Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
County Championship 2015
(09-06-2015, 01:54 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I seem to remember a period when 100 over limit applied to first innings. The drawback was that a side that got to, say, 350 for one didn't have the chance to really press their advantage. Compare this to Safety Cars in Formula 1 where the leader ends up brought back to the pack for no fault of his own. All very artificial. Personally, I like the opportunity 4 day cricket brings for batsmen to build a really big innings. There are plenty of other opportunities to see how good they are at slogging.

The main problem I recall with 3 day games was the weather. Too many were truncated by rain and bad light. That seems to be rare with 4 day games.

The 100 over limit certainly applied in 1974 - that was the reason for our club second wicket stand being curtailed (474 between Jameson and Kanhai). The limit was brought in to encourage more results in 3-day cricket, but I don't remember whether it lasted more than one season.
"Look at the results. Look at the table. Everything else is just opinion"
(09-06-2015, 04:03 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Perhaps, Terry, I used the wrong words - what I was aiming at is the fact that by June most teams had no chance of winning the championship  and the incentive to win games had reduced as a result.

Yes, I agree with this, though there was a season (?1978) when Kent were bottom of the Championship in July and won it.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
3 day cricket is definitely the way forward and one division.

cricket was much more attractive and it brought better captaincy as sides couldn't just plough on they had to use strategy and their brains.
Yes Jon when teams get worried about losing pts to the opposition it takes away the purpose of the game really. I agree the one problem with three day cricket is the weather. One division cricket was better because divisional cricket has created an inbalance which is bad for county cricket.
(09-06-2015, 08:31 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes Jon when teams get worried about losing pts to the opposition it takes away the purpose of the game really. I agree the one problem with three day cricket is the weather. One division cricket was better because divisional cricket has created an inbalance which is bad for county cricket.

And sides had to get on with the game because of the time limit. So typically a side batting first would be looking to declaring with forty minutes left to play on day one so that they could get half an hour to bowl at the opposition. 

There were proper tactics and captaincy shaping a game. Not playing by numbers which is what seems to happen now and just batting aimlessly as long and as slow as possible.
(09-06-2015, 07:38 PM)Jon Wrote: 3 day cricket is definitely the way forward and one division.

cricket was much more attractive and it brought better captaincy as sides couldn't just plough on they had to use strategy and their brains.

Im sorry its 4 day divisional cricket... im afraid I dont have the same golden memories of championship cricket in the 70s and 80s... there were some excellent games, but a lot of meaningless dross was served up. A return to one division would be a disaster imho.... hastening the day of super leagues or franchising. 3 days did have it positives... but 4 day games seem more of a real competative test and less about contrived results.... to me ... a one division 3 day championship is the start of a slippery slope that certainly wouldnt help England or the counties themselves.
Er, wasn't it 3 day cricket that gave us Brian Close's creative captaincy of only bowling 3 overs in half an hour (or something like that) in order to scrape a few points for a draw? He couldn't have done that if there had still been another day to go. My memories of 3 day games are far more of contrived results to counter rain delays than they are of a golden age of captaincy.
(09-06-2015, 04:57 PM)Kev Wrote:
(09-06-2015, 01:54 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I seem to remember a period when 100 over limit applied to first innings. The drawback was that a side that got to, say, 350 for one didn't have the chance to really press their advantage. Compare this to Safety Cars in Formula 1 where the leader ends up brought back to the pack for no fault of his own. All very artificial. Personally, I like the opportunity 4 day cricket brings for batsmen to build a really big innings. There are plenty of other opportunities to see how good they are at slogging.

The main problem I recall with 3 day games was the weather. Too many were truncated by rain and bad light. That seems to be rare with 4 day games.

The 100 over limit certainly applied in 1974 - that was the reason for our club second wicket stand being curtailed (474 between Jameson and Kanhai). The limit was brought in to encourage more results in 3-day cricket, but I don't remember whether it lasted more than one season.

The 100 over limit in the first innings was in operation between 1974 and 1981. It certainly seems a bit of a bizarre rule these days but then there have been some strange rules in the County Championship, and some confusing ones like this one from 1957: "Two points for first-innings lead in a drawn or lost match, 2 bonus points for the team leading on first innings if it also scores faster by runs per over, where there is no play on the first two thirds of a match which is not played beyond the first innings, 8 points for the side leading on first innings."

More can be found here (even if it is a bit dated):

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/NATION...STORY.html
Proud to be a Bear
Interesting EB...

