear and ragged staff are the coat of arms of Warwickshire and should be all the branding we need. I've often thought there should be a bear and ragged staff above the new pavilion as the focal point. Better than e shaped floodlights.

As for the "Bears" business it only started in the 90s - I was following Warwickshire County Cricket Club long before then as did several generations of my family before me.

So you want the logo (Bear and Ragged Staff) to be all round the ground but then we're not allowed to call ourselves the Bears? Bizarre.

It's not a logo it's an emblem and the Bear relates to Warwickshire. It has no connection to Birmingham other than Birmingham being part of the historic county of Warwickshire
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
paulbear
(09-09-2016, 09:01 PM)Terry Wrote: A hard-hitting article by George:
He doesn't quite accuse the ECB of crooked dealings but if we choose to read that between the lines, so be it.

A superb final paragraph by George - as usual he has hit the nail right on top of the head.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
paulbear
Yes, i heard George on Radio 5 Sports Extra yesterday making similar points during the tea interval at Trent Bridge. A lot of Counties following ECB advice are in parlous positions financially after spending money they could not afford on ground " improvements ". They are desperate enough to take the money on offer. The long term consequences for the game are the last thing on the mind of beleaguered Chief Executives trying to stay afloat. Warwickshire's financial woes have contributed to the absence of financial support for Dougie Brown in strengthening the squad. I cannot recall a major signing during Brown's tenure. No wonder the team is struggling to stay up. Once Warwickshire were the wealthiest County in the country, now thanks to financial incompetence are one of the weakest. Borrowing money there was little prospect of being able to afford to repay. We will never know whether Brown is a good manager or not until someone gives him the tools to do the job. The captain has lost form and confidence, perhaps he lacks the personal qualities required for leadership. The reality is that the club has insufficient funds to spend heavily on recruitment and we will have to accept whatever the Academy produces. Money spent on better coaches to bring these youngsters on might be a better investment for the club.
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
paulbear
Great article as usual from Mr Dobell. I can never understand why people like Michael Vaughan are so hell bent on insisting that a franchise in the U.K would work. The 'Big Bash' in Australia works because they do not have the same state fan base as we have here for our counties. Years of tradition and support have seen supporters flock to Lords (Not so much now as 10+ years ago) for finals and other big games around the country. Because fans are now being sold this 'Team England' ethic, they have stayed away from county cricket apart from T20. We have a county tradition and asking members to suddenly support a city is like asking Aston Villa fans "Can you please support a new team called Birmingham Villa which will be in a new cup competition and will contain Birmingham City players". If it is just a case of calling a county by another name, then there is no point in the change but if you want to merge 2 or more counties and give them a name then you have to say 1) What do we call the city 2)Where do we play 3) Who picks the side to decide the best players. What would you call a huge county like Yorkshire. Leeds? Can't see many Sheffield or Bradford fans of Yorkshire going for that. Would I watch a team called Birmingham with Worcestershire players in the side. No. How many would. If the ECB are going down the franchise root then they had better do some research before they start to organise it.
I don't buy the commercial sensitivity argument for a non disclosure agreement. There is no competitive element. The ECB are the only seller and Sky are the only buyer. The NDA is there because someone is going to get stitched up and the ECB don't want them to know about it until it is too late.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
Terry
Just read a few comments on 'cricinfo' and one person posted and then left news of a site called http://www.saveourcounties.com and they have put all the arguments about franchises on the site and it is well worded, easy to understand and has some brilliant research that will answer so many questions about just what the ECB are setting out to do. If you have not already gone onto the site, do take a look.
(09-09-2016, 09:48 PM)Jon Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 10:25 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:59 PM)paulbear Wrote: I would like to see 'The bear and ragged staff' emblem around the ground more. Never mind branding and all the 'edgbaston' logo plastered everywhere. We know exactly where we are. I thought it was a county club and it should ******** well say so right at the front of the ground and elsewhere.

Well according to Jon it's sacrilege to even call ourselves the Bears so I'm not sure that even that would go down well with everyone! (I agree though)

I think Paul's post is spot on. The bear and ragged staff are the coat of arms of Warwickshire and should be all the branding we need. I've often thought there should be a bear and ragged staff above the new pavilion as the focal point. Better than e shaped floodlights.

As for the "Bears" business it only started in the 90s - I was following Warwickshire County Cricket Club long before then as did several generations of my family before me.

So you want the logo (Bear and Ragged Staff) to be all round the ground but then we're not allowed to call ourselves the Bears? Bizarre.

It's not a logo it's an emblem and the Bear relates to Warwickshire. It has no connection to Birmingham other than Birmingham being part of the historic county of Warwickshire

Eh? I'm well aware that the Bear relates to Warwickshire and not Birmingham. My point was that you said, and I quote "cheering on Warwickshire not Birmingham or Bears" implying that you have something against us being called the Bears. I completely agree that the Birmingham Bears name is wrong as dislike it as much as anyone but I've nothing against us being called Warwickshire Bears (indeed, I encourage it). You seem to be the sort of person who is only happy when complaining about something. When is the last time you actually posted something positive? I prefer to actually go to games (when I can) and get behind my team rather than constantly picking holes in things.
Proud to be a Bear
(09-09-2016, 11:35 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 10:25 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Well according to Jon it's sacrilege to even call ourselves the Bears so I'm not sure that even that would go down well with everyone! (I agree though)

Eh? I'm well aware that the Bear relates to Warwickshire and not Birmingham. My point was that you said, and I quote "cheering on Warwickshire not Birmingham or Bears" implying that you have something against us being called the Bears. I completely agree that the Birmingham Bears name is wrong as dislike it as much as anyone but I've nothing against us being called Warwickshire Bears (indeed, I encourage it). You seem to be the sort of person who is only happy when complaining about something. When is the last time you actually posted something positive? I prefer to actually go to games (when I can) and get behind my team rather than constantly picking holes in things.

