Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
Well two balls will do more for longer so more likely early wickets and as they keep harder more runs are scored at the death so bigger scores but also lesser scores for the poorer sides as well, hence more one sided games. My theory anyway.
Maybe it's1 gimmick too many,let the game be played naturally without power plays,fielding restrictions,2 balls etc.,just like proper cricket
Yes I agree Simon.
I think you are probably correct on that point... Too much fiddling with the 50 over format to sex it up can actually degrade what is now described as the "product". I don't think four such one sided quarters, plus many others too, has been good for the tournament. Clearly some countries batsmen have adapted to lessons from other formats and others haven't. Let's hope the last three games are crackers.... This wc desperately needs it. I suppose great semi's and a final are what tournaments are remembered for.
The trouble with cricket and world cup's is a bit like Rugby League and world cups. Not enough competitive sides to make the tournament stand out from the friendlies especially when there are 7 match series bolted onto the test series. I'd get rid of those and have triangular or Perth Challenge (1987) type tournaments to best optimise the potential of short form cricket. No need to have blocks of games like in test cricket

Cricket should organise fun competitions which lead to spontaneity and throws up different scenarios rather than being dictated to by the broadcasters which leads to predictability and ends up formulaic to suit the TV schedules. Would be a good way to increase number of internationals Ireland and Scotland are exposed to if they were part of an annual 5 nations tournament with England and the two touring sides.
Domestically,the oldJP format worked for fans of the short game,2 p.m.start& the only'gimmick' being bowlers on limited run- ups,fielding restrictions etc.slow the game down which surely defeats the object
Watching the first semi-final I counted ELEVEN commentators listed on screen - definitely a case of quantity over quality. Retiring cricketers must be queuing up at the doors of TV broadcasters.
"Look at the results. Look at the table. Everything else is just opinion"
Anyway that was more like it :-)
Great game, great finish and it's good to see New Zealand in the final.

a one sided 2nd semi final
That's what happens when you let these minor nations that can't play the game into the competition :-)
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
like the holders :-) Can't understand why the media built India's chances up so much to be honest, given their record against Australia recently. Starc is going to be a big threat if he gets picked in the ashes and how good is Smith now?
Would have got through an Asia region qualifying tournament though?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yes prob India and Sri Lanka would qualify from your asia group. England might struggle though
England would be in the Europe & Atlantic region along with the other European countries, the West Indies, USA & Canada etc

A 12 team world cup, with ALL teams having to qualify for the event, through regional tournaments, would be the best format.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Im not sure that would be good for England :-)

There was something I did like about the second sf.... and that was the anticipation. Thats what a wc needs. To be honest, I suppose that my criticism (outside any 40 / 50 over argument) of it wasnt the number of teams (the smaller nations did ok).... it was the time taken. There needed to be more games a day.
I agree about the scheduling. If the broadcasters weren't padding out their airtime it could have been made a much tighter and more attention grabbing tournament. How many weeks is it since England were knocked out?

Meanwhile, I am reminded of this quiz question: who is the only man (I think) to have played international cricket and scored an FA Cup hat trick?
(27-03-2015, 08:49 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I agree about the scheduling. If the broadcasters weren't padding out their airtime it could have been made a much tighter and more attention grabbing tournament. How many weeks is it since England were knocked out?

Meanwhile, I am reminded of this quiz question: who is the only man (I think) to have played international cricket and scored an FA Cup hat trick?

You think he was a man?  Is this a transgender question?
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Serious reply - is it Tim Buzaglo?  FA Cup hat-trick plus cricket for Gibraltar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Buzaglo
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
It is indeed. A name well known to Woking and Baggies fans but probably not many others.

I wasn't sure about Denis Compton. He scored 15 goals for Arsenal but I doubt if there was a Cup hat trick amongst them.

Do you think England could beat Gibraltar?