Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
County Championship 2015
(06-06-2015, 07:42 PM)Paul Wrote: You must be driving faster than Lewis Hamiliton if you can do 63 miles in 20 minutes  Biggrin

Worcester to Bristol is 62.9 miles... 

The county boarder... but ill test the bristol trip next time.... ill say Paul told me to test it  Angel
I like many people, not just in Warwickshire, developed their love of cricket when they could get to their local counties ground after school. do we really want to deprive our young people the chance of developing a life long love of the game by depriving them the chance to go and watch the sport in a safe local environment?

As I've said before we need to be expanding and spreading the sport, and allowing people more opportunity to watch the game at a professional level not contracting the competition and reducing the potential customer base.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Exactly... whilst we prune in high density low achieving areas (eg. Northants, Leics, Derbys) we expand elsewhere... Win Win by maximising the use of resources and letting areas like East Anglia have first class cricket... Durham is an example of what can be achieved.
(06-06-2015, 08:51 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 07:42 PM)Paul Wrote: You must be driving faster than Lewis Hamiliton if you can do 63 miles in 20 minutes  Biggrin

Worcester to Bristol is 62.9 miles... 

The county boarder... but ill test the bristol trip next time.... ill say Paul told me to test it  Angel

I would never recommend driving  at 200 mph on the m5
(06-06-2015, 09:07 PM)Warleybear Wrote:  Win Win by maximising the use of resources and letting areas like East Anglia have first class cricket...  

Having read your comments on here over the years I suspect that's where your real loyalties lie. Fair enough.

As for Leicestershire I suspect they have contributed more England cricketers than Warwickshire in recent years. And they've certainly produced a fair number of players we have pinched. They've contributed hugely to the game over the years. A great shame they don't use Hinckley for Warwickshire fixtures and us use Nuneaton vice versa to really boost crowds.
Broad, Taylor, Gower. How many leiceister players can we name that have played for England.
The spreading of the game to more areas of the country is important IMHO... as with Durham nearly 30 years ago. Yes ir was difficult... but look what was achieved. To do so, we may need to combine some counties. Why should Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk, Suffolk be starved of first class cricket yet we argue about whether Stratford is fit to hold a game? It is time to review the county structure and not to implement some franchise system... we need to sort out the constant also runs and expand the game elsewhere. County cricket in Leics, Derbys and Notts will need to be reviewed at some point. Its better we engage in that conversstion now... we cant be stuck in the past. Belive me... this discussion is being held by many administrators behind closed doors.We mustnt be negative about reviewing and expanding the first class game?
County members I speak to say to me'why can't they leave the county championship alone',4day cricket is more popular than theECB&1 or2 on here would like to believe,most Bears games this yr.have produced some fascinating cricket with the games fluctuating1 way then the other, you can't expect edge of the seat stuff every ball, people that understand the game appreciate that&not everyT 20 slog is a last ball thriller
But this isnt about T20 ... its about protecting and expanding the first class game. To do so, there is a cost.... for example 3 constantly underperforming counties may not be the best way to move forward? Change is coming... lets make it a positive journey. County members are a very conservative group.. thats why I fear a system will be enforced on them... they dont see the train on the track. Lets build rather than end up with franchiseing...
So you're saying you're right&the majority of member are wrong even though they all watch more 1st class cricket 5 hand you?
No... there is no right and wrong.. There is a legitimate discussion to be had on the structure of the game. In an ideal world little would change...
Another point Warley, Worcestershire&Northants,2 counties you want to see swallowed up have been in div.1 more recently than the Surrey 'strugglers'
As I have said ... population, availabity of the game and resources are important. Should there be 3 counties in a small radius that arent very succesful and yet some areas of England have nothing for 100 miles? We need to expand.. but to do so we must prune in some areas. Lets not be excited that Leics won their first game in 1000 days? Is that good for 4 day cricket when there are two smallish counties very close to them too.
You need to show respect for members of these, what you call Mickey Mouse'counties, let them enjoy supporting their local side, as I say when did the Surrey 'strugglers' last win the championship, from a selfish point of view, I'd love to see them fold but that's unfair on their rich, posh members
If you amalgamate counties because they are close to each other and not winning trophies then let's combine Middlesex, Surrey anjd Essex. Nonsense.
LE - aka John
I'm liking this discussion and the more I think about a three division system the more it starts to appeal. Those old enough to remember the old football league system will know that it was pretty much a closed shop. The club that finished bottom of Division 4 (that's League 2 to you) had to apply for re-election. Usually a formality as none of the other clubs wanted it to happen to them, only once in a blue moon did you get, say, Wigan elected to the league. Now, with a full pyramid of leagues, you get competitive, meaningful football all the way down and the likes of AFC Wimbledon can come from literally nowhere to a league slot.

I wouldn't pretend that non-league football is high quality nor is there much money in it (an issue for the ECB no doubt). But it sure can be entertaining and the ever present prospect of promotion or relegation keeps the interest up. Starting a pyramid of divisions for red ball cricket could be very helpful in keeping it alive.
Good post Grizley.... The discussion is one that has to be had..... It is not about respect.... Leica really has struggled in the four day game.... A 1000 days without a win? In these days of rapidly declining memberships, turkeys will not vote for Christmas. Ideas may be discarded, but I'm afraid change will come. If the counties don't lead the discussion .... Then like King Canute, the water will be around some counties ankles very quickly. We need to rationalise in some areas and expand in others. The system needs to be more open, and not support constant failure..... and yes..... Teams like Surrey may be profitable and in a high population area.... But they do need to look at themselves. Perhaps a more open 3 division system is the way forward? It's all about ideas..... Strengthen the 4 day game and get more of the country involved. Change will come.... Minor tweaks and expansion rather than a major decline please. I quite like Grizzleys idea... Difficult to implement..... But at least a 1000 days of failure won't be celebrated at the expense of others.... It will find its own level.
(06-06-2015, 09:58 PM)Paul Wrote: Broad, Taylor, Gower. How many leiceister players can we name that have played for England.

Broad, Munton, Maddy, MJK Smith, Chris Lewis, Phil DeFreitas, James Whittaker, Alan Mullally off the top of my head
Gurney as well. They have become a feeder club for Notts
Aggers, Les Taylor, Roger Tolchard, Jack Birkinshaw
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!