Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
So lets get this straight:

The chances of staging a day/night test at Edgbaston next season are rated at about 50/50. The ECB seem to be much happier with the idea of staging one in London.

There is - at best - lukewarm enthusiasm from the players. Both those that have played and those yet to participate.

There has been no canvassing of members or supporters of the club to see whether the proposal has any support. Members who have already shelled out for their season's entertainment were given no indication at the time they paid their money that this was even a possibility.

There will - given the past record of the club - be little or no marketing of the event beyond desultory adverts on the scoreboards inside the ground.

Conditions are likely to be extremely unfavourable for watching cricket after dark in late September:

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/birmin...ds/gb.aspx

Given all of this our chief exec seems determined to press ahead with the idea.

There was a comment earlier in this thread - or may have been another one - about stopping trying to design the world the way you'd like it to be but to work with what you've got. This is a prime example.

If there is a genuine worry about flogging tickets for the WI test next year here's an idea - drop the fsking prices and watch the punters flock in!
Twenty is plenty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly the signs of bad test attendances next year are already there - day / night cricket may get them through the next series - but once the novelty has gone? The race for the £100 test ticket may still be on for the Ashes - but the world is now a different place for all other Test sand ODI's. Add the food, day off and travel and for many it is expensive. I used to go to all days of a match a few years ago - that stopped when price inflation meant buying a ticket for me and my wife for four days was more expensive than going to Spain. I also felt that I was supporting Test cricket to be usurped by the once every few years Ashes boyzzzzz.

As for the championship - I have no problem with a game being played later into the evening in June and I may try one in late August .... but later in the season the appeal diminishes.

My real annoyance is that I still cant find a big screen outside the ground saying what games are on, costs, state of play etc..... The screen should pull people in - Bell's on 192 - its 5pm and its FREE for the final hour. That might interest a mother with two sons in Cannon hill park? if there are spare seats at the test, make it £ 5 for the final session type thing. They've even removed the old sign at the far end of the ground near the road so you have no idea what's happening unless you are an ardent supporter. E-Marketing isn't the only tool in the box!

I could go on - but I'm getting really folked off by it all. Its becoming repetitive year after year.....The game will end up it killing itself as each winter waves good bye to a few more of our older members, with the game removing itself from the public consciousness.
The county game desperately needs to go back to that tried and trusted Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon schedule with a knockout cup competition played every other Wednesday but the players just won't have it
Someone coined the phrase - if it aint broke don't fix it. Well in my book cricket certainly wasn't broke in the 1990s.

Cricketers need to be reminded they are not just sportsmen , they are in the entertainment business as well.
LE - aka John
Indeed LE.... 16 X 4 days plus 14 X T20 plus 8 X 50... if we charitably say T20 equals half a day then at worse that's 79 days play in approximately 150 days without days lost for rain, early finishes or not being picked etc.
interesting / worrying details from Surrey's messageboard

RG confirmed that Surrey have had to sign a non-disclosure agreement with the ECB regarding city franchises. He could therefore only discuss what was in the public domain, but this wasn't really a problem as what's in the public domain was true. He referred to George Dobble's article on Cricinfo – which was tweeted by the Club's official Twitter feed the previous evening – as "the best exposé".

RG claimed: "The ECB don't want Surrey to play in the premier T20 tournament".

A County T20 competition would continue alongside the city franchise competition, but in RG's opinion this was second tier.

There would be "eight super teams, selected by the ECB", and RG believes that the ECB wants to take control of the County game. His concern was what would happen after the initial four-year deal, and would the ECB then try to force the same model on the Championship.

He said that decision-makers need to think of what is good for the sport, and queried whether the likes of Sam Curran would break into a team if there were only eight teams, each with four overseas players. There would be 140 fewer places for English players.

Surrey are going to need some help as the ECB "seems quite determined" and there is a split between the Counties, as some have financial difficulties and want the cash. Northamptonshire have an extraordinary general meeting next week to convert from a members' club to a company owned by private investors.