GB... Im glad someone else remembers it that way. .. for me removing 4 day cricket with promotion and relegation would be an act of vandalism leading to the destruction of the longer format of the game.
(09-06-2015, 09:33 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Er, wasn't it 3 day cricket that gave us Brian Close's creative captaincy of only bowling 3 overs in half an hour (or something like that) in order to scrape a few points for a draw? He couldn't have done that if there had still been another day to go. My memories of 3 day games are far more of contrived results to counter rain delays than they are of a golden age of captaincy.

Yes but then they introduced a minimum number of overs in the last hour so has nothing to do with 3 day cricket really. People knock contrived cricket but it did produce some memorable final days.  I vaguely remember when 4 day cricket was first introduced many people thought it was a bad idea. We have to look at attracting a new audience to the longer format and I don't think the way forward is batting for a day and half to eek out 400 against tired bowlers is the way to do that.  It could totally die a death in 20 years time unless something is done. 
At the risk of becoming as repetitive as Mugabe, I fear that cricket's administrators are obsessed with finding get rich quick schemes which don't exist. New formats will bring in massive crowds (no). Every county ground deserves an Ashes test match every year (no). If all else fails, pour more concrete and become a " business venue" (no). Why can't we just get on with playing cricket - which is a game of two innings played with a red ball. Isn't that what a cricket club is supposed to do?
(09-06-2015, 09:51 PM)Paul Wrote:
(09-06-2015, 09:33 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Er, wasn't it 3 day cricket that gave us Brian Close's creative captaincy of only bowling 3 overs in half an hour (or something like that) in order to scrape a few points for a draw? He couldn't have done that if there had still been another day to go. My memories of 3 day games are far more of contrived results to counter rain delays than they are of a golden age of captaincy.

Yes but then they introduced a minimum number of overs in the last hour so has nothing to do with 3 day cricket really. People knock contrived cricket but it did produce some memorable final days.  I vaguely remember when 4 day cricket was first introduced many people thought it was a bad idea. We have to look at attracting a new audience to the longer format and I don't think the way forward is batting for a day and half to eek out 400 against tired bowlers is the way to do that.  It could totally die a death in 20 years time unless something is done. 

Yes so true. we have sterile era at the moment where unthinking sides play out four day cricket.

Captaincy, tactics and entertainment were higher in three day cricket.

For county standard sides three days is more than enough for a game of cricket 

But also crazy that so much first class cricket is played in April and September now. It is called first class cricket for a reason.
Just back from Taunton where Somerset topped 400 in the last innings to scrape home by 2 wickets against Notts.  A fascinating morning's cricket and a great advert for the county game.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Here's hoping for rain up at Durham.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(17-06-2015, 03:46 PM)Lilly Wrote: Here's hoping for rain up at Durham.

I'm not sure that would be particularly helpful, given that the match is at Arundel! Biggrin
Proud to be a Bear
(17-06-2015, 04:01 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(17-06-2015, 03:46 PM)Lilly Wrote: Here's hoping for rain up at Durham.

I'm not sure that would be particularly helpful, given that the match is at Arundel! Biggrin

I just wanted you to get soaked  Angel
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Leics, Derbys and Worcs all well and truely tonked this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33151764

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33129374

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33143488

You can fiddle with the format... but that weakens the first class game.

Three day one divisional cricket would be the biggest threat to the first class game. It appeases the weak chaff. 4 days cricket with promotion and relegation is thrilling.... played by competative sides, then there is nothing better. The closest thing to test match cricket.

Congratulations to Somerset for a wonderful run chase.
No 3 day cricket would bring back strategy tactics and higher standards!

It has to be the way forward. 4 day cricket is sterile

Why on earth aren't we playing first class cricket today? Gorgeous day at the height of summer

Schedule is madness
I ask myself the same question.... There is too little cricket of any format played at weekend.

But I totally disagree with your comments over four and three day cricket. The three day game would bring a rapid denouement of first class cricket. 4 day cricket is like a test match ... Competitive sides that battle over four days to win games .... Three day one division cricket was very sub standard... Contrived..The real enemy of county cricket.
The enemy of county cricket is sterile 4 day cricket, lack of entertainment and tactics and too high prices

3 day cricket would improve the product and massively improve players tactics and skills

Oh and bring back out grounds and take the game to the people. That really would support county cricket

Lack of respect for Nuneaton Coventry and Rugby et al is astonishing especially given the players these places produce