Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of County Cricket
(03-08-2016, 01:08 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Then make the tickets cheaper..... the first day is a Wednesday and the ECB should subsidise that. The ECB have a responsibility to act.... Edgbaston is a ground famous for its crowds and atmosphere. It happened before - several years ago against SA - so we all know the problems. Yes Friday is a sell out..... But to be honest, whatever the club may say, ticket sales aren't clever for Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday at the moment. A visit to the Edbaston web site shows that.

The ECB needs to do more to get people into the ground. If I could get a ticket for £ 10 after 2pm, I'd go this afternoon...... but they wont..... they will allow loads of empty plastic seats to flap in the wind. Not good for Test cricket ..... Someone needs to take a grip.

In fact I might go this afternoon and ask if they will sell me a ticket to watch the last four hours for £ 10. The whole thing makes me angry - Test cricket is important..... crowds add to the vibrancy and occasion!!!

£10 members  £15 general public for quarter final v Essex ,excellent  value
Why not let Members in for free against Essex as a reward for their loyalty?

As for franchise cricket I'd actually welcome it. My objection as always been to Warwickshire CCC playing as Birmingham. if all the sides play as cities with different ownership I'm not so annoyed.

The logical long term solution is to sell Edgbaston to the city council given the debt etc. Let them stage tests and T20.

Warwickshire CCC then develop a new ground near Coventry and use it for first class and 50 over matches. Ultimately everybody will be happier and it will put an end to the three brand madness.
(03-08-2016, 12:07 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Would you have expected a full ground for the first day of a test on a Wednesday 10/20/30 years ago though? Friday is almost sold out.

10/20/30 years ago a not so greedy ECB would not have started a test match on any other day than a Thursday. Also England v Pakistan would have been a sell out given the fact there are away supporters as well as home supporters.
LE - aka John
Save Test Cricket - Twenty is plenty!!!
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/cont...50141.html

Apparently we want to trial a day/night Championship match before the end of the season with a view to the test against West Indies next year being played under floodlights. We were the first to play a one day match under floodlights, will we also be the first to play a championship match under them?
Proud to be a Bear
George reviews the options here:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/cont...50141.html
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I can't see the ECB and / or Lancashire sanctioning a trial in a Championship game if there's anything riding on it. And we probably won't know that until a few days before the game.

Personally I'm not keen. In particular I don't fancy sitting out after 6pm on a September evening.

PS. Is there any evidence that people will go down after work to watch 2-3 hours of a Test Match? It's a whole different matter to going along to a T20.
Worth trialling but as stated in the piece there are issues.

For one, the temperature. We were very fortunate on Tuesday to have the type of day where you could walk home or to the hotel after the game in shorts and a t-shirt. We only have that a handful of days each year at best.

For a session of total darkness they would have to schedule in early September and the final session would have to be 8pm till 10pm - running the risk of it being too cold in the evening.

Television ratings will dictate this. As the test series follows the county game in being shunted to the periphery of the season to make way for a 7 week Big Bash (with presumably naff all else to watch while it is on) it might work.

I can also see Middlesex and especially Surrey wanting to have games like this in the championship on a regular basis if the trial works
temperature, weather and dew all make it not a good option for the UK.

I suppose they could think about early July starting at 8pm finishing at 2 in the morning !!
LE - aka John
The audience for 4 day cricket is 70% at least retired people. Do they want to be watching cricket after 9.00pm on an Autumn evening and then going home on public transport? As usual the members are not consulted and i feel most members feel completely disconnected from the club. With the inevitable result they will cease to be members.
(25-08-2016, 09:15 PM)parkfield bear Wrote: The audience for 4 day cricket is 70% at least retired people. Do they want to be watching cricket after 9.00pm on  an Autumn evening and then going home on public transport? As usual the members are not consulted and i feel most members feel completely disconnected from the club. With the inevitable result  they will cease to be members.

Yes its just about money isn't it. How many warm summer nights do we have in year 5 or 6 maybe?