Once the non-disclosure agreement has expired, Surrey will put the options to its members.

He did not want Surrey to become just a venue to host cricket, and said: "We don't want to be like the MCC".
(26-08-2016, 11:59 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: interesting / worrying details from Surrey's messageboard

He did not want Surrey to become just a venue to host cricket, and said: "We don't want to be like the MCC".

Good for the guy from Surrey but that's effectively what has already happened to Warwickshire given Birmingham Bears nonsense and branding of Edgbaston but not Warwickshire everywhere around the ground 

For us that train seems to have gone already and given the mismanagement of the finances I can't see any change anytime soon. At least franchise cricket puts all the other counties in the same position as us and something might actually be done to protect county cricket
(26-08-2016, 11:59 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: interesting / worrying details from Surrey's messageboard

Good for the guy from Surrey but that's effectively what has already happened to Warwickshire given Birmingham Bears nonsense and branding of Edgbaston but not Warwickshire everywhere around the ground 

For us that train seems to have gone already and given the mismanagement of the finances I can't see any change anytime soon. At least franchise cricket puts all the other counties in the same position as us and something might actually be done to protect county cricket
(28-08-2016, 09:24 PM)Jon Wrote:

Mismanagement of the finances? I assume you mean for the whole of the county structure rather than it allegedly happening just at Edgbaston? Rightly or wrongly (and that's down to opinion) I thought due to ICC and ECB rules on international stadium we had to redevelop Edgbaston with its leaky roof etc. to meet those criteria which were set fairly high? To do that a number of UK test venues borrowed millions on ground redevelopment. From memory we borrowed a lot of our money thanks to the council. Perhaps my memory is wrong?

As for all the proposed changes..... We seem to hear them every year and nothing really changes... So perhaps we can be content that nothing will happen again.... in the same way we can be sure that either one of leics, Derbyshire or Northants will win the championship wooden spoon or that the sun will rise in the east and set in the west? Perhaps we will go the same way as rugby league two decades ago with its 'super' league? Who knows....

Talking of Northants and that extraordinary meeting.... I wonder how things will pan out for them during these uncertain times?
They took on a debt they couldn't afford and over stretched themselves.

As a consequence the Club has now sold its soul and Councillors are on the Committee, the City End has been renamed, the County Ground has been renamed, the 20/20 team has been renamed and the Club is effectively instructed by a City Council which is only a component part of the wider county.

The Club did need new pavilion facilities for media, players, corporate entertainment yet but it could and should have ben more sensibly managed and financed.

As a consequence debt wise we are probably in the worst position of any county. Completely and totally reliant on an authority which does not share the same outlook or interests as the cricket club.
(29-08-2016, 09:14 PM)Jon Wrote: They took on a debt they couldn't afford and over stretched themselves.

As a consequence the Club has now sold its soul and Councillors are on the Committee, the City End has been renamed, the County Ground has been renamed, the 20/20 team has been renamed and the Club is effectively instructed by a City Council which is only a component part of the wider county.

The Club did need new pavilion facilities for media, players, corporate entertainment yet but it could and should have ben more sensibly managed and financed.

As a consequence debt wise we are probably in the worst position of any county. Completely and totally reliant on an authority which does not share the same outlook or interests as the cricket club.

I think 'mismanagement' is a very strong word to use. You really don't like the Club's officers do you? Any suggestions as to alternatives?
Good post Marina & I can tell you Jon, financially Yorkshire are worse off than us& they have won back to back championships and may yet win a3rd,as for name changes, get over it!, we are still Warwickshire in proper cricket
5000 at Headingley
6000 at Edgbaston

County cricket really needs to take a hard look at itself and ask why

We need to ditch the pointless group stages of the 50 over thingy

Instead we need a knockout 50 over cup which starts with 32 teams, plays every other week on a weekday and builds momentum so you get 10-15'000 at semi finals and then a full house at the final like we used to

We also need a proper 40 over League back to help popularise the county sides.

