Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
County Championship 2015
Outgrounds are sadly over for the bears.... the 2006 carry on regardless disaster saw to that. I could weep over that... remember...no thoughts about a festival... just cherry pick the fixtures with Warne and Pieterson and think that will work... Bar the odd one day game, the brilliant Portland road facility being brought back will mean an end to that discussion.

As for first-class cricket... we must once again disagree. Four day two divisional cricket is thrilling compared to the meaningless one dimensional tosh I saw particularly in the 70s, 80s and 90s that produced generally poor England sides

The four day game is not responsible for high prices....
Won't Portland road be an outground? With a 12 match county championship likely to be introduced by 2019 outgrounds wont be needed.

Intetesting point Paul and not one I had thought about...

I still believe the four day game to be exciting and supperior in so many ways to the three day game. There are also those who believe that Test matches should have the number of days reduced... I am again not one of them....
Pretty sure our grounds will come back given its such an obvious solution

Not so sure 3 day cricket will return but I am certain it produced a higher quality of cricket than that played at present

The two divisions are an artificial creation and don't reflect true hierarchy given the transient nature of the game.
The Portland Road thing is a white elephant

The club were effectively given the ground. It will likely only be used for age group cricket

I'm not even certain it is in the County. Could well be in Staffordshire
No its in Ladywood I think. Birmingham postcode.

Ladywood would be ok but I saw smethwick somewhere which would be Staffordshire
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell...rs'_Ground
Smethwick used to be in Staffs but now its in the West Midlands. The counties were redefined in the 70s. The house i grew up in in Great Barr was on the border of staffs and Warwicks, now its west midlands.

This might be interesting ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/29832341

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/cont...56789.html
I think its such a shame we don't play in different areas of the county. I really liked Stratford. If you get bored of the cricket you can always do some sightseeing.

yes agreed. .. but that needed vision... like an end of season festival... as you say... thats now probably gone.

Anyway... My main point was that I believe we should not return to three day one division cricket. But, I'll go with what's best for the game.
we're never going to return to 3 day cricket, just as we will never return to 40 over cricket.

I don't think you can completely rule out 3 day cricket as an option or as a way of preserving the 16 match county championship. Most members I suggest would prefer some 3 day matches rather than a reduction in matches.

Also a return to one single division wouldn't necessarily result in less competitive cricket. Taking the fear of relegation away might free some counties up a little, enable them to invest time in developing young players. Worcestershire (for instance) would cease to be a yo-yo side, could have a strategy for long term development not simply fire fighting each season.
West mids was only ever an administrative county.

The traditional counties remain especially for sporting purposes

Smethwick is definitely Staffordshire
Important period this,following this match it's Yorkshire,still the best side in the country,then a trip to the early pace setters Durham,the worst side I've seen@ Edgbaston this season,followed by the visit of a rejuvenated Somerset
(28-06-2015, 01:01 AM)Jon Wrote: West mids was only ever an administrative county.

The traditional counties remain especially for sporting purposes

Smethwick is definitely Staffordshire

Regardless of which county the Portland Road ground is, or was, located in, Warwickshire played first-class fixtures there in the 1930s and again in the 1950s.

And a quote from Colin Povey in December 2014 -  "By 2017 we hope the facility will be good enough to host the odd first team game if we need to. "
"Look at the results. Look at the table. Everything else is just opinion"
I think bringing this historic first class ground back into use is a fantastic thing... Whatever your views of boundaries and formats.
As I say it was given to them. Council and contractors were desperate to get someone to take it on

It will be useful for age group matches but I will believe it when I see it with regard to first class cricket
Yes but its not taking the game around the county anyway. Lancashire have Liverpool, Southport and Blackpool. We get Ladywood. Great scenery