(25-08-2016, 09:15 PM)parkfield bear Wrote: The audience for 4 day cricket is 70% at least retired people. Do they want to be watching cricket after 9.00pm on  an Autumn evening and then going home on public transport? As usual the members are not consulted and i feel most members feel completely disconnected from the club. With the inevitable result  they will cease to be members.

Yes its just about money isn't it. How many warm summer nights do we have in year 5 or 6 maybe?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but is the reason that the audience is so predominantly retired people because most of the play takes place during working hours in the middle of the working week?
Proud to be a Bear
During June and July, it might be worth trying to start championship games at 12 noon and play though to about 8-8:30, which would allow people to see a good 2-3 hours of play after work.

Yes, it can get colder during the evening, but you simply have to be prepared and take a warm coat with you.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Full marks for trying something different but reports that the pink balls can't be made to swing suggest that there is some way to go before we should see them as suitable for first class cricket let alone Test matches. I'm not happy that our management seem gung ho about the idea despite the evidence that it could damage the quality of the cricket. When trying to sell seats the quality of the play matters as well as the playing hours.
(26-08-2016, 02:20 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but is the reason that the audience is so predominantly retired people because most of the play takes place during working hours in the middle of the working week?

When play starts on Sunday, the crowd is still 70% pensioners. T20 fans are not going to attend 4 day cricket, they are a different animal. T20 is 13 years old and  i seldom recognise anyone on a Friday night who attends 4 day cricket., i know several members who cannot attend Friday matches because of the timings of the games. Without your own  transport people resent being asked and  feel vulnerable travelling through Birmingham on a Friday evening after 10pm. Why cant games start at 6pm? The club obviously has no interest in the views of their most loyal members. They are chasing a mythical new audience and in the process upsetting their most faithful followers. I have been a member for over 50 years and am so disillusioned with the way the game is going i am seriously considering resigning my membership. Less first class cricket and more T20, 50 0ver cricket played in April, probably under lights on cold evenings is not attractive to me. Cricket is a game that should be played in daylight when the weather is better and at Weekends when working people can watch.
Start days,timings and formats will always be an issue depending on people's lifestyles and preferences
(26-08-2016, 09:41 AM)parkfield bear Wrote:
(26-08-2016, 02:20 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote:

When play starts on Sunday, the crowd is still 70% pensioners. T20 fans are not going to attend 4 day cricket, they are a different animal. T20 is 13 years old and  i seldom recognise anyone on a Friday night who attends 4 day cricket., i know several members who cannot attend Friday matches because of the timings of the games. Without your own  transport people resent being asked and  feel vulnerable travelling through Birmingham on a Friday evening after 10pm. Why cant games start at 6pm? The club obviously has no interest in the views of their most loyal members. They are chasing a mythical new audience and in the process upsetting their most faithful followers. I have been a member for over 50 years and am so disillusioned with the way the game is going i am seriously considering resigning my membership. Less first class cricket and more T20, 50 0ver cricket played in April, probably under lights on cold evenings is not attractive to me. Cricket is a game that should be played in daylight when the weather is better and at Weekends when working people can watch.
100% agree its totally mythical. The young people who are students of the game will always find time to come to the longer format.

(26-08-2016, 05:34 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: During June and July, it might be worth trying to start championship games at 12 noon and play though to about 8-8:30, which would allow people to see a good 2-3 hours of play after work.

Yes, it can get colder during the evening, but you simply have to be prepared and take a warm coat with you.

Yes, put a warm coat on and pretend you're enjoying it
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
What cricket needs is a set timetable. In the days of the 4 day game being held on Thurs, Fri Sat and Monday with a 40 over game held on Sunday attendances were good - and excellent on the Sunday afternoon. Then the players moaned about changing formats half way through the 4 day game.

Nowadays 4 day games start on various days of the week. The 50 over game seems to be fitted in on whatever day of the week is free. The T20 at least has a Friday night slot which is not such a good idea in cities with the traffic nor is it attractive for families.
LE - aka John