Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
Australia just too good with their gun bowlers. Best bowling side in the competition won.

Bowlers win tournaments not batsmen

Yes best team won. Would like to have seen New Zealand win. Going into the last 15 overs on 150-3 they were in a decent position but sadly it was all one way traffic from that moment onwards.
Yes criminal not using up all your overs. Maybe New Zealand are just good at home.
I was really looking forward to getting up this morning to see a 2nd innings attempting to chase down a decent score. Soon switched channels to watch Andrew Marr interviewing politicians and have to say it was far more exciting (joke). This world cup has almost turned me off the one day format. Something needs to be introduced to keep the game alive when the result is virtually confirmed half way through. The draw element achieves this in real cricket and something along those lines is needed in the one day games.
LE - aka John
(29-03-2015, 03:29 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I was really looking forward to getting up this morning to see a 2nd innings attempting to chase down a decent score. Soon switched channels to watch Andrew Marr interviewing politicians and have to say it was far more exciting (joke). This world cup has almost turned me off the one day format. Something needs to be introduced  to keep the game alive when the result is virtually confirmed half way through. The draw element achieves this in real cricket and something along those lines is needed in the one day games.

Have to agree. out of - ?49? - games fewer than a handful had anything like a decent finish. Most were effectively over by half time. The bowlers have been neutered by the new regs and bats with a mass-to-weight ratio that means mis-hits now go over the boundary.

What we are now seeing 80% of the time is effectively an extended 20:20 for the first half of the game followed by a capitulation in the second half once the pressure mounts.

Genuinely not sour grapes. England were awful - wrong coach, wrong players, wrong strategy and Australia deserved their win.

But I am getting less and less exercised by international one day cricket as it evolves into a monotonous slugfest.
Perhaps it is time to remove all fielding restrictions and extend the maximum overs per bowler to restore the balance of the game?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(29-03-2015, 05:37 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Perhaps it is time to remove all fielding restrictions and extend the maximum overs per bowler to restore the balance of the game?

Thats been one pf my ideas for some time. If you're going to skew the regs in favour of the batsmen then surely the odds should be evened up. I think 2 nominated bowlers should be allowed unlimitied overs - 1 before play starts, the other during play but before over 20. A sort of bowling powerplay.
Fielding restrictions has to remain. In the early days of the JP League if a scoring rate above 6 an over was required the fielding side simply put all the fielders on the boundary so that all that could be scored were 6s and singles. I do think the leg side wide is too strictly applied. I do like the idea of 1 or 2 bowlers being able to bowl unlimited overs.
LE - aka John
The fielding restrictions have gone too far to give an advantage to the batting side, likewise the 'power plays' are an uneccessay and artificial device that gives an advantage to the batting side.

The game is at its best when it is an equal battle between bat and ball.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I have to agree with Dave about the bats. KP said Warner's bat is so big yet so light. However the reason for one-sided games in my opinon has nothing to do with fielding restictions but that some sides are just far better than others. I mean the final was won by the bowlers of Australia and not the batsmen having everything in their favour. Starc and Johnson are lethal. Nobody else has bowlers who bowl left arm seam over 150 kmh.

Lets see how they do in the ashes.
Test / 4 day cricket, T20 and 40 overs is the way forward. Until that happens, we will be tinkering with the 50 over game on a week by week basis. To be fair though, fortunatley the longer format of 4 / 5 days and T20 are my favourites.... so changes to 50 overs wouldn't upset me.
I was tidying the loft over the weekend and came across some old Gillette Cup scorecards. 60 overs a side and 250 was a big score. I remember having a rule of thumb that 215 in a Lord's final was a par score. All the changes since have been designed to increase the boundary count which, as far as I'm concerned, is only a superficial factor in the entertainment value of cricket. If people want big hits, go and watch baseball.

I think the fielding restrictions in this World Cup have been too tight. Allow another fielder outside the circle and you won't get batsmen going aerial quite so often.
Yes but since the advent of t20 batsmen have developed more scoring areas and bulked up in the gym so that can clear the ropes. You can't turn the clock back. The game has changed, even test cricket scoring rates have increased whilst over-rates have dropped. Most tests don't go the distance anymore.

I think the game is more exciting but is you want to cut out the one-sided games then the weaker teams have to improve or play on slow wickets
I saw India win the 60 over world cup in 1983 (?) with a score of 180ish. It was an excellent game. I remember attending some great Lords finals too.

But times change and we have just had a 50 game world tournament where only a handful of games were memorable. The answer isnt to kick out the associates (they contributed magnificently)... the answer is to review the 50 over game and make the necessaty changes or make 40 overs the standard. Lets hope there is a 'lessons learnt' session asap.
This is a total disgrace and totally unacceptable. Elite sport is about selecting the best players for the job, not filling quotas.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/how...7285550233
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yes if that was the case it is wrong. It was a strange recall to be honest. Up to them if they want a winning team or a politically correct team.
It's the PC world we live in I'm afraid.
LE - aka John
Sport doesn't live in a vacuum and I could see why one might employ quotas for the greater good at times. If you still need quotas this long after the collapse of apartheid, though, it's not unreasonable to question whether they are working.
For once I agree with the do gooders... Quotas are a really excellent idea......... we could do with quotas in this country on mass unskilled imigration. Quotas in sport... fine.... as long as its not in the UK. Fancy knowing the only way you got picked was to forfil a quota.... As for SA... it is a sign of failure that they should (aledgidley) have to use them.
More on the quota system and political interference with team selection

http://ewn.co.za/2015/04/16/Mike-Horn-Pr...fered-with
There are GOOD Mugabe's