Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
Rember the 'quota system' imposed on the England selectors, they must include a minimum of 3 players from Surrey, Middlesex & Essex, with at least one always coming from Essex.
As Cook has being dropped, for an even lower performing captain, Bopara is certain to play every match.

(The above may not be 100% totally serious)
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(01-02-2015, 12:30 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: And so I ask again - how long can they go on selecting Bopara?

Our top scorer today! Blush
England got bullied today by a bunch of big guys that smack the ball hard and bowl fast. England can't compete on those terms and Australia would beat them 9 times out of 10. It was disappointing, though, that England never looked like they thought this could be the one day in ten when they could win. Confidence thing, I guess - we know the batsmen (even Morgan and Bopara) can do it on their day but they ain't putting it together at the moment.

The next competitive game is against ... Australia. So we'll get stuffed again in that one and just have to hope the middle order can find its mojo in the remaining group games.
In the Tournament Mogan 5 games 4 Innings 123 Runs Highest 121

Therefore from his other 3 innings he scored a magnificent 2 runs, and average of 0.66
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(01-02-2015, 03:31 PM)Paul Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 12:30 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: And so I ask again - how long can they go on selecting Bopara?

Our top scorer today! Blush

I was looking at the averages over the 5 games and it makes shocking reading.
LE - aka John
If you look at the performances minus the best innings they are horrific in many cases.

It's a good way to see the consistent level of someones contribution without a single high score inaccurately skewing the results.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yes only Bell has a good average. Thinking about our local lads. Bell is fine, Moeen hasn't come off with the bat but nobody could have played that ball today, but he has the second best economy rate out of our bowlers so thats a positive. Woakes I am a little worried about. He's gone from being the first name on the team sheet after Anderson and Broad to being the one most vunerable to loose his place.
Just heard that the BBC have recruited FIGJAM as a commentator for the World Cup. Even I'm wondering whether they deserve to keep the licence fee now. KP, Vaughan, Charlie Dagnall: there's going to be an awful lot of awful commentary in the next few weeks.
(05-02-2015, 09:38 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Just heard that the BBC have recruited FIGJAM as a commentator for the World Cup. Even I'm wondering whether they deserve to keep the licence fee now. KP, Vaughan, Charlie Dagnall: there's going to be an awful lot of awful commentary in the next few weeks.

Agree on FIGJAM and Vaughan - to that add Blofeld and professional celeb Tuffers.

But I do think Charlie Dagnall brings a bit of fresh air to the box.

On the same note I find myself wondering yet again where the BBC's cricket correspondent has been all winter. Seems as though he holds this title in name only as the bulk of the heavy lifting is done by the likes of Dagnall, Simon Mann etc with the estimable Kevin Howells looking after the county circuit. Agnew's BBC work now seems restricted to Tests home and away, the occasional home ODI and just the overseas ICC ODI tournaments. Nice work if you can get it!

I did however happen across a piece written by him adorning the back page of the free newspaper Waitrose give away to their customers.  I assume from this that he's now employed on a freelance basis and thus remunerated by the BBC accordingly - at least that's what I assume! Dodgy
I know where you for FIGJAM from now TGM. A film I watched recently, can't remember the name of it it was mentioned then.
(05-02-2015, 11:05 AM)DaveC Wrote:
(05-02-2015, 09:38 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Just heard that the BBC have recruited FIGJAM as a commentator for the World Cup. Even I'm wondering whether they deserve to keep the licence fee now. KP, Vaughan, Charlie Dagnall: there's going to be an awful lot of awful commentary in the next few weeks.

Agree on FIGJAM and Vaughan - to that add Blofeld and professional celeb Tuffers.

But I do think Charlie Dagnall brings a bit of fresh air to the box.

On the same note I find myself wondering yet again where the BBC's cricket correspondent has been all winter. Seems as though he holds this title in name only as the bulk of the heavy lifting is done by the likes of Dagnall, Simon Mann etc with the estimable Kevin Howells looking after the county circuit. Agnew's BBC work now seems restricted to Tests home and away, the occasional home ODI and just the overseas ICC ODI tournaments. Nice work if you can get it!

I did however happen across a piece written by him adorning the back page of the free newspaper Waitrose give away to their customers.  I assume from this that he's now employed on a freelance basis and thus remunerated by the BBC accordingly - at least that's what I assume! Dodgy
Not sure I agree. Vaughan we dislike for the way he spoke about Trott but he is pretty good and I think KP will be a good addition. Dagnell sorry no he's awful and should stick to ladies cricket. 
Agree about Vaughan& Dagnall,not about Pietersen,he will make it all about him
You are probably right Simon. I think you get more insight from players who have been there and done it than the likes of Dagnell who wasn't even county standard.
Brian Johnson and John Arlott, Paul, far superior than the current lot. I fear another example of the BBC dumbing down. I can see future TMS programmes starting off with five minutes of telling us what's coming up. Then every 15 minutes telling us they are watching a game of cricket.
LE - aka John
I do like Vaughan as a commentator suspect i am in a minority bet hey just my opinion.Bet Graham Swann not to happy about the decision to employ Pieterson as he described his book as a piece of fiction. Enjoyed listining to Swann om TMS last year. Just seen the England world cup shirt, A darker blue with a lion.
Vaughan blatantly promotes the players he has a financial interest in, regardless of their performance. He also sounds very self centered, not quite reaching FIJAM levels, thankfully.

Dagnell, a bit like his playing career, competent, but not someone you'd build a team around. During the recent Tri Series when he was sharing time with what were the ABC's local commentators, it was obvious that the Australian commentators were of a higher quality. Perhaps TMS should have given the chance to some of the good BBC local radio commentators. It would be very interesting to hear someone like Dave Bradley (H&W) or Richard Wilford (WM) given the chance to cover an England tour. with their more rounded personalities, and solid journalistic backgrounds, they'd provide something more than just a description of the play.

I've no desire to listen to FIGJAM, and will be investigating the online options from other countries while he is on air.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Alison .mitchell,sexiest voice of the lot,& surprisingly knowledgable for a girlie!
(05-02-2015, 05:21 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Brian Johnson and John Arlott, Paul, far superior than the current lot. I fear another example of the BBC dumbing down. I can see future TMS programmes starting off with five minutes of telling us what's coming up. Then every 15 minutes telling us they are watching a game of cricket.

No arguments about those two legends. Charlie isn't in their league  Biggrin
(05-02-2015, 06:38 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Alison .mitchell,sexiest voice of the lot,& surprisingly knowledgable for a girlie!

Not in the Rebecca Lowe class as a looker.  Sorry for doing a John Inverdale. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Point I was making, Paul, is the commentators do not have to be past players to be a success and entertaining. I think Sky in the main, have succeeded in their choice of past captains which makes you question why MVP is,I believe the only one not there.
LE - aka John