That was actually on a different thread and my point was that primarily we are Warwickshire. The Bears thing is a relatively recent phenomenon and derives from warwickshire's coat of arms.

Instead of becoming obsessed with everything I write and abusive why don't you write your own views?

My concerns are well founded and the very identity of the club is under threat at the moment given the unmanageable debt and dangerous over influence of Birmingham City Council. I'm not going to be silenced by abuse particularly when the thread I'm commenting on seems mainly to concern the dangers of frnqchise cricket when in effect Warwickshire have already given up the ghost on that one.
Nothing wrong in being positively negative :)

Seriously, with so many poor performances this season it is so easy to criticise and complain. As I have been unable to see the team play this season I have, hopefully, restricted my comments. However, something needs to be done ready for next season - what that is I will leave to others to suggest.
LE - aka John
But this thread was about the future of county cricket?

I haven't commented on the playing side because these things change and we have reached a Lord's final. I've attended most championship games this season and the performances have been mixed. We need a big effort against Lancashire.

My concern is with the way the Club is being run. We seem to have lost the influence of those who really care about WCCC. Priorities have been skewed and we now have three confusing brands being promoted and astonishingly have renamed out actual club for one competition. I see that Save Our Counties site use unpopularity of Birmingham Bears on Facebook as an example and I'm not surprised.

If you want solutions. Mine would be to bite the bullet and sort some sort of deal with the city council to hand over Edgbaston to either the city council or a private company. Then use money accrued to build a new first class headquarters for Warwickshire somewhere central in the county like Coventry. Play test matches and T20 at Edgbaston and allow the city council the influence they desire to promote Birmigham and retain Warwickshire's identity at a new purpose first class HQ centrally located in the county.
I have a feeling that's where we're heading. At some time in the future - maybe 2020, maybe 2030 - there will be a franchise based T20 competition and a semi-professional County Championship with fairly little cross-over between the two. This seems to be what the ECB are actively conniving at although I wonder if they've thought through what that does to Test match cricket. Our CEO may be playing a decent game by being one of the few county bosses that are cosying up to Mr CostCutter, at least Edgbaston might get a franchise. Headingley and The Oval might find themselves cut out altogether.
Unfortunately I have seen so many of our performances this season. The problem has been similar to previous seasons 1)No consistent opening partnerships 2)Quality players giving away their wickets when they look well set 3)The same players getting out before they have played themselves in 4)Squandering good match positions through either over confidence or looking too far ahead in that particular game. As we know, the game is not played on paper otherwise we would win more games but the frustration is seeing lesser teams make us look stupid. There is no easy answer but in my opinion the players we have young or older have to be given a 'Rocket up the backside' and told of their responsibilities and to start playing or be told that they will be replaced. The problem is we could replace them with younger players of less ability and it could make things worse but that is the problem with having had no one apart from Hain of the youngsters who has made some impression. If your real 'Star' players are performing, you can afford to almost 'Carry' a youngster because you don't notice too much if they fail if the overall team performance is good. When Martin Crowe first played for New Zealand, he found it hard to get a decent score but because the rest of the team were playing really well (NZ had the 2nd best playing record in the 1980's after W.I), he could afford to just stay in the team and build his career with no outside pressure. We could give Lamb, Mellor, Webb etc a place in the side but only if the rest of the team play well and they come in to a winning environment. Anyway that's what I think but it comes down to batting mainly but don't see too many bowlers coming through either. It is worrying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Warleybear
Warwickshire have also have a very nice little ground over near Portland Road... a wonderful venue that has be saved after years without first class cricket. With the champions trophy next year, who knows, the Bears may even play a game there. Im actually very positive about the clubs future....yes there are challenges. .. but the whole county structure faces that. Im actually a bit more concerned about performances and the coaching structure at the moment.

With regards to performances... on paper we have a good team... but sadly actual performances have not matched perceived ability. Changes will be needed.
Having read many articles on 'Outgrounds', the main problem that other counties seem to have is the expense of putting these games on and as we know only too well, that is what appears to count above all things now in county cricket. I would love nothing better than to see us play a home game away from Edgbaston which has a cold pavilion even on a hot day and just looks lost with a few spectators in. At least in a small ground we might get a better atmosphere and who knows we might attract a few locals who have not been a game before. To get the best possible revenue though we might have to do something that the ECB numpties don't want us to do - Play on a Saturday and Sunday.
(10-09-2016, 09:48 AM)Jon Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 11:35 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 12:17 AM)Jon Wrote: No please don't keep misrepresenting what I say.

That was actually on a different thread and my point was that primarily we are Warwickshire. The Bears thing is a relatively recent phenomenon and derives from warwickshire's coat of arms.

Instead of becoming obsessed with everything I write and abusive why don't you write your own views?

My concerns are well founded and the very identity of the club is under threat at the moment given the unmanageable debt and dangerous over influence of Birmingham City Council. I'm not going to be silenced by abuse particularly when the thread I'm commenting on seems mainly to concern the dangers of frnqchise cricket when in effect Warwickshire have already given up the ghost on that one.

OK
Proud to be a Bear
(09-09-2016, 09:01 PM)Terry Wrote: A hard-hitting article by George:

Excellent article from George, as always. Can we put him in charge of county cricket?
Proud to be a Bear
I dont always agree with George... but he us smack on the money with his conclusion "One day, and it may not be a distant day, the spectators will tire of the £6 pints, the soggy chips, the slack over rates that short-change them of their £90 Test tickets and spend their money elsewhere."