Play this on Saturdays from April through June so the Championship can start on the Sunday (which has proved popular) then switch to Sundays from July to enable T20 finals Day and Monday starts in the Championship in high summer/holidays.

T20 can then have it's block or fit in on Thurs/Fri nights
The sad thing is Sky actually said yesterday that it was a good crowd at Edgbaston. 6000 a good crowd in a city with over 1m people on a sunny bank holiday - I don't think so.

What we need is consistency so people know when to expect a game to be on and it needs advertising. As WB has mentioned many times why no advertising outside the ground ?
LE - aka John
I went on Monday ... and a BH Monday with glorious weather should be half full at least. It wasn't. It was an excellent game - a semi final - but people weren't interested. The attendance looked OK ... similar to a Pro 40 game of a decade ago. To be honest 50 over cricket cant kindle most people imagination anymore with an attendance that was little better than if it had been a BH championship day. I don't want to bang on about 50 over cricket - but if you are going to have it, then it should complement the CC and T20 by being played as a knockout tournament.... with a big July final at Lords. But there's the rub - England want players to play 50 over cricket,; and with straight knockout there are limitations. Perhaps a B&H style tournament with minor cc and mini leagues quickly building to knock out from April to July?

As for the board outside LE - so many possibilities. The days leading up to yesterday were crying out for one. Even yesterday afternoon if it had said Bears 238 - Bell XX not out ..... Mid afternoon special £ 5 children £1 Could have had some video highlights on the board. Pull people in from Cannon Hill park. Most people had no idea what was going on - perhaps even thought it was sold out!

But I go on and on about this .... and sadly nothing happens. If anyone knows anyone of influence at Edgbaston - can they please mention DIGITAL SIGNAGE!!!!! :-)
Totally agree WB good idea. Would also agree with your point as well LE 6000 is dissapointing in a city this size, and the population of the west midlands, and the wider county of Warwickshire to. With us having aprox 4000 members you would think every member would of been there yesterday with the good weather, being a bank holiday as well, and kids for free. Unless of course members were ill or working. Same would also apply to people on here who give there opinions.
I understand that the club did apply for permission to instal a large digital sign board in 2014 but the City Council planners turned it down.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Thanks Terry... If you know someone there, kick them in the ball$ and tell them WB said apply again... Perhaps a slightly different size, location? They've got rid of the old next fixture one and replaced it with folk all. If Sandwell allows all those dangerous digital signs along the M5, I'm sure there must be a way for our friends at Birmingham City Council to allow us to promote ourselves and this fine city. They've allowed a big one across broad street and other places.

I may have to go to the AGM on this one..... Someone needs to pull their finger out...... This is critically important IMHO!! As I've said.... If anyone knows someone there mention it. I'm going to write to our chief exec and marketing guy.
(29-08-2016, 09:54 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Good post Marina & I can tell you Jon, financially Yorkshire are worse off than us& they have won back to back championships and may yet win a3rd,as for name changes, get over it!, we are still Warwickshire in proper cricket

There is no way Yorkshire will ever have to get themselves into such a mess that they have sacrifice their identity and their history because of unmanageable debt.

They just wouldn't do it.

I actually think the people presently running the Club are ok but Povey left a terrible legacy. I don't think present committee can see another way out of being in hoc to Birmingham city council.

Contrast so unfavourably with progressive counties like Surrey and Somerset who take pride in their heritage and adapt without sacrificing their identity.

I actually struggle to think of any any team in any major sport which brands its ground ahead of itself and voluntarily changes its own identity.
Interestingly, both the MCC with Lords.org, and Nottinghamshire with Trentbridge.co.uk use their home as the main marketing brand.

Also, the are several instances in American Major League sports of clubs totally changing their identities, it's also common in motorsport.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!